Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

This is probably one of my favorite ficlets I have written. It looks a bit more into the relationship of Gandalf and Aragorn through a humorous situation, albeit an annoying problem.


Prompt 18: Shortcut
Fic: Through Emyn Muil
Rating: G
Emyn Muil, 3014 T.A.

"Gandalf?"

"Hmm?" Gandalf grunted as he lifted himself over a larger boulder in his way.

"Are you quite sure you know where you are going?" Aragorn lifted himself over the same boulder as he followed the wizard.

"Of course I do," he replied, raising his bushy eyebrows in disbelief. "Do you not trust me?"

"I wouldn't be here if I did not," said the man with a smile. "But I am not so sure about this 'shortcut' of yours."

"Humph," he grunted. "You know as well as I do that going around the Emyn Muil would take much longer. Besides, Gollum may be lurking among these rocks somewhere."

"We haven't seen any sign of him," argued Aragorn as he carefully made his way through two large stones. "And as it is, we have been here much longer than you said it would take."

Gandalf merely grunted in reply, and Aragorn let the topic drop for the moment.

For the rest of the day they made their way past fallen boulders, through thin crevices within tall cliffs, and up steep slopes with slippery stones, always threatening to come loose under them. The hours passed, and the sun finally set behind the distant western horizon. As soon as it was dark, the two of them set up camp for the night. They did not dare to light a fire, for they were near Mordor and sometimes orcs lurked within these high cliffs. However, nothing disturbed them this night; they were the only creatures in this barren land.

As they rested, Aragorn suddenly spoke. "Do you know where we are?"

"The Emyn Muil, of course," replied Gandalf, a quizzical expression upon his face.

"No, I mean where in the Emyn Muil," explained the man.

"Somewhere near the northern edge, I'm sure," said Gandalf.

Aragorn suddenly laughed. "You have no idea where we are, do you?"

Gandalf frowned, but did not bother to answer. Once Aragorn stopped laughing, the wizard simply said, "The place has changed a bit since I was last here."

Aragorn shook his head, a smile on his face. "This is the last time I trust you and your shortcuts." Gandalf simply frowned, but Aragorn could see that his eyes were twinkling with amusement. Aragorn started to laugh once more, and soon enough the wizard started chuckling himself. Although the two were on a long and dangerous quest to find Gollum, that night they were just content to be with one another.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List