Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Agape's Attempts  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 74 - FRIENDSHIP (four drabbles)

Gentle Persuasion

“I had not thought… Nay, it was more that I refused to think Faramir might become a soldier.” Boromir’s brow furrowed; he twirled his knife in his hand. “He is of a more… gentle persuasion.” He looked at his friend, eyes lit with joy, smile wide and gracious. “Have you ever listened to his music? He has written quite a number of lays and chants, a few songs and even a lament. One even makes me weep.”

Théodred leaned closer, brushing aside a tendril of hair that moved whenever Boromir blinked. “He will be fine. You have taught him well.”

Wielding Words

“I sometimes think I should never have allowed him a sword.” Boromir chuckled. “He wields it like your cousin.”

“Like a woman? I think Éowyn would take umbrage at your less than flattering remark.”

“They both would. It occurs to me, if I had not taught him, mayhap Father would have left him to his studies. But I worried for him, Théodred. In this age, none can live without learning to wield a sword.”

“Rumor says he is deadly with a bow.”

“He is.” Once again Boromir’s great smile filled their tent. “Beleg would be sore pressed to defeat him.”

Restless Sleep

Théodred watched as Boromir twisted and turned in his bed. Finally, he could stand it no longer. He reached over and woke the Heir of Gondor.

Boromir gasped, drew his dirk, and rolled to his knees.

Théodred laughed. “It never ceases to amaze me.”

“What?” Boromir asked testily. “I see there is no danger.”

“Nay. Only for your poor bedclothes. Glad am I that we do not share a bedroll. I would be dead now.”

“Why did you wake me then?”

“You were calling Faramir’s name in dread.”

Boromir sat for a moment, then wept. Théodred knelt by his side.

Portents or Dreams

“I saw him in flame and fire.”

“Did you recognize the place?”

“Nay. He lay as if in a dream. I think… ” Boromir’s shoulders shook. “I think he was dead.”

“Not Faramir. He is safe in the Esquires.”

“He was older.”

Théodred sat on his heels and took Boromir into his arms. “If I recall rightly, dear friend, Faramir is the one with foresight. You had a bad dream because he is now an esquire and wields a sword. Let it be. We will both be dead before he e’er comes near danger.”

Boromir laughed. "Thank you - I think!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List