Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Fiondil's Tapestry  by Fiondil

LAUGH: iLálala Vala

SUMMARY: For those who wondered how a certain inn in Aman got its name. This takes place in my Elf, Interrupted universe.

****

"So what are you going to name your inn?" Vánadur asked Carnifindo as he helped the would-be innkeeper with the tables. The carpenter had slapped together several tables for his friend, though the craftsmanship was no less exact than if he’d been commissioned to make them for the High King himself. Vánandur prided himself in his work, and even though he had only just achieved his mastership, his skill in woodcarving and carpentry was already well-known among the people of Eldamas.

"Well, Isilmë wants to call it the ‘Aranel Indis’," Carnifindo answered with a grunt as they set the table against the far wall.

Vánandur gave his friend a surprised look. "Whatever for?"

"In honor of the marriage of Lady Indil to Lord Tamurilon," Carnifindo replied, naming the event of the year — nay, the yén — when the eldest daughter of the High King had finally married one of Ingwë’s closest and most beloved of Councillors.

The woodworker snorted in disbelief. "What do you want to call it?"

Carnifindo gave his friend a sheepish look, unconsciously running a hand through the reddish-gold locks for which he’d been named. "I thought I would name it after whichever of the Valar first stepped in for a pint."

Vánandur felt his eyebrows leave his forehead altogether. "You’re not serious! Why would any of the Valar want or need to stop at an inn, any inn?"

Carnifindo shrugged, now feeling embarrassed and thinking perhaps he should go with his wife’s suggestion after all. "I... I guess I just thought it would be nice if... well..." he sighed and shook his head. "Never mind, it’s a silly idea. Isilmë is probably right and we should just go with ‘Princess Bride’. You want to grab that bench and I’ll get the other?" he asked, pointing to one of the benches that Vánandur had made to go with the tables.

Vánandur nodded and gave his friend a wicked grin. "What would you’ve named this place if Lord Námo had been the one to stop by first? ‘Mandos’ Antechamber’?"

Carnifindo laughed. "I could put up a sign that says, ‘Fëar on their way to Mandos get a free pint’."

Vánadur joined his friend in laughter as they continued bringing in tables and benches, never seeing the two unclad Maiar who had been wandering through the town and had overheard the conversation.

Manveru turned to his brother in the Thought of Ilúvatar and grinned. "I’ll tell Lord Manwë if you want to tell Lord Námo."

Erunáro laughed and nodded as the two thought themselves away.

****

"So, who’s going to do it?" Varda asked the other Valar as they all gathered in Manwë and Varda’s mansion in Valmar, taking their ease. The Queen of Stars had a wicked grin that was matched by her fellow Valar.

"We’ll draw straws," Manwë suggested. "Shortest straw gets to go."

They all agreed and Manwë gestured to Eönwë, who stepped forward with fourteen reeds clutched in his hand. One by one, beginning with the Elder King, each of the Valar chose a reed. Eönwë stood before each Vala in such a way that none of the others could see the length of the straw chosen. When he was finished, he bowed to them all, then stepped aside as the Valar opened their fists. There was silence for a long moment as they each compared their reed with the others.

"Well, I guess I’ll go see if the ale is any good," Tulkas finally said with a mischievous grin, and then he started laughing as he faded from view.

****

All words are Quenya. 

iLálala Vala: The Laughing Vala

Aranel Indis: Princess Bride

Yén: Elvish century of 144 solar years.

Fëar: Plural of fëa: Spirit, soul.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List