Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Agape's Attempts  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 53 - Dragonflies – A Tribble

The river rode high this day. High and wild as the sea by Dol Amroth. ‘No fishing this day,’ Boromir thought ruefully.

“Mayhap we can find some hidden pools and catch frogs?” Faramir asked.

Boromir’s eyes danced. “Nothing stays you from joy, does it, little brother?”

“I have you by my side. What could be better? I do not care if the river floods, as long as you and I can play.”

“We cannot play in the river, I am afraid. There will be no hidden pools. It is too high.”

“But there are dragonflies. Lots of them. Over there! That means hidden pools, does it not, Boromir? Dragonflies like still water. They would be there.”

Boromir looked to where Faramir pointed. The Harlond’s quays slowed the river on the west side; Boromir could imagine that there might be hidden places that would draw dragonflies. “Yes. Let us look.”

And there they were, close to three dozen of the long-winged insects. They flew about as if cavorting and Faramir, dearest Faramir, shrieked in delight. The lad chased them up and down the river, running here and there; Boromir had all he could do to keep his little brother from falling in. But was that not what big brothers were for?

He grinned as Faramir took another leap. The delightful creatures seemed to be having as much fun as his brother. He looked up and saw Denethor leaving the harbormaster’s office. His grin turned to a frown. Their playtime was over. It was time to leave. He turned to call to Faramir when a hand touched his shoulder.

“I think I see a frog,” Denethor pointed. “I think we should try to catch it. What think you, my son?”

Boromir smiled. Playtime was not over. It was just joined by another.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List