Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet for Middle-earth  by Dreamflower

 F: LIKE A FEARFUL FARAMIR

Faramir took a deep breath and swallowed. “Are you sure, Pippin?” he asked his small friend, who was tugging at the back of his tunic.

Pippin chuckled. “Yes, Faramir, I am quite sure that this will do perfectly. Éowyn’s aunt sent word that her gown tonight will be of pale blue. I think that *she* will think you look splendid in this dark blue velvet. Trust me, I have three sisters, I know these things.”

Across the room, sitting in the windowsill and watching in amusement, Frodo, Sam and Merry chuckled.

“Pippin’s quite an expert on what the lasses will like,” said Merry.

“D’you remember, Mr. Frodo, your forty-fifth birthday, when word got out that the dresses Miss Pervinca and Miss Estella was wearing was the same color, and everyone thought there’d be a scene?”

Frodo grinned. “I do believe that several people learned the folly of wagering that night!”

Merry rolled his eyes. “Well, certainly not Pippin! They did exactly what he said they would--embraced and laughed about it.” He scowled briefly. “I lost ten coppers.”

“I lost two,” muttered Sam under his breath. Frodo looked at Sam in surprise.

“I know my sister,” said Pippin. “It was Estella, who’s a good friend. Now, on the other hand, if it had been Cousin Amethyst, we might have seen a bit of hair-pulling!” As he spoke, he stood up on a chair, and began to straighten Faramir’s collar. He gave a brief brush to the shoulders of the tunic. “There!” he said in a satisfied tone, hopping off the chair. “I think that you are quite presentable!”

“What if Éomer changes his mind? After all…”

“Faramir!” Pippin exclaimed, “Éowyn loves you and wants to marry you! Do you think her brother is going to deny her anything?”

“Not if he values his hide,” said Merry cheerfully. “My sword-sister has a way of getting what she wants.” He slid down from the window, and went to Faramir’s other side. “Now, I do think there is a feast ahead of us, and a betrothal to be announced.”

His fears allayed, and surrounded by hobbits, Faramir allowed himself to be herded from the room.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List