Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Alphabet for Middle-earth  by Dreamflower

Rated: G
Summary: In which Arwen has reason to reprimand one of her ladies-in-waiting...

A: LIKE AN ANTAGONISTIC ARWEN

“Lady Haleth, I have the highest respect for your mother. She was one of my maids of honour for several years, and I account her a dear friend. It was only for that reason I accepted you in such a capacity.”

Haleth dared to raise her eyes from her toes, and meet the Queen’s gaze briefly. Her heart sank, and she dropped her gaze once more. Such cold contempt there was, and what was worse, sorrow and pity.

“At this point, my inclination is to dismiss you from this Court at once, and send you home to your mother in Lossarnach with a detailed account of exactly *why* you are in disgrace.”

Haleth could feel the blood drain from her face. Her parents would never let her out in public again.

“There is only *one* reason I do not. Your victim has pled for you, and asked me to forgive you.”

Hope warred with confusion in Haleth’s breast. She dared to ask “What do you mean, my Queen?”

“I mean that even though you have cruelly taunted her, have used her spitefully, and made her the object of ridicule, she says that she has forgiven you and she wishes me to do the same. She says that since she will not be here much longer, she does not care to leave ill-will behind her, and that she thinks you may have learned your lesson.”

She gulped, and felt unaccountably small, and very, very young. “Why?” she whispered.

“Look at me.”

Raising her gaze to the Queen’s once more was perhaps the hardest thing Haleth had done in all her fifteen years. Queen Arwen was the most beautiful creature Haleth had ever seen, but her anger was dreadful.

“She said she wanted you to be forgiven because her parents would wish it, and most of all, she said, because her Uncle Frodo would have wished it.” Arwen’s eyes sparked briefly with tears, and then she blinked. “I told her that I would spare you on one condition: you must apologize. And, Lady Haleth, trust me that I will *know* if you do not mean it.”

Haleth burst into tears, but nodded. Arwen went to the door of her chamber, and opened it. “Lady Elanor, Lady Haleth has something she wishes to say.”

Haleth looked at the halfling maiden, as she came to stand before her. “I--I’m sorry…”

Elanor smiled at her, and opened her arms in comfort. “That’s all right. You won’t do it any more.”

Arwen watched as they embraced, the tiny hobbit lass patting the other girl comfortingly on the back. Haleth looked up once more, and was surprised to see a look of pride there now.






        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List