Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Writing Aragorn as a child is difficult for me. Writing hobbits can sometimes be challenging. So here's more practice for both XD


Prompt 46: Shy
Ficlet: First Meeting
Rating: G
Imladris, June 2941 TA

While it is a little known fact, hobbits have a rather acute sense of hearing, and so Bilbo Baggins was able to distinguish the sound of footfalls long before anyone came into sight. He knew it was no elf, for they walked completely silent, so he assumed it was either Gandalf or one of the dwarves. Rather than calling out a greeting, he waited for the visitor to approach him.

To his surprise, the footsteps stopped, but the figure was not anywhere to be seen. The hobbit casually glanced around, wondering if one of the dwarves was playing some sort of trick on him. They had rather odd senses of humor, these dwarves.

His gaze turned to a little clump of trees, and from his view Bilbo saw a bit of dark hair before the figure moved, completely hiding himself behind the trees. Both annoyed and curious, the hobbit left his bench and approached the figure to see who it was and what he was doing hiding behind the trees. He approached stealthily and so his spy never saw it coming.

"Now, what are you doing hiding here?" Bilbo said without preamble as he rounded the trees. "Oh! Goodness me, I beg your pardon. I thought you were someone else."

Instead of finding a mischievous dwarf as he had expected, the hobbit instead came upon a boy. The boy was kneeling and stood abruptly as Bilbo spoke, running his hand though his hair nervously.

"No, no, it is all right," said the boy. He recovered himself and gave the hobbit a quick bow. "I should be apologizing for interrupting your peace."

"It is no bother," said Bilbo with a bow of his own. "Now, my boy- if that is what you are- what were you doing here, hiding behind the trees?"

"I am a boy," he confirmed, "and the only one here in Rivendell, from what I know. And I was, well, wondering about you," he said with a light blush. "You do not look like a dwarf, master."

"That is because I am not a dwarf," Bilbo chuckled. "I only travel with them. I am a hobbit."

"Hobbit?" The boy frowned. "I have never heard of hobbits."

"Well, that is what I am. I live in the Shire, quite a good distance from here, and I am here to help the dwarves," said Bilbo. He left out his own doubts of his usefulness to the group.

The child nodded in acceptance of the answer. "My name is Estel."

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Estel. I am Bilbo Baggins."

The boy smiled. "Master Bilbo Baggins, could you tell me more about your people?"

"I would be delighted to," said the hobbit with genuine joy. He led Estel to the bench and began his first of many conversations with this mortal known only as Estel.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List