Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Agape's Attempts  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 35 - Tharbad – A Quadrabble


“And that is why Hobbits are so fond of mushrooms!”

Boromir sat with his mouth open. “Never have I heard such a pack of lies. Oliphants do not like mushrooms!”

“How do you know?” Merry retorted.

“Now, now,” Aragorn said, raising his hand to still the approaching argument. “It is my turn to tell a tale.”

Pip sat forward, all ears.

“‘Twas quite some time ago – I was on patrol on the outskirts of the southern Shire. There were reports of Dunlending activity. A small group of Rangers descended upon the area. I happened to get separated from my men.” Aragorn ignored Boromir’s snort. “I was following the river trying to find my way back, near the fords at Tharbad. The river becomes quite treacherous there.”

“Is this a real story?” Merry asked testily.

“Come on, Merry,” Pip interjected, “We didn’t make any rules for this. He can tell a real story if he wants to.”

Boromir interjected. “Does that you mean your Oliphant and mushroom story is made up?”

Aragorn harrumphed. “As I was saying, the river can be treacherous. As I went to cross, the current took my horse’s legs out from under her and I went crashing down. I have never been so wet nor cold in my life!”

Pip whispered loudly, “He doesn’t know how to tell a good story.”

Sam nodded in agreement.

“Only a fool tries to cross that river. I have been near Tharbad. I myself crossed the river there on foot, leading my horse after me. She bolted when…”

“Go on, Boromir.” Pip exclaimed.

“I think I have had enough of the telling of this tale.” Boromir shifted uncomfortably.

“What happened there, Boromir?” Aragorn asked quietly.

“I would not speak words of what I saw there, not in this place of peace.”

Galadriel stepped forward. “I have heard of your adventure at Tharbad, man of Gondor. The tale was written by one of our scribes. You had reported to Lord Elrond, when you arrived in Imladris and the tale was brought here. You are wise to speak no further of it."

The Hobbits were disappointed.

“If you would read of it, you may go to the library. My Elves will show you were it has been kept. Linaewen was the author, if I remember correctly. It is time now for rest.”

Pip shrugged. “No one knows how to tell a good story!”

~*~

A/N - http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/stories/serial/110/index.html (chapters 9 & 10 tell of Boromir’s adventure by the Tharbad and the unexpected meeting of nine – 110 Days by Linaewen)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List