Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 40 - War

The morning broke colder than Ragnhild had wished. The winds blew down from the mountains; the snow-capped peaks shone in the bright sun. She pulled her blanket closer as she stepped from the bed. A light knock sounded. She looked towards the little alcove where Targon lay. The boy still slept. Quickly, she opened the door, hoping to give the lad an extra hour's sleep. "Erendis," she whispered in greeting and stepped out into the hallway. She closed the door behind her.

"I wanted to ask what you and the boy would like for breakfast? He is better, isn't he?"

"He slept well. I woke him every few hours, to make sure the injury did not worsen. He is sleeping now. I will eat in the Common Room, if I might. The lad needs as much sleep as he can get to help him heal."

"Of course. Would you like one of my boys to sit watch while you eat?"

"Yes, oh yes! Thank you so much."

"Borondir is here. He usually eats with us. It's my biscuits, you know," and a faint blush reached the woman's cheeks. "Now, go ahead with you. I'll take care of Targon and your meal."

Ragnhild went back into the room, quickly dressed and ran down the corridor to the inn's common room. As she entered, she saw Borondir sitting at a corner table with Hador. She sat some ways away. She knew he had seen her, but decided it would be best if they were not seen together so soon after last night's long discussion. Some might wonder and question.

Borondir, it seemed had no such compunction. He stood and strode towards her table. "Ragnhild. It is good to see you again." He spoke loudly. "How is the boy?"

"He still sleeps. He had a quiet night. He should be up and about today. Ready to do his chores. Thank you for your concern."

"Did you hear that, Hador?" The man turned and bellowed to the corner table. "I told you she was a good healer." He turned to her again and chuckled quietly. "Best you close your mouth else the patrons will wonder."

She was immediately angry. The ease with which this man manipulated her infuriated her.

"Would you join us? Hador's wounds are old, but I thought you might be able to prescribe something to ease his pain."

She found herself staring again and forced herself to smile. He helped her up and she walked stiffly to their table.

"Hador, may I introduce Ragnhild, healer of Rohan." He held a chair out for her, one that would put her back to the rest of the room. "Ragnhild," he continued, "this is Hador, proud captain of Gondor, retired these past twelve years."

The soldier stood and bowed as she smiled and nodded; they both sat. Erendis rushed over, her hands and arms full of plates covered with meats and cheeses, potatoes and biscuits covered in gravy, with a huge pot of steaming hot tea. "You are in need of sustenance. I don't think you ate a thing last night," the woman clucked. "I'll not have tales leave these walls saying we starve our patrons."

Ragnhild laughed, gratitude spilling from her. "You are, and have been, too kind!"

She noted the men sat and waited for her to eat. Once she buttered the last biscuit left on her plate, Borondir spoke. "The innkeeper and his wife are with us. You may speak freely."

She looked about and discovered that the room had emptied. The last patron had left while she finished her meal. She turned to Hador instead of replying to Borondir. 'Let the proud captain sit and stew for a moment or two,' she thought wryly. "Are you in pain?"

"Aye," Hador said, "but it is not bad. It was said to allay any suspicions of our meeting."

"I realize that," she said testily, thoroughly disliking the condescending attitude of the two warriors. "But I am a healer and I do have something that might help."

"Forgive two stupid men, Ragnhild. We are used to battling this foe alone. Since the prince sent and trusts you, so do we. Tell us your plan." Borondir leaned forward.

She squirmed at the gentle rebuke. "Nay. It is I that should ask forgiveness. I barge in here expecting all to obey me. In truth, I have only a sketchy plan. I have planted a spy in Dagnir's household and plan to send Targon there today." She answered their unasked question, "As a cook. The boy is quite good. After that, I was just going to wait."

"I think the treason is not deep." Borondir's brow furrowed. "I still cannot believe what you told me last night. I have already appraised Hador of the happenings in Minas Tirith. It seems to me that Dagnir and his son and only a handful of men are traitors. We know their names."

"Why have you done nothing? Do you not have proof?"

"We do. They are proud and think they are above the laws of Gondor. They send missives to each other with impunity. We have intercepted some, made note of their contents, and passed them along to their confederates. They do not know they are under scrutiny. We also have spies in Dagnir's and Minastir's households. I hope ours do not harm yours!"

"So all we need do is arrest them?" she asked incredulously.

"Unfortunately, no. Dagnir controls the army. Without official backing, we would be arrested instead of them."

"I will send a missive to Prince Imrahil. He will send soldiers with orders to have them arrested." She sat back and sighed. "This is proving easier than I thought."

"You will have to wait, though. Lord Dagnir has been called to Minas Tirith for a special Council meeting. I am not sure when he will return."

A commotion in the street interrupted what Ragnhild was about to say. Shouts and wild screams rent the air. The inn emptied. A rider, horse lathered from a long and strenuous ride, jumped off his horse near to the town center after having almost run over half the population. "Where is Lord Minastir?" he cried aloud. A number of fingers pointed to Lord Dagnir's home. The rider threw the reins aside and ran to the house.

A crowd began to assemble in front of their lord's house, but no movement was seen. Ragnhild, Borondir and Hador stood at the back of the group, watching and waiting. At last, Ragnhild could stand it no longer. "Come, let us go to the back, to the servant's quarters. My spy will be able to tell us what has happened."

Borondir looked at her and Ragnhild saw the quirk of a smile on his face. 'All right,' she thought irritably. "Mayhap one of your spies can tell us."

He bowed and held his arm out. She led the way. As they neared the back, she heard loud sobs. She knocked quietly on the door. Forleaswyn answered, eyes red and swollen.

"Oh, Ragnhild. Terrible news from Minas Tirith. Lord Dagnir has been killed; they say he is a traitor. Soldiers are coming here to arrest his son. Lord Minastir is summoning his father's army. There will be war!"

"There will be no such thing, Forleaswyn. Pull yourself together. Where is your mother?"

"She is with the master's wife." The girl sobbed.

"Hush, all will be well. I want you and Aerin to come back with me to the inn. Go to your mother and quietly tell her. She must meet us there, if there is fighting." When the child left them, Ragnhild turned to Borondir and Hador. "We should return to the inn. Warn the warriors that Prince Imrahil sends. They cannot be caught in a trap."

As soon as the two children came out, Borondir took Ragnhild by the arm and gently led them all away. "We will return to the inn, Ragnhild. It is a good plan. Hador," the captain turned, "Call our men. Tell them to meet within the hour."

Hador saluted and left them. Ragnhild's mouth hung open.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List