Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

  Chapter Fifty-nine: Watched Over

"I soon found I could focus my will enough to wall the Ring away from my friends. It took an effort, and the Ring did not like it. After a while it stopped trying to bother Merry, Pippin and Sam directly-- though it made all sorts of threats about what was going to happen to them when the Dark Lord finally got his hands on it. I learned to simply tell it firmly and sharply "No!" whenever it got too insistent; then it would subside to a muttering and mumbling whisper again.

I could tell sometimes that it was whispering at Strider as well, but he did not seem to react to it. I think he must have heard it though I never dared ask him if he did. But he held strong."

Then after Weathertop, just knowing that I could protect my cousins and Sam helped me to hold strong.

And the Ring never once repeated its temptation of pretending it could restore my parents."

Frodo looked at Adamanta. "Do you think it was truly them, watching over me?"

She looked at him thoughtfully for a moment. "That is not a question I can answer with any certainty, but I have a feeling that it very well might have been. Or perhaps it was that Lorien was watching over your dreams that night. Yet somehow I do not believe that the Ring would have cowered from a mere dream."

"It's a nice thought, that they were watching over me."

"Yes, it is. And it wakened the strength you needed, I believe, to protect your friends and to continue your journey."

Frodo nodded. "I think so, too. They never came to me in the same way again. Yet sometimes when things were getting dark and difficult, I'd waken from a pleasant dream and feel they'd been with me."

Adamanta leaned over and embraced him for the first time, placing a kiss on top of his head.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List