Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Many Aspects of Merimac Brandybuck  by Lily Dragonquill

Title: Among Family
Rating: G
Summary: Frodo visits Brandy Hall where he meets his new baby-cousin, is encouraged to start a family, and finds out that he has one already.
Year: 1401


Special thanks to Dreamflower.



~*~*~



Frodo glanced down at the small bundle in his arms. Huge, blue-grey eyes studied him intently, a pale brow knitted in confusion at his unknown face, and small rosy-coloured lips parted with a smacking sound.

He smiled and gently caressed the infant's cheek. "Hullo, little Bluebell. I am your cousin Frodo."

Bluebell smacked her lips once more and gave a small grunt.

"I think she's hungry," Frodo said to Adamanta but the baby's mother shook her head.

"She can't be. I fed her moments before you arrived."

Frodo had come to Buckland a month earlier than was usual. This was his first Yule without Bilbo and though he enjoyed being the Master of Bag End there were times when he felt lonely, especially now that the days had grown short and the evenings before the fire were long and silent. After a while he had lost interest in his books and found himself thinking of Bilbo more often than not. He wondered where the old hobbit was and sometimes he even asked aloud all the questions he had on his mind. When the message arrived that little Bluebell had been born Frodo found her the perfect excuse to come to Buckland a month early.

On his way to the Hall he had been surprised by a snowstorm and before Esmeralda allowed him to see his new cousin, she made sure he was warm, dry, and had a morsel to eat. She always made such a fuss when he arrived and though he was still embarrassed about it he had to admit that he liked to have someone take care of him, especially since Esmeralda was openly delighted to see to his well-being.

"Bluebell Brandybuck," Frodo whispered and gently grasped one of the baby's tiny hands. "A very poetic name." He looked at the maid child's father. "You didn't choose it, did you?"

"You wouldn't put it past me, eh?" Merimac huffed. "Too un-bookish, am I?"

Frodo shrugged and though he was just a bit nervous at the indignant tone in his cousin's voice he smiled as he saw the older one's grin.

"It was Mantha's choice," he admitted, laying an arm around his wife's shoulder and kissing her cheek. "And I'm very glad she didn't go for Bonnie or any of her other horrendous suggestions."

Frodo grinned. "Merry told me some of them. Horrendous, indeed."

He gave Adamanta an apologetic look, but she waved it aside. "I don't want to see the names you come up with if you had nine months to think about them."

"Doubtlessly something Elvish," Merimac agreed.

Frodo shrugged. "It has a nice ring to it, hasn't it, little Nellothiel**?"

Bluebell waved her arms. The furrow on her brow was gone and to Frodo she looked decidedly pleased. He grinned at the proud parents. "She agrees."

Merimac simply nodded and Adamanta smiled as she leaned closer to her husband. Frodo noted that she looked tired and had dark rings under her eyes. Yet, at the same time she seemed to glow with happiness, but that, he told himself, might as well be the reflection of the firelight.

"I doubt they will be back tonight," Esmeralda announced as she entered the family parlour. "The storm only grows worse."

Saradoc and Merry had gone to Haysend for business and had been surprised by the same storm Frodo had been caught in. According to Esmeralda they wanted to be back by dinnertime but Frodo knew Saradoc was wise enough to find some lodgings for the night with weather like this. Even Frodo had been tempted to stay in The Golden Perch but in the end his wish to see his family again had won.

"A child suits you well," Merimac said suddenly. "You should get yourself one."

Frodo blushed furiously. Heat rose to the tip of his ears and he found himself unable to meet his cousin's eyes. He all but knew about the older one's wide grin, especially when Adamanta admonished him, for once, shocked by his bluntness.

"What is it?" Merimac defended himself. "If I were his age, less married, and had a huge smial begging to be filled with my offspring I wouldn't hesitate."

"I doubt you would," Adamanta replied and held him tight. "Thankfully, you are very much married."

"Besides, he isn't exactly ugly," Merimac went on, oblivious. "There have to be some lasses attracted by him."

Frodo knew he must be crimson by now and was glad when Esmeralda put an end to his cousin's wild speculations about dozens of girls pestering Bag End every evening. If only she hadn't patted his shoulders so fondly while speaking for him. "Now, now. He's only just come of age. He has lots of time to find the lass he wants to spend his life with."

Merimac nodded and, when Frodo dared to lift his eyes, he winked at him and whispered conspiratorially. "Clover hasn't any suitors as far as I know but I think to remember you were quite fond of her, and she of you."

"Mac!" Frodo called out, now truly appalled. "That was years ago!"

Merimac shrugged. "Well, now you're of age."

Frodo shook his head but to his surprise discovered that he wasn't so averse to having a private chat with Clover. They grew up together but he hadn't seen her for quite a while. He wasn't surprised she didn't show up on his birthday party, after all her family disliked him too much to allow her to come. He was delighted though when he had received a letter from her.

"You realise you're smiling?" Merimac asked and was obviously pleased to see his plans for Frodo bear some fruit.

Frodo countered with a smile that was just a little vicious. "Assuming Clover was your Bluebell here, would you still be so eager for me to see her?"

"He would chase you out of the smial if you did as much as talk to her. Shake her hand and he would personally rip your head off and keep it as a trophy," Esmeralda remarked before Merimac could do as much as think about an answer. "And don't object," she told her brother-in-law. "I know fathers of daughters and they tend to be touchy as soon as their girls reach their tweens."

"You're thinking of old Adalgrim?" Merimac asked.

"Of him, of Pal, and of you. You know too well the mind of a young up-to-no-good to let your lass out into the world and face them."

Frodo snickered. Merimac looked as if Esme had just slapped him. He gazed at her for a very long moment, wrinkled his nose, and eventually got up to take his daughter from Frodo. The little maid-child had fallen asleep and Merimac seemed all too glad to have an excuse to bring an end to this conversation.

"You bested him," Frodo whispered to Esmeralda who nodded and smiled smugly.

"She did no such thing," Merimac told them. "It's just that Bluebell and Adamanta need their sleep."

"And you need time to come up with a reply," Frodo remarked.

"Cheeky little brat!" was all Merimac had to say to that before they exchanged their good night and he and Mantha left the parlour together.

Frodo and Esmeralda exchanged a look and broke into laughter. It felt good to be among family again and Frodo was sure he wouldn't regret he had come to Brandy Hall for the Yule preparations. He was welcome in Buckland and though Bag End was his home he knew there was always a room in the Hall for him.



~THE END~



** my own creation from the Elvish words for "bell", "flower", and "female"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List