Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 3 - Just In Case

After leaving the festivities in Merethrond, Indis and Faramir walked slowly towards the Tower.

“Faramir! Lord Faramir!”

The young Steward turned and smiled. “Théodred! Finally. I wanted so badly to see you. Are you well? How is your Ada?”

Théodred smiled and hugged Faramir warmly. “All of us are well. Éomund sends his love. He wishes he could be here with you, today of all days.”

“Will I get to see your Ada sometime before you leave?”

“Of course, I think there is a meal planned for tomorrow.” Théodred smiled kindly. “He would not leave without a personal audience.”

Faramir giggled. “Amma, do I give audiences?”

Indis put her hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. “You can give anything you please, especially this day.”

The little one stared at her. “May I truly?”

“Yes,” she looked at him quizzically. “Is there something special you want to give away?”

His chin trembled and she squeezed his shoulder tighter for support. “Boromir loved Théodred. Might I give him something of Boromir’s?”

“Of course, child. Let us go to his rooms. Or do you have anything specific in mind?”

“There is something in his wardrobe.” He pursed his lips. “Théodred, would you come with us?”

“For something from Boromir? Of course!”

“Amma, would you come too. I would not…”

“I will come. Now?”

“Before something else happens.”

Indis laughed gently. “I doubt if aught will happen here in the…” She bit her lip. ‘Here in the Citadel is where Boromir died. I can promise Faramir no protection.’

“Come on, Théodred,” Faramir ran forward and Théodred followed. They reached Boromir’s rooms within moments. Faramir held back until Indis could reach them.

She smiled down at her nephew and opened the door. Faramir gasped. The room was exactly the same as the last time he had been in it. Somehow, he had thought it would be cold and dark. He could ‘feel’ Boromir, smell him, and tears fell. Purposefully, he walked away from Indis and sat on the sill that overlooked the Pelennor.

“Théodred,” Indis said quietly, “This is a special place for us all, especially now. The servants have made sure nothing is moved and the room is kept cleaned.”

“Just in case,” Faramir whispered.

“What, dear heart?”

“Nothing.”

“What do you mean, Faramir, ‘just in case,’” Théodred walked to his friend’s side.

“I have heard stories of Elves. Sometimes they come back.” He wiped his sleeve across his eyes. “Mightn’t Boromir return?”

“Oh, Faramir. I have not heard of a man returning. Have you Indis?” the Prince of Rohan turned in confusion.

Indis knelt in front of Faramir. “I do not think he would want to return.” Quickly continuing at the look of pain in Faramir’s eyes, “He would want to return to you, but it is wondrous there, where he is. He is with your Ada and Nana. There is no pain. Would you want him to come back from such a place?”

“Yes,” the little one whispered, heartbroken. “But not really. I miss him. I wish I had not come here.”

“Find Théodred’s gift and we will leave.”

Faramir walked to the cupboard and opened a drawer at the bottom. He rummaged through the contents until he found what he wanted. He closed the door, a small item clutched to his chest. “Here, Théodred. I know Boromir would be happy if you had this.”

Théodred gasped. “It is beautiful. Just beautiful. I have never seen anything like this. Are you sure, Faramir? I think you should keep it.”

“It was a gift from Uncle Imrahil. It is not for me.”

Indis held out her hand. “Might I see it, Théodred? I remember no such gift.”

“It was for Mettarë, last year. It was a special gift between Uncle and Boromir.”

The little marble horse was beautifully carved. Indis turned it around and around, admiring the handiwork. “This was made by a mighty craftsman. I have not seen the like of it.”

“Look at the mane. It flows. And the tail. I love how it stands up as if the horse is trotting.”

“Indeed. It is beautiful. A great gift for a horse-lord.” She returned it to the prince.

Faramir beamed. “Do you like it, Théodred.” Théodred’s back was to him. He walked closer.

“Oh!” He stopped in surprise as he watched Théodred’s tears fall.

Théodred turned and hugged him tightly. He could not speak, neither could Faramir. At last, he let the Steward go. “I will treasure it always. I will device a chain or something for it and keep it attached to the pommel of my saddle. It is beautiful, Faramir. I cannot thank you enough.”

“I think it would be gracious if you told your uncle what you have done with his gift. I think it will please him.”

“Oh, I never thought of that. Mayhap Uncle would want it back?”

“He will not. It is where it belongs, with Théodred.”

They walked slowly down the stairs. “I want to see Théoden today if I might. He has been here two days, I think, and I still have not thanked him.”

“I think we can arrange that, Faramir. Come, let us go back to your rooms. A light snack is in order. Would you join us, Théodred.”

“Yes, please.”

They crossed the corridor. Indis whispered to the guard, who saluted and left them. Faramir opened his door. “You have not seen my rooms before. They are nice, not as comfy as yours in Edoras, but nice.”

“Hot chocolate?”

Théodred nodded and smiled. “Cakes?”

Faramir’s manservant entered at Faramir’s call and listened attentively as Faramir ordered their snack. He smiled, nodded and left.

Théodred moved about the antechamber, fingering little mementoes, rocks, wooden toys and all sorts of stuff that lay about the room.

“I will be leaving you for a time, Faramir. Will be you be all right?”

He looked up at Indis, a frown on his face. “Of course. Théodred is with me.”

“Of course,” she apologized and smiled at Théodred, who beamed.

She had missed the prince. Her heart ached as she walked slowly down the stairs. ‘If only he could stay here. But I am being selfish. He has his own duties.’ Her throat constricted as she stayed her tears. Purposefully, she walked quicker as she entered the foyer of the Great Hall. She went in the direction the guard pointed, then hesitated at the door. She knew this room; it was burnt into her heart and her mind. Steeling herself, she opened it. Before her stood the company as if naught had happened in between.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List