Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Testaments of the Past  by Dreamflower

ADOPTION CERTIFICATE OF FRODO BAGGINS

BY

BILBO BAGGINS

Whereas, Drogo and Primula Baggins, were the parents of Frodo Baggins; and

Whereas Drogo and Primula Baggins died on the thirtieth day of Rethe, 1380 S.R. leaving said Frodo Baggins, a minor, without any living parents; and

Whereas I, Bilbo Baggins, am the first cousin once removed of Frodo Baggins on his mother’s side and the second cousin once removed on his father’s side; and

Whereas I, Bilbo Baggins, desire to adopt Frodo Baggins as if he were my own child and make him my heir; and

Whereas I, Bilbo Baggins, am Co-Guardian along with Saradoc Brandybuck of the minor, Frodo Baggins and believe this adoption to be in the best interests of the minor, Frodo Baggins;

Now therefore, this is to certify that I, Bilbo Baggins, hereby agree to and do adopt my cousin, Frodo Baggins, a minor, as my ward and heir on this thirthieth day of Rethe, 1389.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I, Bilbo Baggins, have signed and published this ADOPTION CERTIFICATE this thirtieth day of Rethe,S.R. 1389.

BILBO BAGGINS

Be it known that I, Saradoc Brandybuck, being the hobbit named and appointed by Drogo and Primula Baggins, deceased, as the Co-Guardian along with Bilbo Baggins of Frodo Baggins, a minor, hereby agree and consent to the adoption of Frodo Baggins by Bilbo Baggins and further state that such adoption is in the best interests of the minor, Frodo Baggins.

WITNESS my signature this thirtieth day of Rethe, S.R. 1389.

SARADOC BRANDYBUCK, Co-Guardian


WITNESSES:

PALADIN TOOK PONTO BAGGINS PORTO BAGGINS

ODOVOCAR BOLGER GRIFFO BOFFIN MILO BURROWS ODO PROUDFOOT

Subscribed and acknowledged before me by Bilbo Baggins, the adopting parent and Co-Guardian of Frodo Baggins, Saradoc Brandybuck, the Co-Guardian of Frodo Baggins, and subscribed and sworn to before me by the above witnesses on the thirtieth day of Rethe, S.R. 1389.

Now therefore be it known that from this time hence, FrodoBaggins is hereby officially adopted by Bilbo Baggins, with all rights and entitlements thereto.

WITNESS my signature and seal this thirtieth day of Rethe, S.R. 1389.

HERIBERT GRUBB(SEAL)


Links to illuminated Adoption Certificate:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/gryffinjack1/AdoptionCertificate1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/gryffinjack1/AdoptionCertificate2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/gryffinjack1/AdoptionCertificate3.jpg

RENUNCIATION

RENUNCIATION made this 30th day of Rethe, S.R. 1389, by Bilbo Baggins, an adult, of Hobbiton located in the Westfarthing of the Shire.

W I T N E S S E T H:

Whereas, Drogo and Primula Baggins, were the parents of Frodo Baggins; and

Whereas Drogo and Primula Baggins died on the 30th day of Rethe, S.R. 1380, each leaving an inheritance to said Frodo Baggins, a minor; and

Whereas I, Bilbo Baggins, have this date adopted said Frodo Baggins as if he were my own child and am making him my heir;

Now therefore, this is to certify that I, Bilbo Baggins, hereby disaffirm and renounce all present and future right, interest, and ownership of any and all possessions and inheritances that my cousin, adopted ward, and heir, Frodo Baggins, a minor, has received from his parents, Drogo and Primula Baggins.

Furthermore, this is to certify that Frodo Baggins shall be allowed to draw ten (10) silver pennies per annum from his inheritance from his father, Drogo Baggins, to be used solely in his own and unfettered discretion.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I, Bilbo Baggins, have signed and published this Renunciation this 30th day of Rethe, S.R., 1389.

BILBO BAGGINS

WITNESSES:

SARADOC BRANDYBUCK PALADIN TOOK PONTO BAGGINS


ODOVOCAR BOLGER GRIFFO BOFFIN MILO BURROWS ODO PROUDFOOT

Subscribed to and acknowledged before me by Bilbo Baggins and subscribed and sworn to before me by the above witnesses on the 30th day of Rethe, S.R. 1389.

HERIBERT GRUBB (SEAL)


LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

OF

BILBO BAGGINS


Be it remembered that I, Bilbo Baggins, a resident of Hobbiton, located in the West Farthing of the Shire, being of sound and disposing mind, memory and understanding, and mindful of the uncertainties of this life, do hereby make, publish and declare this document as my Last Will and Testament, and hereby revoke all former wills and testaments or writings and codicils thereto, by me made.

ARTICLE I. Funeral Expense. It is my desire that all of my funeral expenses be paid out of the assets of my estate as soon as practicable after my death, and I order and direct that any members of my family who have disbursed their personal funds for the payment of my funeral expenses be reimbursed promptly by my Executor.

