Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Frogdom  by Neilia

Frogdom

by Neilia

What if Pippin couldn’t keep his mouth wisely shut? This Bunny has been hopping around my desk trying to get my attention for some time now...and when it hopped onto my keyboard and would not budge .....I had to write it. Definitely AU, and I lay no claim to any of the characters. Story referenced with author's generous permission. Beta read by a most-generous-with-her-time, Budgielover.....thank you! Rating: G.  

FROGDOM

Sam stuck his head around the doorjamb with a caution born of previous experience. Though his master was unlikely to bite his head off, Sam had learned long ago to move quietly when Frodo wasn’t feeling well in the mornings. And Sam was sure that Frodo was ill after imbibing so many of his cousins’ alcohol-spiked toffees, because his own head was pounding with a vengence.

Sam put a kettle on for tea, hoping he would remember not to let it whistle. Then he carefully poured a cup of cool water, walked over to the side of the bed and asked, "Mr. Frodo, are you comfortable, sir?"

Frodo dragged himself upright and drank a little of the water but he definitely did not feel well. His head was pounding and he had a foul taste in his mouth. "No, Sam, please help me untwist these blankets. I would like to try and get some more rest..."

That desire was rudely denied him as the door to his chambers was flung open so violently it rebounded against the wall with a loud crash.

Pippin and Merry burst into his room, flew onto their older cousin's bed and began to shriek, "Frodo, save us!" Pippin squeezed under the pillows behind Frodo's back while Merry clung to Frodo's knees and buried his face between them.

"Wha-?" was all Frodo could manage before another person, in the tall form of a very irate wizard, rushed into the room, followed closely by a harried-looking Lord Elrond.

Merry shook with terror while Pippin yelped and scooted under the bed as fast as he could.

"Peregrin Took! Come out from under that bed now and prepare to experience Frogdom!" Gandalf roared.

"No!" Pippin squealed. There was a short pause; the only sound was of heavy breathing. Feeling safe under Frodo’s bed, Pippin’s bright green eyes narrowed, "Besides, I've never seen you turn anyone into a frog. I don't believe you would do it. In fact, I don‘t believe you could do it."

With that, a staff pointed, an incantation yelled, a bolt of lightning flashed and a horrified Frodo shot straight up in bed, "Gandalf, you couldn't... you wouldn't… you didn't!"

Lord Elrond bent over the side of the bed, reached under it and scooped up a small frog with very large bright-green eyes. He carried the little creature over to the window and there the Elf-lord and Pippin-frog stared at each other. It was the Elf-lord who blinked first.

Frodo groaned and buried his face in his hands.

Merry was livid, but silent, not wanting to be subjected to the same fate. He stayed very still, curling up as small as he could, twitching the end of Frodo’s blanket over himself.

Sam, who had retreated into the corner at the head of Frodo's bed, straightened up, stepped quietly over to Lord Elrond, and whispered, "May I take him, sir?"

Lord Elrond entrusted the little creature into Sam’s safe keeping.

Sam tiptoed quickly to the far side of the room near the fireplace, not wanting to be in the line of fire and hoping his part in 'spiking innocent sweets' would not be mentioned.

The gardener examined the little creature and noticed that the pattern on top of its head looked like wayward curls. He murmured soft nonsense words to try and calm the shaking Pippin-frog, "Poor lad, poor little lad. Just you stay quiet, now. Mr. Frodo’ll sort out that wizard."

Sam then reached over with his other hand and swung a stridently whistling teapot away from the flames. He turned and watched the occupants at the other side of the room...

Gandalf began to regret his hasty action as he surveyed the horrified and angry looks on everyone’s faces. Frodo, especially, caught his attention with his large blue eyes glaring at him in extreme agitation.

Seeing the wizard’s gaze upon him, Frodo sat up straighter and folded his arms, "Gandalf, in all the years we have known each other, and the many times you have visited Bag End..."

Gandalf interrupted Frodo, "Now, Frodo, it will only be for a day. He will return to hobbit form by tomorrow at this very same hour." Frodo looked slightly mollified and became thoughtful.

Lord Elrond was prepared to ask Gandalf to restore order to his house and return Pippin to his rightful form, when Frodo startled everyone:

"Wait now, perhaps it won’t be so bad. Pippin was being very disrespectful. He should learn to curb his cheeky mouth, especially if he is going to be a part of this Quest."

"Frodo," came a muffled cry from beneath the covers, and as Merry stuck his head out, "you don’t mean it!"

"Yes I do. You can keep him in your jacket pocket safely enough. Just make sure he gets something to eat and drink and keep him warm, cool, wet – whatever frogs like." At that, feeling rather weary, Frodo lay back on his pillows, turned over onto his side and ignored any more protests from Merry.

Merry sighed, scooted off Frodo's bed and trudged over to Sam. "Give me the little sod, then. I will take care of him."

He emptied his left jacket pocket turning out various items, such as wrappers from the offending toffees (which he swiftly threw into the fire), a couple of skipping stones, a peach pit and a great deal of lint, crumbs and fuzz. He took a clean handkerchief, folded it and tucked it into the pocket. He gently cupped the trembling Pippin-frog in his hand and eased him carefully into his temporary home. Merry held open the pocket to make sure Pippin-frog was tucked in safely. The little creature peeked forlornly up at Merry and tried to speak, but it came out as "Eeeeeb, eeeehhhmm, reeeb, ribbbit!" 

Merry whispered back, "Now you've done it, Pip! I daresay you won't be talking back to any more wizards in your lifetime!" Merry picked up his skipping stones and put them into his other pocket. He had not wanted to leave them behind, nor had he wanted to put them in the same pocket as his cousin. He sighed unhappily.

Troubled, Sam said "Beggin' your pardon sir, but you won't forget Mr. Pippin's in there, will you, sir?"

Frodo raised up and turned towards Merry and added his concern, "Please Merry, don't make matters worse by doing that."

Merry peeked at Pippin-frog, "No, I won’t forget."

Reassured, the older hobbits exchanged a worried glance. Then Frodo sagged back against his pillows.

The Lord of Imladris spoke, "If the Ring-Bearer is of such a mind, so be it. After all," looking squarely at Gandalf he continued, "if it is only for one day?"

"Oh, yes, most assuredly, only one day."

Lord Elrond nodded and drifted gracefully over to Frodo's side, "Do you have a headache, Frodo? It seems that half of Imladris is under the weather this morning."

Frodo looked at Lord Elrond, decided not to be brave and whispered, "Yes, my head is throbbing and my mouth tastes foul."

Lord Elrond nodded and stepped over to the table where he had set up various medicines and herbs for the recovering hobbit. He began to gather herbs to seep in Frodo's cup. "Master Samwise, this could do with some honey."

Sam retrieved the kettle of hot water and set it on the table. "Yes sir," he said respectfully, "I'll get it straight away." He left the room and once outside the door, broke into a run toward the kitchens.

Meanwhile, Merry quietly tiptoed out of Frodo's chambers. In the hallway he could be heard mumbling, "A day, a whole day."

Out in the hallway, Pippin-frog protested from Merry’s pocket and Merry hissed ... "Be quiet, Pip, you caused enough trouble. After all, this toffee business was your idea!"

"Ribbit!" Pippin-frog sounded so unhappy that Merry felt remorseful about talking to him so harshly, "Sorry, Pip." He reached his hand into his pocket to gently pat the little creature and felt a tiny but very sharp set of froggy gums clamp down on his finger for his trouble. "Ow! Pippin! You little beast!"

The End





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List