Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

Chapter Thirty-five: Luncheon Conversation, part one

Adamanta noticed Frodo seemed lost in thought, and wondered what had made him so pensive. But the arrival of the servants bringing the food drew everyone's attention away from conversation.

A long table was placed to one side of the veranda next to a low wall on which the guests could seat themselves. One section of the wall was higher and built like a set of steps, and it was there that the places had been set for Frodo, Bilbo and Adamanta. They could sit on the top step and be comfortable, without their toes dangling.

The food was varied and delicious; there were soups of clear broths, salads of young vegetables, cheeses, stuffed eggs, and yeasty smelling breads of many shapes and hues and in honor of the hobbit guests, a huge platter of mushrooms, all of it served with a pale golden mead that tasted of heather. Frodo and Bilbo were in earnest conversation with their hostess Celebrian, who sat to their other side, and Adamanta found she was speaking once more with Galadriel.

"I am glad you were able to help Frodo and the others in their time of great need. It seems to me that without your help all would have been lost."

"I did little enough; I would that I could have done more."

Adamanta shook her head, "I think what you did was just what was needed. He told me how desperately he wished for light in the Dark Land; you granted him that."

"Light is always needed when times are dark. But I think he also owed much of his success to you, now that I know of your part in his heritage."

"Me?" Adamanta laughed. "There are more generations between myself and Frodo than even the most eager of hobbits could count."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List