Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of Old It Was Not Darksome  by Edoraslass

 


From the Misty Mountains to the Iron Hills they came to join Gimli son of Gloin on his journey, for he was returning to Khazad-dum, in order to lay to rest the brave dwarves who had fallen there.

It was not pleasant, nor quick, but it was a necessary task, carried out with deepest respect and many cries of sorrow. Each fallen dwarf was identified by garb and weapon, each name was written down so that families could be notified, and know that their son or husband or father had been properly honoured. Later, these names would be carved into marble pillars, one for each settlement of Durin’s Folk, so they would not be forgotten.

Gimli could not help but remember the last time he had seen these hallowed walls – there they had rested and eaten after a long day’s march; there Merry and Pippin had wandered off down a side-corridor and had nearly been lost; there he had sat and listened to Aragorn talking with Gandalf after they thought the rest of the party was asleep.

The halls rang with the echoes of footsteps and low, mournful song as the bodies were brought the chamber where Balin lay. It was not large enough to hold all those who had died, so nearby rooms were prepared to serve as additional tombs. Many tears were shed; each body was laid out and arranged with greatest care, whispered words of blessing were spoken over all.

A young dwarf approached Gimli, an uncertain expression on his face. “This was found in Balin’s tomb.” He held out what looked like a bundle of cloth.

Gimli did not know what it was, nor why the young dwarf was giving it to him. But he took it, shook it open to its full length, and gave a shocked cry.

A cloak; fur-lined, of heavy damask wool, and made to fit a noble man both tall and broad. A cloak which Gimli knew had been woven by both mother and brother, to keep their loved one warm. The silver clasp was tarnished, but the White Tree was still visible on its surface.

Gimli wept into the musty fabric, then carefully stowed it with his belongings. Then he returned to the makeshift tombs, to help his kin ease the sorrow of their hearts.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List