Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Thirty- Four – The Bitterest of All

Listöwel turned towards Indis. “Faramir’s things are all packed. I will not bring court attire with me; I hope to let Imrahil take care of that part of Faramir’s care. I have had enough of ‘court’ for at least a month.”

“Listöwel,” Indis began, hesitantly, “I wish you to remain here. Ragnhild will accompany Borondir and Faramir.” She turned to her counselor, “If you agree?”

“Thank you, Indis! I am honored to have your confidence.”

As her nephew stepped into the room, Indis bit her lip. Faramir looked so much older than when he had left, what? Only ten days earlier? Her heart broke a little more. He would be grown by the time he returned from Dol Amroth. A chuckle burst through her sorrow; he would only be gone a month, no more; no need to be maudlin.

Faramir looked at her and smiled, then ran into her arms. “I will miss Éomund. I asked him to come with us to uncles but he said no. He said his wife misses him. I can understand that. I missed you, Amma, and we are not even betrothed.”

She stifled the laughter that tried to escape. “Indeed, Faramir, we are not betrothed, but we can miss each other just as much.”

The boy yawned. “When do we leave, Amma? Are we taking the boat?”

“The boat.” She stared at him in surprise. “Yes, the boat. Why did I not think of that?” She turned to the Warden. “Húrin, is there time to outfit our boat?”

“Only an hour will be needed. The crew stands ever ready. Supplies must be put aboard, but it can be done.”

“Have it done, then. Nay, never mind ordering it, Húrin. Please, go to the quay yourself and watch the preparations. Make sure none question.”

“I understand. It will be done. I do not think it wise to return until Faramir is aboard the ship; I will send Hirgon, when it is ready.”

She nodded. The Warden stood, turned to Faramir, and stopped, uncertain of how he should act, for Faramir did not yet know Indis would not accompany him. At last, his love of the boy overtook any sense. He knelt and hugged him fiercely. “You will be sorely missed, my Steward. Just now returned to us and once again off.” Faramir returned the embrace and the old Warden’s eyes misted. He stood. “Borondir, take care of him with your life this time.”

The soldier blushed. “I will, my lord. He will not leave my side.”

Húrin nodded and left the room.

Faramir stood and gazed at those he loved. Indis could see his mind whirling, knew the boy felt the tension in the room, and wondered. “Come to me, Faramir.” She sat at the table and lifted him onto her lap. “I will not be going with you to Dol Amroth. Both her Steward and her Regent cannot be gone and leave the City untended. You understand?”

He nodded. “I will truly miss you.” He began to weep. “But I understand. I am just tired of traveling. I am sorry.”

“Nay!” she cried and held him tighter. “It is not your fault that you must once again voyage.”

“Amma,” the boy looked at her, questioningly. “Why am I being sent to Dol Amroth?”

“I told you. Your uncle wishes you to see your new cousin.”

He sat still, then began to shake his head. “Nay. That is not it. Is there…” The boy swallowed convulsively. “Is it because of the bad man who was with Éomund?”

“What bad man?” Indis asked in wonder.

“The one who smells the same as the healer who watched me being hurt.”

“Oh! By the Valar, Faramir. Who was it?”

“The healer that came when I sickened after Ada died. You remember him. He came with us to Minas Tirith. When I was brought before Amandil, he was there and he…” The boy shuddered.

Indis held him tighter. “You speak of the Rohir healer?”

Faramir nodded, tears streaming down his face. “When I was before Amandil, he stood behind his chair.” The boy’s breathing quickened. “He thought I did not see him, but I did. And now that other man is here and he smells the same.” Faramir’s eyes went wild and he began screaming. “Boromir! Boromir! Save me!”

Indis held him tightly, willed her calm to imbue him. She whispered over and over that all was well. At last, she felt him cease the struggle. “You will not be harmed again, Faramir. As long as I live, you will not be harmed again.”

“Why is he here?” he sobbed. “Has he come for me?”

“I think he has. So I am sending you to your uncle with Borondir and Targon. You will be safe there. I will send this bad man away and then, once I am sure he is far away, you can return home.”

“Thank you, Amma. But please come with me.”

“I cannot. We must trick this man. If he knows where you travel, he might follow. I would kill him if he did, but I would prefer he leave us and go back to his tower. Do not be frightened, Faramir.”

Borondir strode forward and knelt at Indis’ feet. He put a hand on Faramir’s knee. “I will protect you with my life, my Lord Steward.” Faramir cuddled closer to Indis. The warrior continued, more for himself than the boy. “I have failed you once; I will not fail you again. Targon will come with us too, as will Ragnhild. We will sail the ship to your uncles and there, you will find peace.”

Faramir did not hear. He had fallen fast asleep.

“He is exhausted and yet I send him off again.”

“Indis. You do what is best. We cannot fight the wizard. But take this to heart. Faramir did not faint when fear o’ertook him. Therefore, the spell must be broken,” Borondir stood. “That is a good thing.”

She smiled through her tears. “It is. Is all in readiness?”

Ragnhild stepped forward. “The trunks are packed. Targon brought Faramir’s clothes and such. None watch what a boy does. It has been a saving grace for us, having such a quick-witted boy as ally.” She knelt at Indis’ side. “I am sorry about the leech from the Mark. I would know his name and go there and kill him myself.” The fury in her face spoke more than her words.

