Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 11 - A Fell Darkness

His head hurt. He could not understand it. Elrohir was sitting on his chest. He blinked once, twice, then tried to move, but his brother held him firmly on the ground. He tried to lift his hand to rub his forehead; the pain was intense. “What are you doing?” he asked incredulously.

“Aragorn?” Elrohir still held him down.

“Elrohir, what are you doing? Why are you sitting on me? Let me up, my head aches fiercely.”

Elladan touched his brother’s shoulder and shook his head in warning. Elrohir nodded.

“Who is Arwen?”

Aragorn looked at him in disbelief. “What are you asking? You know perfectly well who Arwen is. What has come over you two?” His grey eyes startled wider. “Elrohir. Are you all right? Elladan. What makes you fear me? Has the wizard done something to the two of you?” He put his hand on Elrohir’s arm and winced as his brother flinched. “Are you afraid of me? What lies has the wizard woven in your mind? It is I, your brother, Estel.”

“Are you Estel?” Elrohir asked quietly, whispering the question, hoping it was indeed Estel lying before him.

“I am Estel, your brother. And you are Elrohir, my brother. We are more than kin; we are of the same heart. Elrohir. Please speak to me as brother, as friend. You frighten me.”

Elrohir took Aragorn’s chin in his hand and looked deeply into his brother’s eyes. Then, letting go, he raised himself from Aragorn’s chest and stood away. Elladan looked closely; after that, he offered a hand. Aragorn grasped it and rose. Each stepped away from the other and all three, standing in the warm glow of the fire, waited expectantly – for what? None knew. An owl screeched in a tree nearby. Still they stood.

Aragorn, at last, rubbed his face with both hands as if laving it; then ran them through his hair. “We seem to be out of sorts tonight. You have some miruvor, do you not, Elrohir? Perhaps now would be a good time to partake of some?”

Elrohir sat on a little mound in front of the fire and drew a flask from his tunic. “I think that is a welcome suggestion. You too, Elladan. Let us share some of this and wash away whatever evil has come upon us.”

Elladan sat too and Aragorn joined them. After passing the flask back to Elrohir, Aragorn asked, “Would you now tell me why you attacked me?”

Elrohir looked into the fire while Elladan looked in amaze at Estel. At last, Elrohir spoke. “Our father greatly depends upon the wizards, all three. He has much respect for them. I have been taught to value their counsel. Until today, I was prepared to obey our father. Mithrandir has always been friend to Elves,” he raised his hand to ward off Estel’s obvious impatience. “Galadriel herself trusts the Grey Pilgrim explicitly. Was he not with the White Council when they drove the Necromancer from Dol Guldur?”

He bowed his head for a moment. “Something happened while we were with Curunír. I do not know what, but some power flowed from the wizard towards us.” He took a deep breath. “Towards you, Estel.”

Aragorn looked at the fire, brow furrowed. “Are you sure,” he asked quietly, “that something did not happen to you. I was not the one sitting on my brother’s chest, holding him down.” He looked towards Elladan. “And I was not the one holding my brother’s legs.”

“You remember nothing?” Elladan asked in amaze.

“What is there to remember? First, you were taunting me as we did as children, the next, you were attacking… Nay. It was Orc. Orc were attacking…” He shook his head, held his hand to his forehead and groaned. “The Orc?” He stood swiftly, turning towards Elrohir. Elladan stood also, quickly putting a comforting hand on his shoulder, but Aragorn did not notice. “Where are the Orc? Have we killed them all?”

“Peace, Estel. They are dead.” Elrohir quickly looked at Elladan, who wisely said naught. “Sit, brother, and we will tell you all.”

“Why do I not remember?” Aragorn asked before sitting. Elladan, once again, sat next to him.

“Close your eyes for a moment, brother. Take a breath and listen to me without question. You trust me, do you not, Estel?” When his brother nodded the affirmative, Elrohir continued. “What I tell you next is the truth, for Elladan and I both saw and heard the same things. You do not remember because… Estel, you must trust me!”

Aragorn looked up into his brother’s eyes. Noting the anguish in them, he stood. Elladan’s eyes widened in concern, but he did not stand. Aragorn moved towards Elrohir. Still Elladan watched. Aragorn sat at Elrohir’s feet.

“It grieves me to see you thus. To think that you believe I do not trust you.”

“Nay. The words I must speak next are difficult and will cause you pain, Estel. I must know that you will listen, without interruption, and believe that what I say, even though it may seem the most fantastic tale you have ever heard, that you believe that it is true.”

“I swear, my brother, on the grave of my mother, that I will listen and believe. Does that comfort you?”

Elrohir’s eyes grew moist. He leaned forward and touched Aragorn’s shoulder. “Aye. That comforts me, Estel.” Sitting back again, he began.

“When we were with the wizard, I thought he focused his attention upon Elladan and I, leaving you forgotten. I wish that it had been so. While he was speaking with us, his mind must have been focused on you. You never stirred while he spoke and I gave you great credit for not being perturbed or insulted. Estel,” he bent forward and watched his brother’s eyes. “You were being attacked by the wizard. Unbeknownst to us.”

Aragorn did not move; his eyes fixed on his brother.

“The wizard’s words are filled with cunning. While we sat mesmerized, he focused his speech on you, telling you lies, filling you with fear. I am sorry, my brother. I believe it is so,” and he paused for a moment, “because you attacked Elladan and I, calling us Orc. We had to overcome you forcibly, else you would have hurt yourself or one of us.”

“Lord Elrond must be told immediately,” Aragorn said through clenched teeth. Then he turned to Elladan. “Vaguely do I remember wielding some weapon, I hope it was not my sword, and waving it at you. Forgive me.”

“There is naught to forgive.” Elladan had stepped towards them. “My concern was with you. I was afraid we had lost you forever.”

Aragorn stirred and the face he lifted to Elrohir was pain-filled. “How do we know that you have not lost me? How do we know that the fit, or whatever it was, will not assail me again? I bid you leave me. I am not fit to be with at this time.” He stood and walked away, out towards the plains of Rohan, his arms wrapped tightly about his chest.

They heard great sobs coming from him.

~*~

The likwain traveled far onto the Pelennor. At last it stopped, well away from any farms or settlements. Another wagon drew near, driven by Gorlim. The patrol had swung around, in the night, and met at the appointed spot. Quickly and quietly, they removed the body from the wagon, wrapped tightly in blankets to keep any foul disease within; then, Indis and Listöwel moved into the wagon. Baranor picked up the sleeping Théodred and placed him on the wagon’s blanketed floor while Gorlim placed Faramir in Indis’ arms.

Another soldier drove the likwain off towards the servant’s final resting place and the band of now very weary travelers moved towards the North Gate. It was imperative that they reach it before daybreak, so the pace set was hard and fast. Indis clung to Faramir, placing cushions all around him to protect him from the jostling cart.

By this time, Listöwel’s head drooped. Indis sobbed as she looked at the three about her. How she wished she could have left them all behind, in the safety of Minas Tirith, and just taken Faramir herself. Again, they were on a road filled with danger and the outcome was less than certain. In fact, in Indis’ deepest thoughts, she had lost hope. As they passed through the North Gate, a darkness fell over her and she slept, assailed by wild dreams of men attacking, along with Orc and fell beasts.

A hand touched her and she screamed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List