Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Many Aspects of Merimac Brandybuck  by Lily Dragonquill

Title: A Pony Too Little
Rating: G
Summary: It’s Saradoc’s birthday but it is Merimac who gets his hands on his brother’s present.
Year: 1345 (Saradoc turns 5, Merimac is 28 months old)

Special thanks to Slightly Tookish for betaing.


~*~*~



"Mine!"

Merimac sat on the floor, chubby hands clutching a small, wooden pony to his chest. Blue-green eyes glowered up at Menegilda while at the same time observing every movement in the family's living-room. It was the morning of his brother's birthday and in honour of that his grandparents, the Master and Mistress, had given him a carving. Unfortunately Merimac had got hold of it when it was unwatched and had thus started a vociferous quarrel with his brother.

"No, Merimac, that's Saradoc's present," she said softly but with a resolute tone to her voice as she kneeled down in front of her youngest. "Give it back to him."

The child shook his head vigorously, sending a threatening glance in his brother's direction lest he should come closer. "Mine!" he repeated again, fingers tight around the pony.

"Look, dear," Menegilda tried again pointing at Saradoc. "You're brother is very sad because of your behaviour."

To her misfortune Saradoc looked more like a kettle close to boiling than a picture of misery.

"He'll never give it back!" the older one yelled, tears of anger burning in his eyes. "He'll ruin it! He's ruining everything! Why do I have to have a brother? I never wanted one!"

"Hush, boy," Rorimac admonished putting a hand on his son's mouth.

Merimac kept glaring at his brother but there was a hint of a challenge in his voice when he repeated that the pony was his.

That did it for Saradoc. The boy leaped forward and Menegilda could barely stop him from lashing out at his brother. Merimac screamed, Menegilda called Saradoc's name and a moment later the boy struggled in her lap while the tot fled on all fours.

"I want the pony!" Saradoc cried and Menegilda rolled her eyes. Why had she so hoped to have boys? Girls, surely, must be easier to handle. Beseechingly she looked at her husband. Rory sighed but got up nonetheless while she returned to sit with her parents-in-law. Saradoc immediately climbed into his grandfather's lap to whine about his cruel fate in having a younger brother and repeated that he had never wanted one but that another carved pony would be great.

Rorimac meanwhile knelt down in front of the small table in the far corner of the room under which Merimac sought shelter. At first he used the same method of persuasion Menegilda had tried but soon his voice turned stern. Merimac's reply became a shy whisper which resulted in pained sobs as his father loosened each of the ten small fingers separately to retrieve the captured pony.

At Rory's return Saradoc broke into delighted squeals. Glances of triumph were sent to an utterly miserable Merimac while the pony was made to gallop over Gorbadoc's shoulder and arm. Menegilda almost pitied her youngest as he sat sulking under that dark polished table, small arms crossed in front of his chest, lips pouting and cheeks flushed from tears.

"Quite a handful, aren't they?" her mother-in-law chuckled as she sipped her tea.

Menegilda turned with a sigh. "They can be better as you well know. At the moment it's just that Merimac thinks everything he gets his fingers on is his and Saradoc needs to work on that bit of a temper he has."

Mirabella smiled. "If he is like his father or Primie it will never quite disappear

Menegilda nodded, knowing well her husband's obstinacy. It had softened ever since he had become a father, but in Rory's youngest sister, Primula, she could still see that same spirit. Primula was a fine young girl and regularly helped her out with the lads but she had her own mind and could be quite stubborn about her ways.

"Mummy?" Merimac tugged at her skirts and reached up his hands.

Menegilda easily picked him up and brushed a thumb across the damp cheeks. "Calmed down again?"

Merimac sniffed and flung his arms around her neck, eyes resting sullenly on a contently playing Saradoc. "Po Mac, pease."

"No lad," Menegilda replied. "This one is for Saradoc but I'm sure he will let you play with it eventually."

"Now?" Mac asked hopefully but Saradoc shook his head and glared at him, the pony protectively pressed to his chest.

Menegilda respected her older son's wish and tried to draw Merimac's attention to some of his other toys but the tot was too grumpy to be distracted. It was only when Mirabella suggested playing a clapping game with him that he cheered up and Menegilda thankfully handed him to his grandmother.

Her two lads were indeed a handful but she would not want to give them away for all the silence and repose on this earth. She loved being needed even if it meant settling two boys' recurring dispute for she knew that her children in truth loved one another. They only needed to learn how to share and play together now that Merimac was old enough to follow his brother.



~THE END~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List