Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Web of Treason  by Linda Hoyland

These characters all belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

And Zadok the priest and Nathan the prophet have anointed him king in Gihon: and they are come up from thence rejoicing, so that the city rang again.. 1.Kings.I. 38 The Bible.

So ward es uns verhiessen,
so segne ich dein Haupt,
als König dich zu grüssen.
Du - Reiner!
Mitleidvoll Duldender,
heiltatvoll Wissender!

As it was promised to us,

Thus do I bless your head,

That I may greet you as King,

You – pure one!

Compassionate sufferer,

Enlightened Healer! - Parsifal -Wagner .Act three.

The next morning, Aragorn appeared calm and resolute. He knew that ere the sun rose again, he would either be restored to his rightful place; or despatched forever beyond the circles of the world. When he had awakened that morning, Arwen had begged him to let them prepare him according to ancient ritual. He had agreed. If today were to be the last time they met in this life, he would try to ease their parting by doing what he could to please her.

Breakfast was a sombre affair; with the four adults wondering if this would be the last meal they would ever share together. Only Elbeth was in high spirits, chattering incessantly and asking endless questions about where Strider and Uncle Faramir were going.

After she had fed and changed her daughter, Éowyn went to the stables to brush Roheryn and Zachus. She plaited their manes and tails in the fashion of the Riddermark when the Riders rode out to battle. Elbeth came out, wanting to help her. She permitted the child to assist her in grooming the placid Zachus.

“Can I go to the City with Uncle Faramir and Strider?” the little girl asked.

“No, you must stay and help me in the house,” Éowyn replied.

“But I want to go!” Elbeth protested. “Why won’t they take me?”

“Your elders know what is good for you, child! We cannot all do just as we would like to!” Éowyn snapped, suddenly no longer able to endure Elbeth’s prattle and afraid she might burst into tears.

Elbeth started to cry. “Why are you so cross with me?” she sniffed.

“I am just worried, child, I am sorry,” Éowyn said, inwardly scolding herself for being so harsh. “I cannot go to the City either. There is something we can do though; Elbeth, which is very important.”

Elbeth stopped crying and listened intently to her Aunt.

***

Soon after dawn, Faramir had gathered some athelas leaves at Arwen’s request. He had also collected some earth from the flowerbed in which it was grown and placed it in a small bowl.

Arwen was occupied gathering suitable garments for her husband and Faramir to wear.

As soon as breakfast was finished, Damrod and his sister filled the bathtub for the King in front of the kitchen fire. Faramir and Arwen led the King to the tub, telling him, he should bathe and then left him alone to undress.

Slightly puzzled why they were so insistent, but assuming the bath was in some way part of the ritual, Aragorn tried to relax in the too small tub, fearing any moment that his peace would be disturbed. He longed for the spaciousness and privacy of his large sunken bath in Minas Tirith. He wondered if he would ever again know the pleasure of stretching out his long legs in warm water scented with refreshing herbs. A part of him was tempted to hearken to Arwen’s pleas and go with her and Eldarion to the North, there to live out his days with his loved ones, enjoying the much simpler lifestyle of the Ranger Chieftains. It was tempting to leave Gondor and its treacherous lords for ever.

How, though could he abandon his people to oppression and hardship? He would not give in to traitors who sought to usurp his throne. He had not fought against Sauron to skulk again in the wilderness. Nor would he lightly cast aside the conditions that that Elrond had laid upon him before taking his daughter as bride.

He was startled out of his thoughts at the sound of footsteps. He covered himself with his arms as best he could, wishing fervently he had left his towel where he could reach it. To his relief he heard Faramir’s voice.

“Your lady and I would hallow you today, to prepare you to once more take up your mantle of kingship, my lord,” the Steward said solemnly, making Aragorn struggle to repress a wry smile. It was so like the Faramir of old. Knowing it could well be for the last time, Aragorn decided to humour him.

“Will you stand please, sire?” Faramir said formally.

Feeling somewhat awkward, Aragorn uncoiled his cramped body and rather inelegantly rose to his feet.

“Be thou blessed with Gondor’s good earth!” the Steward intoned, scattering a handful of earth over Aragorn’s shoulders. He then poured water from a bowl over him crying, “Be thou cleansed with this hallowed herb! ”

Aragorn recognised the refreshing scent of athelas and felt heartened by it.

“I will prepare you now, my lord.” Faramir bowed low and waited for a somewhat baffled King to climb out of the bathtub. The Steward swiftly wrapped him in clean towels. When Aragorn was dried, Faramir slid a loose linen robe over his head and knotted it securely with a cord around the waist. The King noticed that the garment was embroidered with the emblems of Gondor and Arnor.

“Come!” intoned Faramir.

Aragorn followed his Steward into the next room. Faramir hesitated on the threshold, wondering whether or not he should remain. “Stay, son of Gondor, who hailed me first as King!” Aragorn commanded.

A bowl of clear water stood on the table, surrounded by three lighted candles, a vase containing some sprigs of athelas, a knife, a goblet of wine, a bowl with some soil in it, the Elessar; and to his amazement, Andúril and the Star of Elendil.

