Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet for Middle-earth  by Dreamflower

 Rating: G
Summary: A wedding in Buckland...but not perhaps what you expect...

M: LIKE MARRYING MERRY

“My stars, Merry!” said Pippin, as he straightened his cousin’s jacket, and brushed imaginary fluff from the back. “It’s not as if you haven’t done this before.”

“I *haven’t*, Pip!” was the cross response.

“Of course you have! You are the Master of Buckland, after all! You’ve officiated at dozens of weddings!”

“But *not* for one of my own children, Pippin! Think about it! *You* officiated at Perry’s marriage.”

“Well,” said the Thain, “Primrose is my daughter.”

“But *Sam* got to officiate at Wyn’s wedding!”

“Because she and Rose-lass had a double wedding!”

Just then there was a tap on the door, and Sam himself entered, along with Freddy Bolger. “Are you ready, Merry? Everything is in place.”

Merry felt a sudden and unaccountable reluctance. His baby. Never mind that she was of age--she *was* his baby. Pippin gave him a quick hug, and a shove towards the door, and taking a deep breath, out he went.

Followed by Pippin, Sam and Freddy, he made his way to the front garden of Brandy Hall, where the crowd of guests parted to make way for the Master. There was the great white pavilion, wreathed in flowers, next to the large and imposing oak tree. Generations of Brandybucks had wed beneath that pavilion. There was the table, with its white cloth, and the bottle of red ink, and the large and beautifully illuminated marriage document. All of it was familiar to his eyes, and yet today looked strangely alien. Frodo Gardner and Merry Gamgee stood next to the table waiting for him. He took his place, and then looked back over the crowd.

Here she came. Tears sprang to his eyes, and he blinked them away. Her mother and sister were behind her, but Estella stepped away, and, accompanied only by her sister, and looking just a bit frightened, she came forward.

At a nudge from his brother, Merry-lad moved to stand next to her, and they looked into one another’s eyes. Merry could not help but be moved to amused fondness at the way all of his daughter’s nervousness seemed to transfer itself to her betrothed. Merry-lad gave an audible gulp.

Niphredil was beautiful, thought Merry. She took after her mother so much, with her dark hair and delicate face. His youngest had always been on the shy side, and he had been quite surprised to realize that she had attracted the regard of Sam’s exuberant son, his own namesake--and even more surprised to realize that she returned the affection.

He took a deep breath, and began the age-old ritual.

“I have before me two hobbits who have come with a petition of marriage. Who will vouch for them?”

Frodo, who was standing witness for his younger brother, stepped forward with the response. "I am Frodo Gardner a hobbit of Hobbiton. I present Merry Gamgee, a hobbit of Hobbiton, known to me as a hobbit of good character, who is of age, with no reasons why he should not be wed.” He turned and favored his brother with a proud smile, and then stepped back again.

And now it was Wyn‘s turn. “I am Simbelmynë Greenhill, a hobbitess of Greenholm. I present Niphredil Brandybuck, a hobbitess of Buckland, known to me as a hobbitess of good character, who is of age, with no reasons why she should not be wed.” She smiled at her little sister, and giving her a kiss on the cheek, stepped back.

“Merry Gamgee, is it your intent to wed Niphredil Brandybuck, of your own free will?”

Merry-lad looked his namefather in the eye, and said firmly, “Yes, sir.”

Merry looked right back, and arched an eyebrow at him, before turning to his daughter. His expression softened, and he had to stop and swallow a lump in his throat, before he continued.

“Niphredil Brandybuck, is it your intent to wed Merry Gamgee, of your own free will?”

She turned to her bridegroom, and, her heart in her eyes, said, “Yes, I do.”

“Merry Gamgee and Niphredil Brandybuck, you have declared before witnesses your intent to wed. The duties of marriage are to honor and support one another; the blessings of marriage are to love and respect one another. These duties and these blessings are meant to last for a lifetime. Are you prepared to take on these tasks, through such joys and sorrows as may in time come to you?”

“Yes, we are!” they said together.

Merry turned to the assembled guests.

“As the Master of Buckland, it has been my privilege to preside over many weddings. But this wedding is very special, for I find myself joining the hand of my youngest child to the hand of the beloved son of one of my dearest friends. Niphredil and Merry, I know you both well; I know that you will honor and cherish one another, that your new home will be filled with love and laughter. I know that you both have the courage to stick with one another when hard times shall come, as they always do. But though you will have one another, do not forget that you have the rest of your family as well, and do not hesitate to ask for help when you need it. I know that you will make all of us proud. And Merry Gamgee, I welcome you to my family as my new son. Niphredil and Merry, may your joys be many, may your sorrows be few.”

“And now, if the designated witnesses will come forward: Peregrin Took, Samwise Gamgee, Frodo Gardner, Peridoc Brandybuck, Faramir Took, Pippin Gamgee and Hending Greenhill.”

Pippin and Sam signed first, the Thain handing the quill to the Mayor with a grin and a flourish, then Frodo-lad, Perry, Fam and Pippin-lad, and finally, Wyn’s husband Hending. Hending handed the quill to Merry-lad, who wrote his own name, his hand trembling just a little. Merry noticed unshed tears of joy in his daughter’s eyes as she added her own.

Finally, Merry added his own name, and then taking off his ring, affixed the seal of the Brandybucks. He stepped back, putting an arm around them both, and looking out at the guests, pronounced, “I am honored to present Mr. and Mrs. Merry Gamgee.”

He stood back, and then whispered to Merry-lad. “You can kiss her now, you know.”

But Merry did not watch his daughter and his new son-in-law exchange their conjugal kiss. Instead, his eyes sought for Estella’s. He hoped that Dilly and Merry-lad would be as happy in their marriage as he had always been in his.

Pippin and Sam came to stand by him, as the young couple was led away by Wyn and Frodo-lad. Sam sniffed, and blew his nose. “Mr. Frodo would have been right proud today,” he said.

“That he would,” said Merry, “that he would.”

Pippin chuckled. “Two Merrys in the family now. Well, Estella will only have to call once at supper-time!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List