Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Weeps - Book Two - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 5 - Brothers United

Once Lord Elrond had been apprised of the situation, he opened his apothecary to his foster-son. Estel and he spent several hours pouring over notes looking for the most effective potions to heal the young Steward. When they finished, they sat back on the stools and were quiet.

At last, Lord Elrond spoke. “When do you plan on leaving?”

“I must be away before sunset. Already I have been here too long. Every day, every moment, draws Faramir closer to death. There is Elf in the blood of the sons of Denethor,” he choked on the name but continued, “The lad could fade.”

“He could. Though I have heard of no such thing happening to a man. But it is possible. You have rested only a few hours.”

“It is all I need. I will away to the kitchens and pack some food, with your leave, and then depart.”

“Which path will you take?”

“I was planning on going past Angrenost. Then, through to Edoras. The Rohirrim will lend me another horse. I will leave yours with them until I can claim it again. Then, on to Minas Tirith.”

“May we ride with you at least to Tharbad?” Estel turned quickly and looked at the sad faces of his brothers. “We would be no bother, we promise.”

He smiled warmly. “I would be most pleased to have your company.”

“Ada?” Elrohir asked.

“You give Estel hope that you can go with him before asking for my permission? I think you are trying to manipulate me,” they smiled at him, “but I agree. It would be best. Though Orc attacks have been few, as of late, I think an escort would be wise. At least until Tharbad.”

Both Elves quietly bowed and backed out of the room, watching as their father laughed at their absurd departure.

“They are good sons, as are you, but I grow weary of their continued antics. None would believe, at times, that either of them has come of age!”

Estel laughed. “They are as dear to me as they are to you, Ada.”

“It is good to hear that title pass your lips again; it has been a long time since you called me ‘Ada.’”

“I have been in the wilds a long time, Ada, and have come to value our relationship deeply. Forgive the headstrong lad that would relegate you to ‘Lord’ when we are alone.”

Elrond stepped down from the stool and unceremoniously hugged Estel. “You are dear to me, my son. Report to me before you go back north.”

“I will, Ada.” Estel returned the hug and strode from the room.

He was quickly grabbed by the shoulder and spun around as he left the apothecary. “When do we leave?” Elladan asked

“Now! We must pack some food.”

“And wine!” Elrohir added.

“And some warm clothes. The mountains dump fresh snow, outside our valley, at least once a week. Rohan will be just as cold.”

“Then let us find such clothing and food and depart this place.”

~*~

Elladan’s words had been farsighted. They had not gone a day from Imladris when snow fell, deep and cold. They had found a small cave, the first night, and quickly lit a fire. Rummaging through their supplies, Elrohir found a small loaf of sunflower bread. He sighed. “I love this bread with a nice flagon of wine.”

Elladan laughed. “You love practically everything with a nice flagon of wine!”

Estel joined his brother’s laughter; then grew quiet.

“I do not understand how the child could be in such a state.”

“Tell us what you know, Estel.”

“His father was murdered; Rohan discovered the treachery; Théoden led a sortie to return the body; Faramir and Boromir were attacked on the road; Théoden moved them with no one’s knowledge; their escort was attacked; Faramir and Boromir were separated; Faramir was tortured and finally rescued; during the rescue of Boromir, Boromir was murdered. Faramir watched.”

“And what part of Faramir’s present state do you not understand, Estel?” Elrohir asked quietly. “I would share something with you that is quite painful, but will perhaps help you understand Faramir’s condition. A very long time ago, in the time span of men, our mother—"

Elladan gasped. “You will not….”

“I will. We have accepted what happened, have done our own grieving, and must help Estel understand grief. His father died before he even knew him. And his mother died in peace in Imladris.”

“But he has seen death and suffering!”

“None of those who held his heart, Elladan. If you do not wish to hear this, then rub down the horses.”

“They have already been rubbed down,” Elladan said testily. “I will stay. But I do not agree.”

Elrohir sighed and turned back to Estel who looked on in surprise. “Our mother went to Lórien to visit relatives. A sizable entourage was sent with her for protection. A large band of Orc, spewing from the mountains, engulfed her party. She was taken. Unspeakable things were done to her, torture and such. It was… It was many days before the deed was discovered. My brother and I were part of the group that found her. Father’s most potent potions and charms could not heal her. Within a very short time, she sailed to Valinor.”

Elladan was sobbing by the fire and Estel looked on, askance.

“Though Elladan and I were already of age, we grieved.” He looked at his brother. “We still grieve. A madness overtook us, Estel, and we left Imladris in search of the Orc who stole our mother. We spent many long centuries killing and killing. Our grief could not be assuaged. Finally, our father took us to task.” He smiled. “He was most persuasive. Finally, we were able to resume some semblance of a normal life. Though we continue to kill Orc when the opportunity arises.”

He paused for a moment. Elladan looked up, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. “We still miss her and the grief is great,” the elder Elf said. “If not for father’s love, I believe we too would have been lost eventually. Grief can kill, Estel.”

Elrohir nodded. “What can a six year old human do to fight such things as he endured and such sorrow? It is more overwhelming than even our sorrow. If it was in my power, my brother, I would go with you all the way to Minas Tirith, but I fear I would not be welcomed.”

Estel agreed. “Elven fear is rampant in Gondor and in Rohan. Though I bitterly fought such things while I was in Thengel’s service, and Denethor’s.”

“We reach Angrenost in a short time, Estel. Will you visit the wizard before we pass?”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List