Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

This came to me after I was rereading some chapters from FOTR. I don't think I've done a prompt from FOTR, so this is a good place to start.

As it is, this prompt also features Sam. I never thought I was really good with Sam, so I really hope you all think I did him correctly. To me, he is one of the more challenging characters to really write. Well, here's for hoping!


Prompt 16: Trust
Fic: Finding Rest
Rating: G
Rivendell, very early morning; October 24th, 3018

"'Don't despair!' said Strider. 'You must trust me now.'" -FOTR, Flight to the Ford

It was late, and midnight had come and passed a few hours ago. In the early hours of the morning, Samwise Gamgee was desperately trying to stay awake. Just a couple of hours ago, a small shard of the Morgul blade had finally been found and removed from Frodo's shoulder, and finally it seemed that he was getting better. There was now a bit of warmth in his left arm, and Sam could see that his master's breathing was deeper and more relaxed. However, Sam wanted to stay up the whole night, just in case something happened.

He was startled when he heard someone behind him. Blinking the sleep out of his eyes, the hobbit turned around and saw that Strider was standing in the doorway, a gentle smile on his face.

"Still awake, Sam?"

"Of course," the hobbit replied, as if anything else was unthinkable. "Someone needs to look after Mr. Frodo, sir, and I know just what he needs."

"Of course," said Strider, his smile widening. "However, you do need some rest. You haven't slept for two days, and even then you still have not recovered all of the strength you spent on the trek from Bree."

"Begging your pardon, Mr. Strider, but I don't feel right comfortable leaving Mr. Frodo alone," explained Sam. "While I'm sure that Master Elrond did a fine job on his shoulder, he still may need something during the night."

"I shall watch over him," said Strider. "That is, of course, if you trust me," he added, a queer smile on his face.

"Oh, yes, I do!" Sam stuttered, a slight blush coming to his face. "Begging your pardon, sir, but you were not so inviting back in Bree, if you take my meaning, but you were true and did get Mr. Frodo here to Rivendell and all-"

"Peace, Sam," said Strider. "I jest only. I do appreciate it that you do trust me, however," he added, a smile softening his features.

Sam stopped talking, and merely nodded. "Well, you helped Mr. Frodo, and that is good enough for me," said Sam. Suddenly, he yawned.

"Get some rest, Master Samwise," said Strider. "I shall watch over Frodo."

Sam bit his lip, and finally he nodded in agreement. "Wake me up if you want to sleep, or if anything happens to him." Strider nodded, and Sam left the room and Frodo with Strider, thus showing how much he now trusted this mysterious man.


"'Sam never quite trusted him, I think.' ... Gandalf smiled. 'I have heard all about Sam,' he said. 'He has no more doubts now.'" -FOTR, Many Meetings





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List