Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 25 - Risks Taken

“Two horses are not enough. If we plan on riding to Mundburg, we cannot have two men astride a horse. The beasts will not last and I would rather die than harm one of our horses. Give me but a moment,” Erkenbrand begged. “I will return to the stables and saddle two more.”

“There is no time,” Elladan hissed. “The horses you brought have been standing there at least ten minutes. We will be discovered.”

“Then let me raise the alarm. I will say you have escaped and I will lead my men towards the west whilst you turn east. Give us but half an hour, then leave. Hide the horses in here. None will look, once I have called my men together. We will saddle and depart.”

Elrohir stepped forward. “Would you trust us in this manner?”

Erkenbrand bowed his head. “I would not. But now you must trust me. I see no other path for you. E’en though Théoden King loves Faramir, it does not negate our law. I help you and I will be punished. Sometimes, obedience to a King’s decree is o’erridden by the decree of the heart. If you can help that boy to get well, then I must disobey my King and obey my heart. I have nothing to offer as proof for your trust. You must obey your heart.”

“We will wait until the camp is emptied. Then we will leave.”

“I will feign injury and return to the camp. When the leech is finished with me, I will saddle another horse, pack enough supplies for a long journey, and meet you. You pick the spot.”

“You cannot come with us. Such action is foolhardy. Leading the men away could be explained. They do not have to know we were not gone. But if you do this,” Aragorn said quietly, “you risk death.”

Erkenbrand snorted. “I risk death every day. But please let me accompany you to help the boy. I have a son myself.”

Aragorn put his hand on Erkenbrand’s shoulder. “If you do this, you will truly help. I cannot thank you enough.”

“I do not do it for thanks; I do it for the Mark.”

“Then be off with you,” Elrohir said. “We will bring the horses in. When the noise of your departure dims, we will leave here. We will travel exactly three hours east, following Eärendil. We will wait for you there.”

“I will be there an hour after you arrive.”

“Vala spede,” Aragorn whispered.

Erkenbrand’s eyes widened, but he said naught. Bowing low, he left them.

~*~

They went to the back of the house and knocked. A young girl answered and, when Ragnhild saw her, her mouth dropped open. She knew this girl’s mother, had helped birth this child that stood before her.

“Ragnhild!” the girl cried in delight and wrapped her arms around the leech’s neck. “To have someone from home here, someone I know and love!”

“Hush, Forleaswyn. Do you have a moment? Would you come outside where we may speak in private?” She sighed in exasperation. “Will you pretend not to know me?”

The girl lifted her eyes in surprise and nodded. She took them into the garden on the side of the house and motioned for them to sit.

“Your master,” Ragnhild asked. “What is he like?”

“Cruel, always ready with a snarl and a sharp word. But he does not beat us. No one can please him.”

“Why are you here, then and where is your mother?”

“When father died, an uncle wrote and said he had work for mother here with free board. We came and the uncle died soon after. We had nothing. Mother runs Lord Dagnir’s household and I cook. But I hate it. I love flowers. I want to be here, here in this garden. See the work it needs. But there is no one in Tarnost that will work for him. Only those destitute or his personal guard.”

“Would he hire another cook?”

“Oh! I think so. He is not happy with my Rohirric ways and spices. Do you know someone?” Her eyes widened. “But why are you here? What has happened in Meduseld?”

“I have always trusted your mother. Is she at home?” Ragnhild ignored the girl’s questions.

“Aye. I’ll bring her here.” She turned and ran for the house.

Aerin asked, “Will she not tell her master about us?”

“I hope not. I am perhaps putting too much trust in people. But I trusted this woman long before I was old. The man at the town center was full of himself and his tongue was loose. He will only remember his own importance, when this song is sung.”

“Will it be sung, Ragnhild?”

“Aye. It will be and we will have a part in it. Here comes my friend now!” She strode forward and warmly hugged the woman, who looked every bit mother to young Forleaswyn. “Hathawyn, it is good to see you. I have oft wondered how you fared, but I did not know you left the Mark. I am sorry life has not treated you well.”

“But it has – for are you not here now and Tarnost has become a friendlier place because of your presence. But you do not come here to visit?”

“Nay. Aerin, take Forleaswyn and let her show you the flowers.”

The girls smiled and left. Hathawyn turned to Ragnhild. “It is serious?”

“It is. There has been treachery – plotted in this very house. Prince Imrahil sent me to discover the depths of it. Does it poison all of Tarnost.”

“Prince Imrahil himself?”

“I cannot tell you all now. But I must take employment here, if I can, to listen and to learn.”

“They will not take you, but your assistant. I could easily use a scullery girl. If only you were a cook!”

“I have a boy with me who is a cook’s apprentice for the Steward’s own men. Would they hire him?”

“They would and gladly. The master makes no bones about the meals my child makes. She would be sought after in the Mark. But as for here – they put up with her because of me.”

“Both young ones are smart and close-mouthed. If you might say a word on their behalf? But all must believe we are outcasts from Mundberg.”

“But what will you do? My master pays hardly enough to keep a body alive.”

“I hope that our mission will be swift as this is only the first part. I will let it be known around the town that I am a healer, a leech. Folk will come to me, I hope. Besides, we need little enough to live on and I have some coin from Prince Imrahil.”

“The young ones will live here in the back rooms. They will have to share with two or more to a bed, but they will be fed.”

“I need their ears open and yours too, if you deem it not too dangerous. My companions, though young, have vowed to serve Gondor in this way.”

“Will the Mark benefit?”

“Deeply. Upon this lies the stability of Gondor. Théoden King himself sent me to help Mundburg and the Steward.”

“Then you have my heart in this also. Where are you staying?”

“The Tarnost Hills Inn.”

“Then go there now. Leave Aerin. I will bring her in and introduce her. Then, send over the boy as quickly as possible. I will say they came together. Since they both have the look of Gondor about them, there will be no questions.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List