Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

Chapter Fifty-eight: The Strength of Love

" 'YOU KNOW YOU CANNOT OVERCOME ME. YOU ARE WEAK; YOU CANNOT PROTECT YOURSELF. GIVE ME OVER TO THE MAN-- HE IS BIG AND STRONG...'

I tried to shut it out, but it did not go away; it kept on whispering at me. It offered me a chance to return home if I'd give it to Strider, it offered me all sorts of things."

"Then one night shortly before Weathertop, it offered to return my parents to me. I had never believed its promises before; I did not really believe this one-- yet it hurt. I could sense a feeling of triumph. I fell into an uneasy sleep. It kept whispering at me, and I didn't know if I was asleep or awake...'YOU KNOW THE POWER I HAVE; TAKE ME TO MY MASTER, AND I WILL BRING YOUR PARENTS BACK; I WILL TAKE YOU BACK TO THE CHILDHOOD YOU NEVER HAD; YOU WILL NEVER KNOW SORROW OR GRIEF...'

It was so painful. And then I heard a gentle voice, one I had not heard since I was twelve. She said 'Stop it. You have no such power.' And then I heard another voice, and he said 'You will not tell him that again. We know we can't quiet you for once and all, but you will never tell him that again.'

I looked at my parent's faces, and they smiled. My father placed a hand on my shoulder. 'Stay strong, son, hold fast.' My mother placed a kiss upon my brow, and I fell deeply asleep, dreaming of fishing with Merry along the Brandywine.

The Ring subsided for a day or two, then tried something new: it tried to whisper at Sam, Merry and Pippin. For the first time, I used my own will to wall it off from them."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List