Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

The Wizard's Confession, part 1


Frodo noticed that Gandalf looked just as surprised as he and Bilbo felt at the abrupt departure of their guest. He gave Gandalf a rather annoyed glance. "Well, now I know what you meant when you said that you knew more about hobbits' origins than hobbits did themselves! Were you ever planning on telling us any of this?"

Gandalf chuckled, and shook his head. "It was not quite like that, my friends. When I came to Middle-earth, I lost much of my knowledge and memories. When it was necessary for my task, I would remember and know what it was I needed. But often the knowledge was no more than a feeling.

But Mirimë had called me aside, after I had finally been persuaded to my task, when I had assumed this form. She told me much the same tale as she told you two this very day."

The first time I encountered hobbits, I had a feeling of kinship to them, to their Pity, and their love for the land and for all that is green and growing. But I did not remember Mirimë. Yet when I met Gerontius and heard for the first time the tale of the 'Took fairy wife', it had a ring of truth to me. I then spent much time looking into the history of your people."

"But you remember now?" asked Bilbo, pausing to fill and light his pipe. He offered his pouch first to Gandalf and then to Frodo, and soon the three were puffing away together.

"I am grateful to Samwise for his gift of seeds," said Gandalf. "I never thought I would have a supply of Longbottom Leaf after we sailed."

"Nevermind that," said Frodo, blowing a smoke-ring. "What did Mirimë say of hobbits before you came to Middle-earth?"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List