Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

The Many Aspects of Merimac Brandybuck  by Lily Dragonquill

Title: Joy of Your Life
Rating: G
Summary: Children are the joy of your life - or aren't they? Baby Pippin causes not only his father to think about his children.
Year: 1390

Special thanks to Shirebound for betaing.



~*~*~



It was a cold afternoon in early Solmath when the families Brandybuck gathered in the Tooks' living-room. Laughter and talk filled the chamber, and cakes, sandwiches, and tea were devoured -- but the centre of all attention was little Peregrin Took. The newborn was admired by everyone, much to the enjoyment of his parents. Paladin, in particular, beamed with pride, and Merimac seemed unwilling to let go of the little Took once his arms got hold of him.

"Can I have him now?" Berilac inquired, shifting his weight nervously from one foot to the other. He was the only one of the children who had not chosen to go to the nursery.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because I am holding him now," Merimac told his son firmly, and gently rocked the bundle in his arms as if to prove his point. "Why don't you go and play with Merry and the lasses?"

Berilac opened his mouth, but the look in his father's eyes silenced every protest. He stood for a moment, pouting, before a call from his cousin had him hurrying to the nursery.

Paladin smiled after him, but quickly returned his attention to his own son who was curiously studying their guest. His girls were not too happy about the new member of their family. Vinca would rather have had a little sister, while Nel claimed that she didn't want any more siblings at all. Only Pearl didn't care, but then his eldest didn't care much about anything these days. Paladin, however, could not be happier. He loved his daughters more than anything. Each had her own special way: Pearl had his strong will, Pervinca possessed the amiable perkiness of her mother, and Pimpernel was gentle and calm except when she was irritated. But then, all his lasses were able to mouth their opinions loud and resolutely if need be.

Peregrin, Paladin was convinced, possessed his very own special character. Peregrin was his son, after all, and that was a special blessing in itself. Esmeralda had called the boy Paladin's spitting image: auburn hair, cleft chin, alert eyes - eyes that almost crossed in the effort to follow Merimac's finger which was currently tipping the child's nose.

"Merimac!" Paladin cried, fretting that his son should be teased so.

Merimac grinned and used that same finger to stroke it across the baby's brow. "It seems you've finally done something right."

Paladin canted an eyebrow.

"Well, he's a lad," Merimac pointed out.

"Yes," Paladin agreed, "and we've had three daughters before him. Wonderful daughters, mind you."

Merimac chuckled. "I didn't say the opposite. No need to take offence."

"He doesn't take offence," Eglantine laughed, reaching for Paladin's hand. "He just doesn't know which child to be prouder of."

"Ah," Merimac nodded. "I don't have such worries."

"Not yet," Adamanta chipped in.

Merimac gazed at her in amazement. "What do you mean?"

Mantha shrugged. "I wouldn't mind."

Merimac's face brightened, and Paladin could all but read his thoughts as the younger returned his attention to little Peregrin. He winked at Adamanta who smiled shyly, but it was Saradoc who spoke out loud what everybody knew already. "Someone's not disinclined."

Merimac made no reply but continued murmuring to Peregrin, who eagerly grasped the finger Merimac was once again extending to him. Paladin smiled down at his son and squeezed Tina's hand. She was right in a way: he would never know which of his children he should admire more. They were all special and he would never tire of watching them grow. It filled him with more than just a little pride that he should be the one to accompany them on their way to adulthood and beyond.

"Dad!" Paladin turned around as Pimpernel hastened towards the table. "Berilac called me names and now he is quarrelling with Pearl. Pearl says she is the older one but Berilac insists that he is a boy. And Merry is shouting because Berilac wouldn't let him do anything else."

"Where is Clover?" Paladin asked, surprised that the children were alone.

"She's gone to clean up Vinca, who got jam smeared all over her face."

At that very moment a yelp was heard from the direction of the nursery, followed by a thud and a victorious outcry. "See, I told you I'm stronger."

Paladin immediately jumped to his feet, as did Esme and Mantha, but Merimac stopped them all three. With a heavy sigh, he handed Peregrin to Tina and ambled towards the nursery. Taking Nel's hand in his, he cast a meaningful glance over his shoulder and winked at Adamanta. "Children are the joy of your life, eh?"

There was another yelp from the nursery and Merimac finally quickened his pace. "Berilac Brandybuck! Stop fighting the lasses."

"I'm not! I'm fighting Merry!" was the boy's insistent reply before all sounds faded once again.

As if the lack of noise had been some kind of secret cue, the adults broke into laughter. Paladin leaned towards Adamanta conspiratorially. "He wouldn't mind, either."

She nodded and smiled all the more, then held out her arms to Tina. It was her turn to hold Peregrin, and she didn't want to miss a moment of it.



~THE END~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List