Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Experience... I could not think of a ficlet for this prompt. Aragorn has had so many experiences, what could I write that could be really good? Finally, since I couldn't think up of anything specific, I instead gave into Meckinock's, erm, suggestion of writing a palantír fic. This one was difficult, so here's for hoping it turned out good. Here we go!


Prompt Nine: Experience
Ficlet: Deep Thoughts
Rating: PG
March 6th, the Hornburg

"'He has neither rested nor slept, I think. He went thither some hours ago, saying that he must take thought, and only his kinsman, Halbarad, went with him; but some dark doubt or care sits on him.'" -The Passing of the Grey Company

Halbarad silently watched Aragorn, who sat still in a chair with a small, covered item in his lap. He had followed his kinsman into the Burg, though he was not sure if Aragorn had even noticed him, so deep in his thoughts he was. For a long time he had just sat in that chair, looking down at the round object in his possession. Halbarad was not exactly sure what it was, but he knew that it brought his kinsman great doubt.

Finally, Aragorn stirred. He looked up and stared Halbarad straight in the eye. "Is there a reason you followed me?"

"Someone must look after you," said Halbarad with a small smile, but then he became serious. "Truly, Aragorn, I came out of concern. You are weary, and something is bringing grim thoughts to your mind. Tell me, what ails you? Is it something to do with that?" he asked, indicating to the covered object he had.

Aragorn did not speak at first, but after a moment, he said, "You know me well, Halbarad. Indeed, dark thoughts do plague me, and they are related to this."

Halbarad nodded, but he was still not satisfied. "What exactly is it?"

Aragorn sighed, and said quietly, "It is the Stone of Orthanc; one of the palantíri."

"A palantír!" said Halbarad, astonishment upon his face. "But how came you by it?"

"It was thrown from Orthanc after our encounter with Saruman, and Gandalf gave it to me once he went off to Minas Tirith with Pippin," he answered. "And now I intend to look into it and reveal myself to Sauron."

Halbarad was about to argue when Aragorn interrupted him. "Nay! Do not try to deter me, kinsman. I have thought about this for many a long hour, and I am not to change my mind. If I can master the Stone, I may see other threats that could change my road. I have made my choice."

The two Dúnedain stared at one another in the eye, Aragorn's face determined, Halbarad's grim. Finally, the latter of the two relented, and his face softened.

"Very well, then," Halbarad said quietly. "I have trusted your judgment before, and you have not failed me yet."

Aragorn gave a small smile to Halbarad, but became grim once more as he looked at the covered Stone. Taking a deep breath, he looked to Halbarad one last time, and when his kinsman nodded, his features hardened and he uncovered the palantír.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List