Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Twenty-Eight – An Unwelcome Visitor

She tried to squelch the fear that rose in her throat at the sight of the wizard. Why was he here? Had not Théoden received her message? She watched as Faramir and Éomund held each other. She saw that the wizard looked on in what appeared consternation or anger or… A shiver ran down her spine. She would have to be very careful.

“Éomund,” she smiled at him as she walked forward to greet him. “It is very good to see you again. How came you here?”

“Indis!” The man stood and hugged her warmly. “It is good to see you, also. Too many months have passed.” He looked down with fondness at Faramir. “I missed my friends,” he ruffled the boy’s hair. “May we speak further once Faramir has bathed?”

“Do I stink?” Faramir asked in wonder. He tried to think; there was no memory of ever having smelled before, but he knew it had been a long time since his last bath. He giggled

Éomund laughed loudly. “You stink as a warrior should after a long campaign. Where have you been off to? You look as if you haven’t bathed for a week.”

Faramir giggled again. “I went fishing and fell in the Anduin and was rescued by -- ”

Indis quickly stood between Faramir and the wizard. “Borondir and his men just brought him back. He has been gone longer than expected.”

“I will not keep you from your bath then, my Lord Steward.” Éomund turned to Indis. “Might I see you this afternoon? And you too, Faramir?”

“I would most love that, Éomund. I have missed you, too. Is… is Théodred with you?” the boy looked up at him hopefully.

“Nay. I am sorry. I was stationed at the Mering and decided to join the wizard when his company passed by my éored. I could not go back to Meduseld to fetch him. Mayhap for Mettarë?”

“That would be wondrous.”

“Come, my Steward. Your bath awaits.” Indis turned to the wizard as Faramir put his hand in hers. “My Lord Curunír. Gondor is pleased that you have come to visit us. I will attend to your needs once I have my nephew cared for. You will stay in your usual accommodations. Your men will be garrisoned on the Fourth Circle.” She shivered as she spoke and berated herself roundly, but she had not expected the wizard to travel with Dunlendings!

The wizard, to his credit she thought, merely bowed and stepped aside. She walked more quickly than was her wont into the Hall and to the Tower stairs. She had seen the look he had given Faramir when the boy almost let spill the fact that he had been lost. She herself did not know the full story of his rescue, but she was bound and determined not to let the wizard know who might have saved Faramir.

“Faramir, I will join you for nuncheon, once you have bathed. Please send a servant for me?”

“Of course.” The boy stopped short of his chamber’s door. He hugged her tightly. “I am so glad to be home. It was a good adventure, but I missed you terribly, Amma.” Tears fell.

She squeezed him tightly. “I missed you too, my sweet Faramir. I missed you terribly. I do not think I will ever let you go again.”

The boy pulled away from her. “Ever is a long time, Amma. Might I go from you for awhile…?” The boy pulled on his lip, “Is Ethuil too soon?”

“What ever do you mean, too soon?”

“Nothing. I am sorry. I will ask you when we eat.”

“I will wait then.” She found it extremely difficult to let him go. “Húrin waits for me. I must leave. I will return, melethron nîn.”

Faramir nodded and walked through the door. The guard closed it behind him.

~*~

“What on earth can Faramir be talking about now?” Indis wondered aloud. “I do not understand.”

“Wait until he tells you at nuncheon. There is no use worrying about it now.” Listöwel sipped her tea. "I miss Morwen Steelsheen”

“Why do you think of her at this moment?”

“I am not sure. Perhaps because Éomund is here, or I suppose it is because I so valued her wisdom, as a shieldmaiden. Indis,” she smiled fondly at her friend, “the people think highly of you. You should hear the whispers in the circles. It would seem rescuing Faramir was a greater feat than Thorongil's defeat of the Corsairs!”

Indis blushed. “Thankfully, you are considered part of the rescue. I think, though it is a horrid way to have it happen, I think your place in our knights’ eyes has raised some. Which is just what we needed.”

A knock interrupted them. Indis stood in delight as Éomund was granted entry by the servant. “You are a sight for sore eyes, dear Marshal!” Indis hugged him fiercely.

Returning the embrace with warmth, he whispered, “If I were not already taken, I might think upon a further bond between Gondor and the Mark.”

She laughed lightly. “And I would think of entertaining such a thought.” She kissed him. “I do love you, Éomund.”

He stepped back, “As I love you, Indis.”

“Your quarters are satisfactory?”

“”They are. I accompanied the wizard to his. He seemed satisfied. He did not stay there though; he went to the Great Library.”

Listöwel stood and received a warm hug from their friend. “As my Regent said, you are a sight for sore eyes. But tell me, friend, why do you come? And – dragging a wizard behind you?”

Éomund’s face immediately grew grave. “As I said, he passed our garrison at the Mering with a troupe of Dunlendings. It unsettled me and I decided it was in the best interest of both Gondor and the Mark to accompany him.” He sat at Indis’ motion and gratefully received the glass of brandy that Listöwel offered. “I do not hold the wizard in the same regard as does my king. We spoke hardly a word on the journey. Théoden, he says, asked him to come.”

“This troubles me greatly. Théoden sent a missive suggesting I visit Isengard and meet with -- ”

She was interrupted by Húrin and Ciramir’s entrance. She smiled and motioned for them both to sit. Her servant reentered, poured brandy and offered it to the men, then slipped from the room. “It is well you have come. Éomund brings news and a wizard.”

Ciramir, who had just seated himself, stood up with speed. “The rumors stated such. Why is he here?” The anger in his voice was unmistakable.

“Sit and calm yourself, my friend,”

Éomund noted the esteem granted Ciramir and listened attentively.

“Captain Ciramir is not enamored of the wizard.” She smiled and gently placed her hand on the captain’s shoulder. “For your peace of mind, I think you should know Éomund of the Riddermark is of like mind.”

Ciramir looked upon the Rohir with growing regard. “I had heard of Rohan… I am sorry, I had heard all the men of the Mark were under the wizard’s spell.”

“It is strange you should use that word,” Éomund said, “for the wizard believes he can help. He did tell Théoden he thinks there may be some spell set upon Faramir.” He turned towards Indis. “If there is a spell, when it could have been laid upon the boy, I do not know. He was never left alone, once Boromir was murdered.”

Indis tensed at the mention of her nephew, but kept her peace.

“Théoden puts great store in the wizard, almost exclusively listening to him. If any…” he shrugged.

“We have all recognized the weakness that assails Faramir. It had eased somewhat when we returned from the North. However, Gondor needs protection from spells, if spells or conjuring they be. I will speak with him.”

A/N - Melethron nîn – my love





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List