Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stars May Collide  by Rose Gamgee

* * *

Chapter 12 - Lovesick Tweenagers

September, 1426 S.R.

* * *

Heart fluttering wildly in her chest, Diamond eagerly tore open the envelope and pulled out the parchment that was inside.

Dearest Diamond,

Sometimes it feels like my entire life has become centered on waiting for more letters from you.  I miss you so much.  Thankfully, my memory of you hasn’t faded in the least.  If I close my eyes, I can imagine that we’re together in that same grove.  You would be sitting there with your sketchbook in your lap, using your incredible talents to create something beautiful.  And I would simply be watching you, trying to think of ways to describe how much I love you without sounding ridiculous - which is something I probably haven’t done a very good job of so far.  I must sound like a lovesick tweenager.

Diamond laughed softly as she read that last sentence.  In her last letter to Pippin, she had described herself as sounding like a lovesick tweenager; apparently, he had found that description amusing.

In your last letter, you asked about the seal I use on my envelopes, and if that tree had any sort of significance for me.  A simple answer would be, yes, that tree is important to me.  But a complex answer - which is the type I would rather give you - is not the kind of tale that can be told in a letter.  I would much rather tell it in person, and as soon as possible.  I don’t suppose this could be arranged somehow?  I mean, if it’s too sudden, I can wait.  But I do want to see you again, and I thought that a storytelling was as good an excuse as any.  If you do want us to meet, then just give me a date, and I shall meet you in our grove at the appointed time.

If not, I still love you, and I hope we can see each other again soon.

Ever yours,

Pippin

Diamond reread the letter several times to make sure her eyes had not deceived her.  But there it was, in plain ink - Pippin was asking to visit her.

Oh, Pippin, she thought with a smile.  How could you think I wouldn’t want to see you again?

She sat down on the floor and reached under her bed, pulling out a sheet of paper, a quill, and a bottle of ink.  As she pondered how best to put into sensible words her eager acceptance of Pippin’s request, she felt a strange tingling sensation on her right cheek.  Smiling, she brought her fingertips up to lightly caress the spot where Pippin had planted that gentle kiss all those weeks ago. 

Her heartbeat quickened as the memory of that sweet moment came rushing back to her, just as vivid and enthralling as when it had first occurred.  She clearly remembered the love that had shone in Pippin’s eyes as he’d brought his lips closer and closer to hers before finally, with a slight turn of his head, placing a soft, chaste kiss on her cheek.

Diamond had been kissed on the cheek before, by various family members; but there had been something different about the feel of Pippin’s lips on her skin.  It had felt sweeter, more intimate, and she had wished for it to last much longer.  It had almost hurt to feel him break that loving contact.

Although a small part of her could not help but feel slightly pained at the fact that Pippin had settled for her cheek as opposed to her lips, the greater part of her had been overwhelmed upon seeing him bring his face so close to hers.  She had been both excited and frightened at the feel of his breath brushing so lightly against her lips for those briefest of seconds.  Yet that small part of her could not help but wonder, fantasize about what it would be like to feel his gentle kiss against her lips...

She shook her head slightly, hoping to force the thought away.  Blushing, she wondered if Pippin would have been horrified to know that she had been thinking such thoughts.

But he very nearly initiated it, she reminded herself.

“Oh, what does it matter?” she proclaimed in exasperation.  She leaned against the bed with a sigh, staring at the blank parchment that lay on the floor in front of her.

Diamond’s life had become awfully confusing of late, but there were still a few things she knew without a doubt:  that she loved Pippin, that he loved her, and that she badly needed to see him again.

A tired smile coming to her face, Diamond began to write her response.

* * *

The door creaked open, and out of the corner of his eye Pippin could see a small head of light brown curls peering inside at him.

Without turning, he said, “You are supposed to knock before entering, Miss Brandybuck.”  But he was grinning, and Lily knew that her older cousin would never really be strict with her.  She bounded into the room and climbed onto the bed where Pippin had laid out some clothes and a traveling satchel.

“Uncle Pip?”

“Yes, Liliadoc?”

“Where’re you going?”

As Pippin haphazardly rolled up one of his shirts to stuff into the satchel, he turned to smile at the little girl.  “I’m going to visit a very dear friend of mine.”

“Lady friend?”

Pippin raised his eyebrows.  “What has your old Da been telling you about me?”

“Heard him talk to Mama ‘bout you.”  Lily shrugged, grinning innocently, and Pippin shook his head and sighed.  But a few seconds later he leapt forward and tackled the girl, tickling her mercilessly.  She squealed, swatting lightly at his attacking hands.

“This will teach you not to spread nasty rumors about your cousin!” he said, running his fingers up and down her sides, which he knew to be extremely ticklish.

Lily’s shrieks apparently attracted the attention of her father; Merry soon entered the room and rushed to the aid of his daughter.

Snatching her off the bed and out of Pippin’s reach, Merry held the girl over her attacker so that she could tickle his stomach with her feet.

“Mercy!” cried Pippin.

Laughing, Merry gathered Lily up, ceasing the onslaught.  “I thought you would’ve learned by now, Pip, never to threaten a Brandybuck.”

Pippin nodded at his little cousin.  “Especially one so well-guarded as that scamp.”

“Exactly,” said Merry with a grin, pressing the tip of his nose against Lily’s.

Pippin chuckled softly as he watched his friend kiss the little hobbit girl gently.  Lily was very much her father’s daughter, with the same blue-grey eyes, rounded nose, and strong jaw.  And Merry would dote on her whenever possible, buying her only the finest clothes and bragging on her to no one less than the King of Gondor.  Though Estella loved her daughter no less than her husband did, she hoped that the addition of a new child to Crickhollow would prevent Lily from becoming irredeemably spoiled by him.  But Pippin had a feeling that Merry would find a way to sufficiently spoil both of his children.

Merry pulled his eyes away from Lily long enough to notice his cousin’s gaze.  And while his daughter busied herself by playing with his hair, Merry asked in as light a tone as possible, “When are you leaving, then?”

Returning to his packing, Pippin replied, “A few hours.  I want to cover most of the distance to Long Cleeve during the night.  I’ll find a nice spot to sleep for most of tomorrow, and I should be outside of Long Cleeve by sundown.”

A grin pulling at his lips, Merry inquired, “Are you excited about seeing your lady-fair again?”

His eyes wide and bright, Pippin responded, “Are you mad?  It’s a miracle I’m not dancing all over this room right now!”

“Perhaps when you meet her this time you’ll be able to progress past the cheek-kissing,” Merry remarked impishly.

Pippin attempted to toss an icy glare at Merry, but a grin escaped him instead.  “For your information, my dear cousin, I do not wish to pressure her.”

“Why Pippin, that is surprisingly considerate of you.”

“I’m glad you approve.”

“But you want to kiss her.”

“I’d be a fool not to.”

Merry laughed and shook his head.  “I can hardly believe my little cousin has fallen in love.  And fallen particularly hard, it seems.”  He regarded Pippin thoughtfully as he rested his head against Lily’s.  “Something tells me that you’re going to make that lass very happy, Pip.”

Pippin looked at his cousin, his eyes bright with the eagerness he’d retained through everything, including “growing up.”  “Really?”

Grinning, Merry replied, “Really.”

Pippin nodded resolutely, clasping his traveling pack.  “That’s just what I intend to do.”

Merry jerked his head towards the door.  “Come on, then.  Estella will want to get another meal in you before you leave.”

* * *





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List