Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Many Aspects of Merimac Brandybuck  by Lily Dragonquill

After having collected so many stories with and about Merimac I feel like having to explain myself, especially after realising that Merimac doesn't necessarily have the main role in the stories though he usually is a figure of some importance. Either Frodo is sneaking into the Merimac stories…or Merimac sneaks into what would be a Frodo story :)

All this started out as a challenge by Hobbits100 over at LiveJournal. I was assigned twenty prompts to be included in twenty different stories. I have not yet written stories for all prompts although some prompts definitely could have been used for stories already posted. The reason for this is that I already have ideas for stories that fit better to the prompts.

Yet, this series is reaching unforeseen dimensions. While I thought to write about twenty or twenty five stories the muses had different ideas. Looking at my file with ideas for stories without Merimac I have about three pages. But the file with the Merimac stories has reached its eighth page now.

I have discovered an increasing fondness of the early generation of hobbits so I assume there will be a lot more stories to come with Saradoc, Paladin, Drogo, Primula, and even Esmeralda... young and old. But of course Frodo will keep sneaking in from time to time. His name, at least, appears in many notes :)

For a while I pondered ripping this series apart and post each story separately again but after some thought and good advice I decided to keep them in one place – at least the ones featuring Merimac.

The stories are not written in any particular order but I have added a date to each to help you track them. The ficlets are mostly rated G but the rating is also stated separately in every story.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Story List:


Feeding a Cousin
Merimac involuntarily shares Frodo's meal.


Once Bitten, Twice Shy
Sequel to Feeding a Cousin. Ten years after the incident with Frodo Merimac faces a similar situation.


Tomp Tomp
Merimac gets a hearty welcome from his young cousin. But said young lad has second thoughts.


To Die For
A visit at Buckland's market has unexpected consequences.


Punishment
Frodo has to serve a sentence. At the hands of his elder cousin Merimac, punishment however turns into an enlightening experience.


Master’s Heir, Master’s Son
An almost typical summer day hides some important revelations for the Master and his sons.


Looking After
A birthday party leaves Merimac to prove his competence in looking after 4-year-old Frodo - with unexpected consequences.


A Pony Too Little
It’s Saradoc’s birthday but it is Merimac who gets his hands on his brother’s present.


Sleep
On one of their first nights together, Adamanta watches her husband.


Easing Troubles
When Merimac looks in on his son one night he finds the lad in tears.


Bedtime Hour
It's Merimac's first night in the room he shares with his brother.


Milk and Honey
When young hobbits are ill milk mixed with a little honey is the best remedy.


Hero
Four tiny ficlets where Merimac either acts as hero or is in need of one.


A Special Yule
An illness has Adamanta miss the Yule festivities. Her husband keeps her company and sees to her well-being and happiness.


Joy of Your Life
Children are the joy of your life - or aren't they? Baby Pippin causes not only his father to think about his children.


A Father's Reflection
Shortly before the birth of his first child Merimac ponders his new role as a father and husband. Adamanta unwillingly puts him to the test many years later.


A Little Rest
Merimac stumbles across a very tired Frodo and is determined to see the lad at rest.


Pets
Merimac is in trouble but his brother is there to help him out – or isn’t he?


Between Leaves
Frodo has got into a predicament and needs the help of another to get out again.


Among Family
Frodo visits Brandy Hall where he meets his new baby-cousin, is encouraged to start a family, and finds out that he has one already.


Precious
A visit to Whitwell and a quarrel with its occupants causes some discomfort.


Penny Buns or The Straw Hat Chronicles Part I
A ride through the woods leads two brothers to a tasty discovery.


Nursing
Adamanta is away to care for a sick cousin, leaving Merimac alone with both children, when Bluebell unexpectedly becomes ill as well.


Of Pranks and Experiments
Saradoc gets a chance to repay his brother for a prank he played on him.


The Chanter's Tune
Merimac practices his new instrument.


All that is Needed
Merimac helps Adamanta forget her worries.


The Apprentice
While the Brandybucks are waiting for their dinner Merimac entertains wee Frodo.


The Smell of Yuletides Past
The Brandybucks enjoy an afternoon of baking and eating biscuits.


Tuckburough Market
The beginnings of a certain hat...


The Fright
Merimac acts the overprotective father.


Hands
Four vignettes where a hand says more than words can.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List