Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stars May Collide  by Rose Gamgee

This is just a short chapter to establish (I hope) some of Diamond's character. I find it both exciting and nerve-wracking to write for her, because we know so little about her and where she comes from (I do, at least; if anyone else has any extra information about her and the North-tooks, I'd really appreciate hearing it).

* * *

Chapter 2 - The Quiet Lass

* * *

“He’ll be here soon!”

“I wonder what he looks like...”

“Do you think he’s smart?”

“Do you think he’s handsome?”

A small crowd of hobbit lasses stood in the main room of the North-tooks’ smial; all were giggling and chattering eagerly as they awaited the arrival of the Thain and - more importantly - his son, Peregrin.  All but one, that is.  A dark-haired young girl was making a desperate attempt at escaping her tittering cousins.  When she had successfully passed them by, the girl unclenched her teeth and let out a deep sigh of relief.

“Diamond?” spoke a soft voice from behind her.

“Oh, hello, Fildigrim,” Diamond said to her brother.

“I see you have successfully evaded the herd of giggling lasses that seemed to have gathered in our sitting room,” Fildigrim remarked with a smile.

Diamond returned the smile, saying, “Barely.”  Brother and sister turned to walk down the hallway towards their bedrooms.  “I don’t see why they’re all getting so worked up.  It’s not as though he’s here to find a bride, after all.”

“Not openly, no.”  When Diamond raised a quizzical eyebrow at this statement, Fildigrim went on.  “Well, think about it - Peregrin Took is probably one of the most eligible bachelors in the Shire, not to mention the richest, with an important title to uphold.  Odds are, his father is after him to get started with producing heirs for the Thainship.  I’m sure Dad sees this as an excellent opportunity to strengthen old ties by marrying one of his daughters or nieces off to the future Thain.”

“Oh,” Diamond said.  “Yes, I suppose that should’ve been obvious.”  So that was why her cousins and sisters had been so excited, spending such a long time dressing themselves up and fixing their hair.  “Well, I can’t help but feel sorry for Mister Peregrin, having to come here and face all those potential wives.”

Fildigrim had a way of seeing past his sister’s words to find what she was truly thinking and feeling.  “You’re not upset, are you?” he asked worriedly.

“Why would I be?”  Her voice was steady but rushed, and Fildigrim caught the slightest hint of a wince flash across her face.

“Because Mum and Dad won’t want you to be among the potential wives,” he replied gently, pityingly.

Diamond laughed nervously.  “Oh, don’t be silly, Fildigrim.  Why would I want to get married?  I’m not even of age yet!”

But Diamond knew she had in no way masked her disappointment.  When the pair reached the door to her bedroom, Diamond said goodbye to her brother and quickly escaped into her room, closing the door behind her.

She sat down at the vanity and stared thoughtfully into the small mirror in front of her, assessing her features as she had done so many times before.  Though Diamond did not find herself particularly attractive, she also did not believe that she was hideous, exactly.  She had to admit, though, as she carefully brushed her dark curls, that her features were not what one might call interesting.  Add to her plain face a figure that bordered on scrawny, and Diamond had to acknowledge the fact that she was mediocre at best.

Her physical appearance, however, was not the main reason that Diamond’s parents did not want the future Thain, or any lad for that matter, to consider her a prospective bride.  They had other reasons for that, reasons that Diamond had grown to accept and eventually agree with.  Unfortunately, her acceptance of the situation had not yet lead to her contentment with it.

Letting out a deep sigh, Diamond reached into a drawer and pulled out her favorite hair pin, which had a small carving of a pale violet flower on it.  She held it up to her curls for a moment, admiring the way the candlelight danced upon the little flower, and briefly considering wearing it, perhaps to catch the eye of the young visitor.

And what will you do if you do happen to catch his attention? she thought to herself suddenly.  Engage him in awkward conversation?

Diamond shuddered slightly at the thought.  Conversations had never been her strong point.  No, in the end she preferred to stay as far away from being the center of attention as possible.

Besides, she thought.  For all I know, Peregrin Took could be a conceited braggart.  In any case, he’s probably not worth getting my hopes up.

Feeling slightly better, Diamond replaced the hair pin and walked out of her room to join her family.

* * *





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List