Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

This takes place a few days after Prompt 41 (Road).

I have added a chronological listing of the ficlets in the prologue. I'll update it with every 5 or so ficlets, and I plan on putting in direct links sooner or later.

Happy Halloween, to those that celebrate it!


Prompt 50: Surprise
Ficlet: The Unexpected
Rating: PG
The Vale of Imladris, 3001 TA

It was mid-afternoon when Elrond's sons came to Imladris with the couple other elves who had completed their small hunting party. The group arrived earlier than was expected, finding a suitable deer for the Homely Houses' cooks sooner than anticipated.

As their companions gladly brought their prize down into the kitchens, Elladan and Elrohir made their way to their father's study to greet him. As they made their way through the house, the peredhil suddenly came upon an unexpected sight.

Sitting on a bench near an expansive window was a man reading a book. He was well dressed and clean shaven, and his countenance was relaxed. While they had not seen him for decades, both the elves knew immediately who he was.

"Estel," Elladan whispered, as if he were afraid that if he spoke too loudly the scene would disappear.

It did not, but the man looked up from his book to glance at the speaker. He stilled when he saw them, and a flash of emotion passed over his eyes before he managed to hide it. He put the book down and stood up to face them. Slowly, as if he were unsure of what to do, he acknowledged them with a short bow.

Elladan would have none of it. He quickly closed the gap in between them and all but shoved the man into the wall.

"Elbereth, Aragorn, where have you been all these years?" he cried to his foster brother. "If it had not been for Haladan's reassurances, we would have thought you dead!"

Elrohir joined the two and gently, but firmly, pushed his twin's arm down. However, he leveled Aragorn with his own stare. "We searched for you, and you evaded us. You did not reply to our letters, nor stay when we came to Sarnhold. Why do you come now to Rivendell after all this time?"

Aragorn's own face remained stoic as he replied. "I do not know why I came back. Nonetheless I did, and your father bid me stay until you returned. He claimed that you desired to see me."

"Desired?" Elladan said, incredulous. "Desired indeed! Is that what you say about our searches for you through these past decades?" Then, in a move that Aragorn did not anticipate, the elder twin engulfed the man in a large embrace. "Yes, I desired to see you, you fool. How could I not?"

Aragorn returned the gesture, but Elrohir remained still, his emotions kept hidden under his stoic expression. When the two parted, Elladan noted his brother's countenance, and a frown formed on his features. The two twins looked long at one another before Elrohir suddenly departed, ignoring Aragorn completely. They were silent until he was out of sight.

"I am sorry," Aragorn said suddenly. Elladan did not need clarification.

"I forgave you the moment I saw you," he said. "Elrohir will need more convincing. You hurt us."

"I see that now, and I regret it."

"How long will you be staying?"

"A season. Perhaps longer, and shorter if I am needed by my people."

"I see." Elladan frowned. "It may be enough time to mend the rift you have created." The peredhel glanced down the hall that his brother had just passed through, and then turned to the scene of the outside world beyond the window. His gaze finally fell to the bench, where the book that Aragorn was reading still lay. He read the title, and the reason for Aragorn's actions suddenly became clear to him.

"The Tale of Beren and Lúthien," he murmured, glancing at his foster brother as he did. "You did not wish to speak of Arwen with us." Aragorn said nothing, but his eyes betrayed him. "You truly are a fool," said Elladan with a small smile and a shake of his head. "I know my sister well, and I know her to be as stubborn as anyone can be. Only she could have made the choice to love you."

"You are not angered that I did not turn her away?"

"How could you? You have loved her since you were a boy, and she, too, had affections for you even then. If she decided that she loves you, she was not persuaded by others. She came to the decision on her own. Yes, we are saddened that she has chosen a mortal path," said Elladan, and his voice softened as he thought on her choice, "but both Elrohir and I have talked long on this, and we agree that she could have chosen no better a man than you, Estel."

"Thank you," the man replied, but his tone said more than words could ever say. Elladan smiled.

"I am glad I understand why you did not see us all these years- though how you could possibly believe that we would be angry with you when we searched fruitlessly for you is beyond my imagination."

"I have been a fool."

"So you have, but you have time to make amends." Elladan put an arm around the man and embraced him once more. "Give it some time, and then talk with Elrohir and explain your actions. But in the meantime, I will happily tell you one thing."

"Yes?"

"Welcome home, Estel."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List