Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 4 - Allies

They were all there, almost in the exact locations they had been that horrid day when her world had fallen apart. She swallowed hard. Théoden strode forward and hugged her. “You were magnanimous in the Hall, my Lord.”

“Deep respect for thee, my Lady,” Théoden King whispered in her ear. “Besides, I had to show the louts of Gondor what it is like to show honor to a true Lady.” To those about him, “Deferential courtesy for the Regent of Gondor.” He smiled broadly and stepped aside as Ragnhild moved forward.

“Nay, my Lord, do not move for my sake.”

“Your sake is worth the world to me, leech,” he laughed. “Time over time you have saved one or the other of those I love. I would move Halifirien itself if it came between you and one you love.”

She blushed, then knelt to Indis. “My Lady. I am still your sworn servant, with the approval of my king.”

Théoden nodded. “It is only right. I believe her heart has been stolen from the Mark. There is a certain captain,” he motioned and Borondir stepped forward. “I give my blessing. What say you, Indis?”

Indis helped Ragnhild stand then hugged her tightly. “Yes, gladly, with my whole heart.” She motioned and Borondir stepped to her side. “You wish to pledge yourself to my councilor?”

“I do, my Regent.”

“Then you have my approval. When we are done here, this unfinished business, come to my study and we will talk.” She gave Ragnhild’s hand to Borondir. They stepped back.

“Imrahil!” The prince hugged her. She turned to those assembled and tears filled her eyes. “The last time we stood in this room, Boromir was alive and our only battle was against a usurper. My heart would wish we could go back to that moment.” Her eyes settled on the men before her, looking deeply into each one of their eyes. “Gondor would have fallen that day, if not for you, all of you. And yet, the day did not end as we had hoped.” She swallowed and blinked three or four times. “Thank you for that day, for all you tried to do. And thank you for coming today. For Faramir’s sake. You are all precious to him. I bid you here today to ask you for your support. He and I,” she smiled nervously, “have not prepared ourselves for this day as well as we might have. There is still an enemy in the east that would tear us down. Mayhap he had a hand in the treachery that has visited us.”

“Siriondil,” Théoden turned towards Gondor’s Master Healer. “Did you ever discover what illness befell Faramir?”

“Many things. First and foremost, the grief. Secondly, the violent way Boromir died as Faramir watched. Fatigue from the tortures he endured.” The healer’s breath caught. He stilled himself for a moment. It still burnt his heart to think what that fiend had done to the little boy. “Lastly, I believe there was some spell or drug used against him. How and when it happened, I do not know. The traitor had a healer from Roh… the Mark with him. I am not as familiar with the Eorlingas’ spells and chants.”

Ragnhild responded, “I am. But none have I ever seen that would cause what we saw in Faramir. There was treachery here from outside the Mark and outside Gondor. I wonder about the wizard?”

“Saruman? He is friend. He has pledged his help to the Eorlingas. He would have helped us if I had even thought to ask,” Théoden stated flatly.

“Then,” Indis lowered her head. “I believe it was the One we do not name. His hand has grown long indeed to reach into the very Houses of Healing.” All remained silent. After a moment, “We need, Faramir and I, we need your support and your help. I have many areas of concern. Denethor ruled well, but now we must prepare for a different sort of battle. I need to know how to protect my people and my Steward from another such occurrence. Does anyone have a thought?”

Siriondil stood up straighter. “The wizard, Mithrandir, has always been of good heart towards Gondor. Mayhap we can find him and ask for a spell to protect us?”

Ragnhild nodded her head in approval. “I have heard of his power.”

Théoden stirred uncomfortably. “He is a harbinger of bad news.”

“Bad news or no, he has done Gondor no harm.”

“Has he done good?”

“Ecthelion thought him a help.”

Théoden furrowed his brow. “He was a wise Steward. If the consensus is to ask for help from the Grey Wanderer, then so be it.”

Indis smiled to herself. “My captains, what think you ?”

Ciramir looked towards Amlach. “I agree. But I think this should not be our only option. Spells and incantations. We do not have weapons to fight those. Only another wizard would. So I agree with Siriondil. Bring in the wizard. As for the rest, I believe we should continue with Denethor’s plans of refortifying the Rammas Echor. More men are needed for the defenses of our northern border. Sorties are sent against us daily. The attacks become stronger. As for our allies from the Mark, horses are desperately needed.” He turned his attention to Théoden. “I understand your herds have been under attack. Would a contingent of warriors, placed under your Marshal, Éomund, be acceptable? With my Regent's approval, of course.”

“Are the rumors true, Théoden? Are the horses of the Mark being stolen?”

“The blacks, yes. But we have ordered the herds to be drawn closer to the inhabited areas of our land. I do not think we need stretch your resources further by having your men join us. At least at this time.”

“Good.” Indis nodded her head. “Ciramir. I would place you as liaison with Prince Imrahil. You will captain Pelargir. Now,” she took a deep breath and beckoned another forward. “I have asked Listöwel to accept a position under me. I have spoken with Faramir and he agrees.” Again, she stopped and took another breath. “I name Listöwel as my Captain-General.” She looked into their faces; her breath held.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List