ARTICLE II. Personal Effects. I hereby give, devise, and bequeath all of my personal effects, furniture, furnishings, smialhold goods, silverware, china, Elven books, and ornaments not otherwise disposed of to my dear cousin and heir, Frodo Baggins. In the event that my cousin and heir, Frodo Baggins, shall predecease me, then and in that event, upon my death, that cousin’s portion of all of my personal effects, furniture, furnishings, smialhold goods, silverware, mathoms, Elven books, and ornaments not otherwise disposed of shall be distributed equally amongst all of the children of my cousin and heir, Frodo Baggins.

ARTICLE III. Specific Bequests. I hereby give, devise, and bequeath Bag End to the head of the Baggins family, my cousin and heir, Frodo Baggins.

ARTICLE IV. Disposition of Residuary.

A. Upon my death, all of the rest, residue, and residuary of my estate, herein referred to as my Residuary Estate, be it real property, personal property or mixed, wherever situated, of which I may die seized or possessed, or to which I may be or become in any way entitled or have any interest, shall be distributed to my dear cousin and heir, Frodo Baggins.

B. In the event that my cousin and heir, Frodo Baggins, shall predecease me, then and in that event, my Residuary Estate shall be distributed equally between my cousins, Dudo Baggins and Dora Baggins.

C. In the event that either of my cousins, Dudo Baggins or Dora Baggins, shall predecease me leaving no issue, then and in that event, that cousin’s portion of my Residuary Estate shall be distributed to the children of said deceased cousin, Dudo Baggins or Dora Baggins.

ARTICLE V. Payment to Minors and Incompetents. Except as provided for in Articles III and IV, if, pursuant to the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, any portion of my estate becomes payable to any beneficiary during such beneficiary’s minority, or to any beneficiary who shall have been determined to be incompetent, my Executor, in his sole discretion, shall be authorized to distribute said portion of the estate to a parent or guardian of the beneficiary, or to the person with whom such beneficiary resides, without obligation by the Executor to look to the proper application or use of any payment so made; or the Executor, in his sole discretion, may make distributions in such manner as he believes will best benefit the beneficiary, and also may pay to the beneficiary directly such sums as the Executor shall approve as an allowance; or the Executor, in his sole discretion, may accumulate and hold all or a portion of the assets which otherwise would be distributed to the beneficiary, and distribute said assets to the beneficiary when he or she attains the age of thirty-three (33) years, or upon removal of the incapacity. However, if said beneficiary dies before the age of thirty-three (33) years, or prior to the removal of the incapacity, and no other provision is made in this Will for the passing of such beneficiary’s interest to others, then my Executor shall distribute any accumulated corpus and income to the estate of the beneficiary.

ARTICLE VI. Implementation Upon Constructive Death. In the event that I leave the Shire and its environs, then and in that event, in the event I have conveyed my intent to permanently remove from the Shire, then and in that event, it shall be construed that I have constructively died and all of the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, shall at that time be implemented with the full force and effect as if I were deceased.

ARTICLE VII. Renouncement. I hereby resign, renounce, and relinquish my position as head of the Baggins family to my cousin and heir, Frodo Baggins, upon my actual or constructive death.

ARTICLE VIII. Powers of Executor. In the administration of my estate pursuant to the terms of this, my Last Will and Testament, the Executor shall have the following powers, which may be exercised in whole or in part, and which shall be deemed to be supplementary to and not exclusive of the general powers of executors pursuant to the rules of the Shire, and shall include all powers necessary to put the same into effect. Such powers may be exercised independently and without the prior or subsequent approval of any authority, and nobody dealing with the Executor shall be required to inquire into the propriety of any of his actions.

A. To retain, in his absolute discretion, and for such period as he shall deem advisable, any and all investments and other properties held by me at the time of my death without liability for any loss incurred by reason of the retention of such investments or properties.

B. To sell, pledge, and otherwise dispose of the assets of my estate and of the interests established pursuant to this Will, or any part of said assets, when he deems such action necessary and proper for the purpose of complying with my testamentary desires as herein expressed, and for the purpose of conserving, preserving and maintaining my estate.

C. With respect to any indebtedness held by me at the time of my death, to enter into agreements for the alteration of my interest therein, or of the rights and obligations under any contract with respect thereto, in effect at the time of my death.

D. To take any action deemed advisable to enforce, compromise or arbitrate any obligation, lien or other claim held by me, and to agree to any rescission or modification of any contract or agreement.

E. To hold undivided interests in any other properties held by
me or that may form part of my estate at the time of my death, or that may be purchased or acquired thereafter on behalf of my estate without being required to make a physical division of any properties which may form a part of my estate at the time of my death.

