Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

Chapter Fifty-two: Good Things Come to Those Who Bait

Now in addition to walks on the beach, rides to the Vale were added to Frodo's and Bilbo's routine. Frodo rode there on his pony about once a week; less often he and Bilbo would take the trap.

One morning Frodo rose before Bilbo (which happened more frequently than it used to) and went to prepare first breakfast. It was a lovely morning, so he set it out on the terrace. Bilbo woke to join him; the smell of breakfast cooking had roused him, as Frodo knew it would.

As the two of them tucked into their toast and eggs and fruit, accompanied by fragrant tea, Frodo said, "It's a nice day, Uncle Bilbo! Do you fancy a ride out to the Vale?"

"No, I don't think so, lad. I've a letter to write. But certainly go if you wish! I am sure you will enjoy the ride."

"Do you mind if I take the trap instead of my pony today?"

"Of course not, Frodo!"

After they had done the washing up after breakfast, he shoved some fruit and bread into a cloth sack, fetched his fishing gear, and harnessed the pony.

Frodo had come to think of the little river that ran through the Vale as "the Water", such as the one which ran through Hobbiton and Bywater, and now he wanted to try his luck. He arrived mid-morning, and choosing his flies carefully, he waded out to cast his line. He soon had a strike, and not long after that he had a nice string of brown trout. He had been so absorbed in his sport that he'd not realised he'd missed elevenses.

No matter. He took his gear back to the trap, and drove on up the Hill to Adamanta's smial. Fish for lunch sounded quite tasty.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List