Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 20 - Ally or Enemy

“There is something curious here, Captain. They speak as if this man is a stranger, yet there deportment speaks of deep concern. You know the adage, ‘Never trust an Elf;’ I do not trust these.”

Erkenbrand nodded in agreement. “We will not turn our backs upon them in their need, but we will watch them, and closely.” He walked towards the little hut where the travelers had been put up. Moving the entrance cloth aside, he bent and stepped inside. Both Elves looked up in surprise. “I am sorry. Perhaps you expected me to announce myself?”

Elladan bristled, but Elrohir’s eyes sparkled. “It is at your mercy that we are here. You are most welcome - and without announcement.”

Erkenbrand smiled broadly. “My men are… fearful of you. It is not often that we meet those of your kind. You have an ill feeling about you. At least to their eyes. I - now I see differently. I see, perhaps, allies? Would you say that also?”

“Allies indeed. For do we not battle the same creatures? Orcs and other such carrion are the enemy of Elves; I have heard they are your enemy too?”

“Aye. And other things. May I sit?”

Elladan stood, motioned for the captain to take his seat, and stood behind Elrohir.

Erkenbrand sat and looked with a practiced eye at the man who lay motionless upon the cot. “I have offered you my leech and yet you have not used him.” His eyebrow arched imperceptibly. “Do you not trust me?”

Again, Elladan’s sharp intake of breath caused the man to smile. Elrohir nudged his brother in the side. “As much as you trust us, my Lord.”

Erkenbrand laughed loudly. “So – we are even. Trust is a very hard thing in these times. Those who once were friends find themselves watching the other with fear. Yet, it is not wise to fear an ally.”

“It is not wise to trust completely.”

“I fear that is our problem,” Erkenbrand said, brow furrowed. “It is part of the enemy’s plan, I think, to keep allies at each other’s throats. His work is less taxing. May I speak plainly?”

Elrohir looked deeply at the man, willing himself to understand him. “It would be better for us both if you did.”

“Then I will tell you this. You have trespassed on the Riddermark. My king deems death a fitting punishment for such a breach. It is left to the Marshals’ and the Captains’ judgment to decide the fate of one accused of such a crime. I already have made my decision. You will be allowed to leave once your friend recovers.” He held up a hand as Elladan stepped forward. “Aye! I say friend. For my eyes are not blind, nor my heart. I can feel your distress at that man’s state.” He looked towards Aragorn. “He is not someone you found on the plains. He is more unto you than – ah, a brother? I cannot believe that. But your concern for him passes beyond friendship. Who is he? And who are you? I have told you my name!”

Elrohir sat still. The wind whipped along outside causing the entrance cloth to blow in and out. His breath mimicked the blowing cloth, in and out, in and out. After a moment’s hesitation, he put his hand on Erkenbrand’s knee. “I am called Elrohir and this is my brother Elladan. We come from Imladris. I believe you call it Rivendell. This man is a close friend of ours, brother-warrior. We have fought with him for many long years. You know the friendship of warriors; I can see it in your eyes. His name is Strider.”

“Why are you in the Mark?”

“You do not mince words, Erkenbrand of the Mark,” and Elrohir’s gentle laugh filled the tent. “We have a friend who is near death on the eastern borders of your land. We go to him to give aid, if we can. He is dear to us.”

Erkenbrand shook his head. “Never had I thought Elves would befriend men, for things are strained since last man and Elf fought together. Never had I thought Elves would go to such lengths to help a man.” He shook his head in dismay.” I cannot give you permission to travel across the Mark. I cannot.”

~*~

Éomund rode as hard and as fast as his horse would take him. He stopped for fresh mounts at Amon Dîn, Nardol, and then planned on stopping at the garrison of Erelas. If he had not found them by that time, then he knew he had failed. He rode through the night always staying upon the road. None questioned him at the various garrisons, for was he not newly wed to Théoden King's sister and messenger of Rohan. The orders he carried were signed by Prince Imrahil himself, stating that all aid should be given to him, and fresh horses supplied to him.

It was now five days since Indis had left Minas Tirith. He must find them soon. They could only have made about three leagues a day what with the slowness of the cart. He should be upon them. But where were they? He scanned the horizon. There! There in the distance. They were on the road! He hurried his mount faster, hoping the beast would not falter. It was still a fair distance to Erelas. He had planned on changing horses there.

As he approached, he noted only one horse riding beside the wagon. ‘What has happened? Are all inside the cart? Have some been injured by some happenstance?’

~*~

The low moan startled him. He turned from the Rohir and took Aragorn's hand.

"Estel," he whispered.

Elladan moved closer, placing himself between Erkenbrand and the cot.

Graciously, the Rohir saluted and left them.

"Rumin? Is she all right?"

"She was not able to escape the water, Estel. We tried, but our focus was on saving you."

"We are with the Rohirrim?"

"We are. Their captain, Erkenbrand, gave us shelter. How do you feel?"

"My fingers and toes tingle and I feel colder than I have ever felt, but I am alive." He smiled. "In fact, I am better than alive," his eyes sparkled, "I am free."

Elladan stepped nearer the cot. "What mean you, Estel?"

Aragorn tried to sit up, but both brothers gently pushed him back down. Elladan ran for another blanket, folded it and propped it under his brother's head.

Looking long at each of those he so dearly loved, he said, "There was a presence in my mind that I did not know was there, did not feel until it was gone."

"A presence?" Elladan asked.

"It was the wizard, as far as I can tell. The cold, the shock, something freed me. I no longer can feel that presence. I am free." He leaned back and smiled broadly. “We may now continue our journey."

Elrohir smiled. "I see it in your eyes, Estel. They are clear and bright. More like unto the eyes of my brother than I have seen in days."

"I am sorry to have put you through this."

Elrohir laughed warmly. "You put us through nothing. Did not your nose find these wonderful accommodations?"

Aragorn laughed, then sobered. "How has the captain treated you?"

"He is very young, but has wisdom. I like him and would spend time with him, if we were able. I know that is not possible, but mayhap in the future our paths will meet again." Elrohir smiled again. "However, the challenge will be to either sneak away from this camp with stolen horses, or leave the Riddermark completely."

At Aragorn's quizzical look, Elrohir said, "It is time for you to rest. I have some miruvor. Drink it and sleep."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List