F. In the event that at the time of my death I am a member of any partnership, joint venture, or undertaking, whether alone or jointly with one (1) or more persons, I hereby authorize and empower the Executor to carry out and perform the terms of such partnership or joint venture, including furnishing additional assets as may be necessary or desirable in the sole discretion of my Executor, it being my intention that the Executor shall have full power to cooperate with my surviving partner or partners, or joint venturers in such manner as shall be deemed advisable by the Executor, in order that the continuation, development and intention of such partnerships, ventures, or undertakings shall not be prevented or interfered with by virtue of the continued interest therein of my estate.

G. To loan or borrow money to or for such businesses or business interests which I may own at the time of my death.

H. To lease any real estate for such terms and upon such conditions and in such manner as he may deem advisable, and any lease so made shall be valid and binding for the full term thereof. To make repairs, replacements and improvements, structural or otherwise, to any such real estate; to insure against fire or other risks as he may deem proper. To subdivide real estate, to dedicate same to public use, and to grant easements as he may deem proper.

I. Whenever required or permitted to divide and distribute any funds under this Will, to make such distributions in money or in kind, or partly in money and partly in kind, and to exercise all powers herein conferred until my estate had been fully distributed.

J. To employ accountants, attorneys, and such agents as he may deem advisable; to pay reasonable compensation for their services.

K. To determine which assets or portion thereof shall be distributed to or for the benefit of each beneficiary of my estate in satisfaction of the share which he or she is entitled to receive under this, my Last Will and Testament. The selection and distribution of assets by the Executor shall be binding and conclusive upon all persons and shall not be subject to question by any beneficiary.

ARTICLE IX. Appointment of Executor.

A. I hereby appoint my cousin, Saradoc Brandybuck, as Executor under this, my Last Will and Testament.

B. In the event my cousin, Saradoc Brandybuck, shall predecease me, or for any reason shall fail to qualify as Executor hereunder (or having qualified, shall die or resign), then and in such event, my cousin, Ponto Baggins, shall be appointed as Successor Executor under this Will, in which capacity he shall possess and exercise all powers hereinbefore conferred on my Executor

C. In the event my cousin, Ponto Baggins, shall predecease me, or for any reason shall fail to qualify as Executor hereunder (or having qualified, shall die or resign), then and in such event, my cousin, Paladin Took, shall be appointed as Successor Executor under this Will, in which capacity he shall possess and exercise all powers hereinbefore conferred on my Executor.

ARTICLE X. Appointment of Guardian.

A. I hereby appoint my cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck, or the survivor of them, as Co-Guardians of my cousin and ward, Frodo Baggins. I strongly request that my cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck, send my ward, Frodo Baggins, to live with my cousins, Paladin and Eglantine Took, for a few weeks each spring as that is a very difficult time of the year for my ward, Frodo Baggins, to be in Buckland.

B. In the event that both of my cousins, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck, shall predecease me, or for any reason shall fail to qualify as Guardian hereunder (or having qualified, shall die or resign), then and in such event, my cousins, Paladin and Eglantine Took, or the survivor of them, shall be appointed as Successor Co-Guardians of my ward, Frodo Baggins, in which capacity they shall possess and exercise all powers hereinbefore conferred on my Co-Guardians.

ARTICLE XI. Construction of Will. Wherever the context of any provision of this Will permits, any word in either number shall be construed to mean both singular and plural; any word in the masculine gender shall include the feminine and neuter; any word in the feminine gender shall include the masculine and neuter;

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I, Bilbo Baggins, have signed and published this Will this 30th day of Rethe, S.R. 1389.

BILBO BAGGINS

WITNESSES:

SARADOC BRANDYBUCK PALADIN TOOK PONTO BAGGINS


ODOVOCAR BOLGER GRIFFO BOFFIN MILO BURROWS ODO PROUDFOOT

This instrument was signed, sealed, published and declared by Bilbo Baggins, the Testator above named, as and for his Last Will and Testament, in the presence of us, who in his presence and at his request, and in the presence of each other, have hereupon subscribed our names as witnesses, this clause first having been read to us and we now intending to certify that the matters herein specified took place in fact and in the order named. Furthermore, we, the Testator, Bilbo Baggins, and the witnesses respectively, whose names are signed to the foregoing instrument, do hereby declare to the undersigned officer that the Testator signed the instrument as the Last Will and Testament of Bilbo Baggins and that he signed voluntarily and that each of the witnesses in the presence of the Testator, at his request, and in the presence of each other, signed the Will as a witness and that to the best of the knowledge of each witness the Testator was at that time thirty-three (33) years or more of age, of sound mind and under no constraint or undue influence.

Subscribed and acknowledged before me by Bilbo Baggins, the Testator, and subscribed and sworn to before me by the above witnesses on the 30th day of Rethe, S.R. 1389.

HERIBERT GRUBB(SEAL)


 
Heribert Grubb, Attorney

Heribert Grubb, Attorney

Heribert Grubb, Attorney
 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List