Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

Chapter Fifty-seven: The Voice of the Ring

"Thank you, Frodo." Adamanta sat down next to him. "That was a lovely thing to hear."

"Sometimes I do feel as though you truly are my grandmother."

She smiled. "You miss your parents very much, even now."

He nodded. "They were wrenched from me so suddenly; and too," he shuddered, "I had the unfortunate experience of seeing them when they were raised from the River."

"Oh, my dear lad!" Her eyes sparked with tears.

"Can I tell you something I have never told anyone? Not even Gandalf; though he may have seen it in my thoughts when I was ill. But if he did, he never said anything about it."

"Of course you can!"

"When I left the Shire with the Ring," he hesitated briefly, and then said in surprise, "that's interesting!"

"Always before, when I spoke of the Ring, I felt as though I was worrying at a sore tooth. Now it feels like the sore tooth is gone!" He laughed. "Ah, well! That's good, I suppose. As I was saying when I first left the Shire, I was not especially aware of the Ring's 'voice'. A few times I felt an urge at odds with my own sense to put it on, but I wasn't sure I could blame that on the Ring. After we left the Barrow and Tom Bombadil, I thought I could detect a whispering, only I could not tell what it was trying to say. It faded in and out.

It was not until we met Strider, actually, it was the moment we read Bilbo's poem in the letter, that I heard it distinctly: 'NO'. I was startled to suddenly realise that it was the Ring's voice, and from that time on, I began to hear what it was saying to me more clearly."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List