Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Rider: Not All Those Who Wander  by Branwyn

Estel stared at him. “Maglor? But he …” he stopped.

“You have learned of Maglor in your lessons,” Elrond reminded him. “And of all the sons of Fëanor, and their quest for the Silmarils.”

“Yes. But … Maglor and Maedhros kidnapped you – you and Elros. Why would Elros want to find him again?”

Elrond frowned. “How much did Erestor tell you? Yes, Maglor took us to try and force our parents to return the Silmaril. But by then he was sick and weary of his oath, and knew in his heart it was wrong. He had lost his father, and all but one of his brothers. Amrod and Amras were also twins, did you know that?” he added.

Estel nodded.

“Maglor could have killed us when Elwing took the Silmaril. By his oath, he should have. But he showed pity and compassion for two orphaned children. He defended us from the wrath of Maedhros, protected us and raised us as his own. He grew to love us – and we loved him.” Elrond smiled. “Now, I know how he felt.”

Estel gave a slow nod. “I see – at last, I see. I never understood before why Maglor acted as he did; why Erestor said you regarded him as a father.”

“And now?”

“And now – well, I know that you and Elladan and Elrohir are not my true family, but you have cared for me and treated me as your own ever since I can remember. In every way that matters they are my brothers – and you are my father. The circumstances were different – very different – but I never understood before how or why you came to love Maglor.

Elrond smiled. “So can you see why Elros and I wanted to search for him?”

Estel nodded. “Yes. So what happened next?”


***


Elrond fell silent, staring at his brother. “Maglor.” He could not hide the love or yearning in his voice. “To find him again – to see him – to talk to him once more …” He nodded decisively. “Yes. I will help you, brother.” He embraced Elros again, then turned to the elves who still stood silently waiting.

“This is my brother. He … he has requested my help in a quest. It is a personal matter, so we will be travelling alone.”

There was a sharp note of protest. “Lord Elrond! You cannot simply leave like this! You cannot expect us to forsake you.”

He sighed. “Peace, Bereg! I must go – I have to. You are to return without me, but I will come back to you. You have command for now.”

Bereg shook his head. “Elrond, you should not ride off alone like this. Take some of us with you – we can help you in this quest!”

“Alone?” Elrond glanced at Elros, still standing silently by his horse. “I will not be alone.” He smiled, joy at their reunion and reconciliation welling up inside, and mixing with excitement at the thought of the task ahead. “I will be with my brother.”


***

“So, my brother,” Elrond asked as they set camp. “Have you any idea where Maglor may be found?”

Elros grinned. “None at all. But you already have a reputation for lore and wisdom – why do you think I sought you out? And you were probably closer to him that I was. Where do you think he would go?”

“I remember he loved the sea and the shore and the wilderness. And the last tidings I heard of him were from Eglarest – but that was many years ago. Who knows where he may have wandered now?”

Elros sighed. “Eglarest? Well, it is a start.” He glanced at Elrond. “Do you think we will find him?”

Elrond shrugged rather helplessly. “Who knows? I would dearly love to see him again. And I think – as the Valar themselves set you this task – that it is not hopeless. Perhaps they themselves will guide us.”

“I am glad I thought to seek you out, my brother. You encourage me.” He gazed at Elrond across the flickering fire. “And I am glad to have you at my side again. I missed you.”

As he fell into sleep, Elrond realised he felt a sense of peace and contentment that had been missing for many years. He felt whole again.

***

As they rode he felt his bond with Elros reforging itself. They spoke of their hopes and dreams, of the few memories they had of Elwing, and of their childhood with Maglor. As they spoke, he understood more and more why Elros had chosen as he did, and the slight bitterness and resentment that still lingered finally faded away. Whatever the outcome of their quest, he knew the Valar had already granted them the greatest gift – they had found one another again.

They travelled further and further west through forests and across moorland. The rains eased, and at times a pale, watery sun peered out from behind the clouds. The land was deserted, and at night they slept without keeping watch on the barren landscape.

Elrond found himself dreaming of Maglor, dreams which grew more and more vivid each night. He saw Maglor walking alone along a deserted beach, or wandering on a high, windy clifftop. Always he was by the sea, and always he was alone. In his dreams he could hear the sound of waves crashing on the shore, or wind hissing though the clifftop grasses. And always he could hear Maglor singing – plaintive songs of loss and loneliness, full of grief and regret.

After a week of journeying they drew nearer to the sea. The wind freshened, and brought with it the scent of salt and waves and seaweed. The moorland gave way to high dunes of sand dotted with clumps of long, sharp-edged grasses, and beyond them, across a long stretch of wet, glistening sand, they saw the sea.

As he slept that night among the shelter of the dunes, Elrond’s dreams seemed more real than ever. He saw Maglor as always, a lonely figure walking at the water’s edge, watching the gulls wheeling overhead. He sang of sorrow and pain – such deep, lasting sorrow that Elrond wept with him.

He awoke in the morning to the cry of seabirds, tears still wet upon his face. And faintly, far off in the distance, he could still hear singing.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List