Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Many Aspects of Merimac Brandybuck  by Lily Dragonquill


Title: The Fright
Rating: G
Summary: Merimac acts the overprotective father.
Year:
1428 (Bluebell is 27)

Special thanks to Dreamflower.



~*~*~

 

“Ah, my daughter!”

Adamanta stopped with her hand on the door knob. Something in her husband’s overly pleasant voice told her that now was not the best moment to open the door to the garden and meet him. Her heart went out to Bluebell, wondering what the girl had done to displease him this time.

“My daughter, with my beautiful inherited looks and the immaculate traits of a Brandybuck…”

Adamanta was glad Merimac could not see her, as she struggled to keep her face straight. It seemed her ever modest husband was having one of his humbler days.

“… and some person of doubtful origin.”

Merimac’s voice, though still pleasant, darkened considerably. Adamanta knew this particular tone of voice. Merimac had acquired it three years ago when Bluebell’s first suitors appeared on the doorstep. Adamanta called it The Fright, a nickname those tweens of Buckland interested in their daughter, had adopted when talking about her husband. She had nothing against her husband’s protectiveness. All fathers went through this and all daughters had to endure if they were to get a family of their own. Merimac, however, overdid it. Considering her husband was an expert at being a rapscallion tween chasing after girls, Adamanta was not surprised.

“Doubtful origin? I’ve been working beside you in the fields for years, Mac.” Adamanta recognised the voice as belonging to Robin Burrows from Bucklebury. He was a handsome young lad and more sensible than most.

“Don’t Mac me, boy! What are your intentions towards my daughter?”

“Father!” Bluebell cried out at the same time Robin mumbled a confused: “What?”

Merimac went on oblivious, acting the strict and fearful father – a role he was perfecting with every boy he successfully scared away even if said boy’s only crime was to look at Bluebell for longer than a moment. “You heard me, boy!”

“I have no intentions,” Robin defended himself helplessly. He paused, thinking over his answer. “Well, I do intend to take her to the Bucklebury Fair but that’s nothing out of the ordinary.”

“Exactly!”

Merimac’s exclamation astounded her. Usually an explanation like Robin’s was followed by something along the lines of: “You say that now, but the moment you’re out of my sight, you will have forgotten all about your claim.” Adamanta was curious where this new tactic would lead to.

“Exactly!” Merimac repeated when the reply he seemed to have expected failed to be forthcoming. “It is nothing out of the ordinary. This is my daughter you’re talking about. ‘Nothing out of the ordinary’ is not enough. She deserves something special.”

“But I’m just…” Robin went on confused and was stopped short by Merimac.

“Do you disagree?”

No!” Robin blurted out, but seemed at a loss for words. Adamanta chortled. The poor boy! He did not know that The Fright was already won.

“So you agree?” Merimac asked pointedly.

“Yes,” Robin stumbled over his words. “She deserves better. She…,” peeking through the door Adamanta could see Robin straighten his back. “I shall take good care of her.”

“You had better,” Merimac agreed and Adamanta could all but see the fearful scowl her husband liked to warn overeager tweens with. She felt sorry for Robin who shrank visibly.

“I’m sure he will!” Bluebell interrupted, grabbing the lad by the hand and pulling him away. “I shall be back by dinner.”

“You had better!” Merimac repeated sternly and as Adamanta opened the door to step into the afternoon sunshine she thought she heard an embarrassed Robin call a quick farewell, before the two youngsters took flight. Merimac greeted her with a confused look, but smiled in response to her own laughter. “You’ve been eavesdropping.”

“And you like him,” she countered and planted a kiss on his cheeks. He put an arm around her shoulder and gazed wistfully after their daughter and Robin.

“She could do worse.”

Adamanta grinned. “She could.”

Merimac sighed. “I’m still worried."

“You just be glad she doesn’t take after you,” she teased.

“Mmh,” was all he replied. Adamanta knew he would never stop worrying about their Bluebell. She was his little girl, the apple of his eye, and in his eyes no-one would ever be good enough for her.




~The End~

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List