“A healer from Rohan was found dead in Rath Dinen. I believe it is the one you would now kill. It seems Amandil did us a favor, at least in this instance. Now, are you packed?” At Ragnhild’s nod, she continued, “Within the quarter hour, we will leave. Borondir,” the guard stood forward, “we will leave in small groups. I would have you take Faramir. I am glad he sleeps; it will be a harrowing experience, sneaking from the Tower.”

“You should use the secret stairs that Targon showed us, Indis. They lead to the dungeons, then out onto the Pelennor. I will remain here, in case any wonder at your absence.”

“Yes, Listöwel. A wise thought. Let us begin the journey then; it will take longer this way than through the Courtyard and the City.”

Borondir took the sleeping Faramir from Indis’ arms. Balan entered the room, bringing with him two guards from the elite Tower Guard. They picked up the trunks and followed Balan. Indis opened the secret door and noted that none of those with her even flinched in surprise. They took the stairs downwards to the hall of the Third Company and then down more stairs to the dungeons. Almost an hour went by when they finally reached the end of the stairs. Targon had joined them near the buttery. He opened the door and peered out. At his signal, the little procession began its forward progress. The moon was only a slit in the sky, hidden occasionally by light clouds. The light was enough to only see their feet before them, but Borondir knew this path well and led them to the quay.

Húrin ran forward. He had been watching the road and smiled when he saw the direction they came from. “Wise woman, indeed,” he greeted Indis. “All here?”

“Yes. Lead us on.”

“The boat waits. It is fitted and ready. The crew consists of those we know loyal to Gondor. They served your brother well. They are experienced in the journey to Dol Amroth. The captain knows naught but that his passenger is Lord Faramir and his retinue.”

“Thank you, Húrin.” They had reached the boat by now. She noted that the streets and docks were empty, aside from the dock that led to the Steward’s own ship. Quickly, they made their way up the gangplank and stood upon the deck. “Take Faramir below, Borondir. Targon, go with him.” Both nodded and left her. She turned to the captain. “Captain Maraher. I would speak with you alone.”

The captain nodded and led Indis to his quarters. He closed and latched the door behind them. “Tea?”

“I came not for a social call. Long have you served my brother and the House of Húrin, Maraher. I come to you now with the greatest of need. Gondor is under attack once again, by treachery. I bring our Steward, Lord Faramir, to you and place him in your hands for safekeeping. Borondir, one of his captains, will guard Faramir on this journey and beyond. You will take them to Dol Amroth and not leave Faramir until he stands before the throne of Adrahil. Do you understand?”

The captain’s face had blanched white as Indis spoke, but slowly, the color rose. Indis saw his hands clench the horn at his side in anger. He knelt at her feet. “Know that I and my men will guard our Steward with our lives. I know the best and fastest ways to Dol Amroth. I will send an errand-rider as soon as we arrive.”

“Nay. I am sending with you my most trusted rider, Hirgon. He will bring the message to me; no other will do.”

“As you wish, my Regent. Will you fare well Faramir now? I would be away as quickly as possible. Stealth will be needed, I see.”

“Thank you, Captain. I will go to Faramir now, but only for a moment. Cast off as soon as I leave the ship.”

He bowed, unlatched the door and watched her leave, his brow furrowed.

She walked purposefully towards the Steward’s cabin, climbed down the stairs, and knocked on the door. Borondir opened the peering hole, sighed, and unlatched the door. She stepped inside. He quickly closed and latched the door behind her.

Faramir ran to her. “I thought you left already without a fare well.” The boy held her tightly.

She bent and lifted him up. “In a very short time, dearest Faramir, I will not be able to lift you up. You grow too fast, my darling. Stay little a bit longer, for my sake. Do not grow up whilst you are away.”

The boy giggled. “I cannot help growing, Amma. Everyone does it, you know.”

“I know.” She sighed heavily. “But I would have you in my arms, or upon my lap, for many years to come.”

“I will try, Amma, but I do not think it will work.”

“That is all I can ask,” she smiled gently. “I love you, melethron nîn. Know that always. I will see you again, in one short month. Obey Borondir as you would me?”

“I will, Amma,” the boy smiled. “As I obey you.” He giggled.

“Now, none of that, dear boy. I mean when you truly obey me. None of your adventures and such. Not now.” Her brow creased. “Faramir. I will not say you are in danger, but you must be wary. You are now Steward.”

“I know, Amma. I will obey him. And when I want an adventure, I will remember the badger and Ithilien, and I will put such thoughts aside.”

“You are so very brave and wise, melethron nîn. I must leave you now. Targon is above decks. Shall I send him down? I would have you stay in this cabin until the ship is long past the Harlond.”

“Please, Amma, send Targon.” The boy’s eyes lighted, “With cookies, if he brought some.”

She laughed. “With cookies.” She hugged him tightly, then turned and hugged Borondir. “I know you will care well for him,” she whispered. “Take care for yourself as well.”

The retired captain of Gondor held his Regent close. “I will not fail you again, my Lady. I promise on my blade.”

“I know.” She let go, threw a kiss to Faramir, and walked out the door, up the stairs, and towards the City.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List