Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Many Aspects of Merimac Brandybuck  by Lily Dragonquill

Title: Easing Troubles
Rating: G
Summary: When Merimac looks in on his son one night he finds the lad in tears.
Year: 1387

Special thanks to Slightly Tookish for betaing.


~*~*~


Merimac yawned sleepily and rubbed his neck. It had been a long night in the stables but now he owned a gorgeous chestnut filly. A beauty - perfect for breeding and worth the many hours of waiting.

On his way from the bathing chambers a candle flickered and went out, plunging him into momentary darkness. Merimac sighed but shuffled on. After all he could barely keep his eyes open anyhow. Either way, before he went to bed he wanted to look in on Berilac. The boy had seemed a little distressed this evening and had been utterly disappointed when Mac had told him that he could not come along.

As he turned the knob a stifled sob met his ear and Merimac frowned. "Berry?" he whispered into the darkness and carefully ventured in. "Berilac?"

The form on the bed stirred, then went absolutely still - too still. The room was utterly dark except for the light of a small lamp Berilac liked to have lit. Said light now played with sandy brown curls and Merimac could not resist the urge to comb his fingers through them. Berilac quivered and a sound somewhere between a whimper and a sob escaped his lips. Merimac felt a sting in his heart. "What is the matter, boy? What troubles you so - and at this hour?"

Berilac made no reply but curled up tighter. Merimac waited and soon curiosity got the better of his son. "How did it go?"

Merimac smiled a little. "We've got a new filly. If you want, you and Merry can see her tomorrow." Berilac nodded but Mac all but heard him swallow hard. "Berry?" he asked concerned. "Did you quarrel with Merry?"

The child shook his head but finally turned to nestle close to him. "It's Frodo," he mumbled. "He's angry with me. He yelled at me this morning and when I yelled right back he grabbed my arm and shoved me out his room. And Merry," he sniffed. "Merry was with him, watching, and he seemed sorry but he didn't say a word. In the afternoon Merimas and I saw Frodo again and I told him that he was stupid and that you'll beat him up if he pushed me out his room once more. But he merely glared at me and told me to shove off and leave him alone or he'll beat me up. And then he ran down to the river and I haven't seen him since."

In spite of the irritating news Merimac had to smile a little. Berilac entrusted to him his all and everything, lifted him further up than he probably deserved and yet always brought him down again. He loved his child more than he had ever thought possible and though he wanted nothing more than to put Frodo in his place there was something disturbing about this piece of information. Frodo might lash out at Saradoc and others from time to time but with the little ones he was always gentle and understanding. It wasn't surprising that the described behaviour had frightened and confused Berilac. Merimac already pondered going to Frodo right away for - being the bookworm he was - he would surely still be up and reading. But then a thought struck him. Today it was exactly seven years since the death of the boy's parents. Frodo had always been more distressed and touchy on the anniversary. No one could reach him then and no matter how good their intentions were Frodo would scorn at them. Only Merry possessed this odd gift of understanding him and only he could comfort Frodo although his young nephew surely did not fully understand what was going on.

"Da?" Berilac had turned to look at him, his face questioning. "Will you beat Frodo up?"

Merimac shook his head. "Punching someone is never a solution, son. This has been a difficult day for Frodo and I'm sure he already feels sorry for being harsh."

"And if he isn't?"

"Then I shall talk to him tomorrow," Merimac assured. "Go to sleep now, lad, it's late."

Berilac protested but when a huge yawn claimed him he snuggled into the pillows willingly enough. Merimac tucked him in and kissed his brow. "Good night."

Merimac turned to leave when his son called once more for him. "Da? If he apologises do you believe I should tell him that I didn't think him stupid?"

"You should," Merimac answered with a fond smile. "I'm sure Frodo will be glad to hear that."

"What makes you so sure that he will apologise?" Berilac asked further.

"He loves you, boy, and he probably didn't know how much he hurt you."

"Why?" the child inquired and Merimac had to smile despite his weariness.

"Sometimes we do things without thinking or without knowing that we hurt someone we care about. And believe me: Frodo would rather beat up anybody else for you than punch you or Merry."

"Are you sure?"

Merimac nodded.

"Then why didn't he allow me into his room?"

"Ask him," Merimac suggested, "but don't be angry if he doesn't reply. And now, my boy, it's high time for you to sleep."

Berilac grinned. "Da?"

"No 'da'," Merimac told him and waggled a finger. "Da is almost asleep himself and will be glad when he gets into his own bed."

"Good night, da," Berilac replied, his smirk showing in his voice.

"Good night."



~THE END~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List