Arwen, Elbeth and Éowyn stood beside the table. Arwen gestured for him to kneel before her. “When my father and Mithrandir sailed, they took with them the old magic,” Arwen said. “Now we who are left, must create a magic of our own.”

 With Éowyn’s assistance, she unlaced Aragorn’s robe at the neck and slid it from his shoulders, leaving him bared to the waist. He felt painfully exposed thus, with so many eyes on his cruelly scarred body. The room suddenly felt very cold and he trembled slightly.

Arwen now knelt before him. She had a small bottle in her hand and dabbed some of the contents of Aragorn’s head. It appeared to be some sort of oil, which smelled of a mixture of orange, roses and cinnamon. “Be thy head anointed with kingly wisdom!” she said solemnly. “I, the wise woman of the elder race, bless you!”

Éowyn knelt beside the Queen and after taking the oil, dabbed some over Aragorn’s heart. “Be thou anointed with compassion and love!” she intoned. “I, the mother, bless you!”

Elbeth next dabbed the oil on the King’s hands, saying; “Be thou anointed with prowess and honour! I, the maiden, bless you!”

Finally, Faramir took his turn and dabbed oil on Aragorn’s feet “Be thou anointed with valour and courage!” he said.

What had begun, as a mixture of the embarrassing and the absurd, became a strangely moving experience for Aragorn. A feeling of warmth enveloped him, while a new strength coursed through his veins. He rose to his feet, blinking back the tears. His wife and friends then knelt before him with the candles and the bowls of earth and water.

“May the Valar protect you through trials of fire and air!” said Arwen who held the candles. “I, the eldest, hallow you!”

“May the Valar protect you through trials of earth!” Éowyn said, kneeling with her offering of soil from the garden. “I, the mother hallow you!”

“May the Valar protect you through trials of water!” Elbeth said solemnly presenting the water. “I, the maiden, hallow you!”

Arwen put down the candle and placed her hands on her husband’s chest. Faramir stood behind him with his hands on Aragorn’s back. Together they recited several Elvish spells of protection over the man they both loved, albeit in very different ways.

Arwen then led Éowyn and Elbeth from the room. Faramir led his lord over to the couch, on which a variety of garments were laid. The Steward took up the knife, causing Aragorn to flinch involuntarily. With a swift movement, Faramir severed the cord securing Aragorn’s robe. “ Cast off the man of old, become the King anew!” Faramir cried as the garment fell to the floor.

The Steward then went outside to join the women. The King hurriedly drew on his drawers, embroidered by Arwen with the White Tree, to cover his nakedness, and then reached for his shirt. He discovered that Arwen had made him a sleeveless undershirt from one of her silk nightgowns. He smiled at her thoughtfulness as he donned it next to his skin. He next donned the linen shirt and woollen breeches laid ready for him.

Aragorn made no protest when Arwen and Éowyn re-entered the room and slowly finished dressing him, blessing each garment in turn and evoking the protection of the Valar.

Faramir had lent a fine tunic made of dark wool, Damrod had provided his leather breastplate emblazoned with the white tree, while Arwen contributed one of her own cloaks made of black velvet and trimmed with ermine. The Queen fixed the Star of Elendil upon her husband’s brow, Éowyn pinned the Elessar on his breast. Finally the Queen knelt and girded Andúril at his waist. They stood back and surveyed their handiwork. Once again, Aragorn looked every inch the King that he rightfully was.

Faramir instinctively knelt in homage to his lord, offering his sword. He felt unworthy to speak the oath of Gondor and used instead a. Rohirric oath he had learned from his wife. “I Faramir, by my lord’s grace Steward of Gondor and Prince of Ithilien, do again pledge my self to become your liege man of life and limb; and faith and truth I will bear unto you, to live and die, against all manner of folks. May the Valar bear witness!”

“So may it be!” Aragorn replied.

Éowyn nodded to Elbeth and whispered in her ear. The little girl fetched the goblet of wine and offered it to the King. He took a draught. To conclude the ritual, the others drank from it too. Too overwhelmed to speak, Aragorn embraced his wife and then kissed Éowyn and Elbeth on the brow.

Arwen smiled bravely, struggling to conceal her anguish at the coming parting. She had seen Aragorn ride away to war many times before, but this felt far worse. Although she concealed it, the cruel marks he still bore on his body distressed her greatly.

“It is time we were leaving,” Aragorn said quietly, not wanting to prolong the misery of the farewells. He went to where his son was sleeping and kissed the soft cheek before laying a hand on Eldarion's head in blessing.

“I am ready to depart,” said Faramir.

“Wait one moment!” said Arwen, retreating to the bedroom and re emerging a moment later with a silk shirt identical to the one her husband was wearing.

“I have made this for you to wear today, Faramir,” she said.

“I thank you, my lady,” the Steward replied.

“And Bereth has agreed to give you her husband’s breastplate,” Éowyn added. ”Come, put them on!”

Faramir sighed, pulled off his tunic and started to put the silk shirt on, on top of the linen one, he was already wearing.

“No, next to your skin!” Éowyn insisted, “Go and change into it”

Faramir went to change accompanied by Éowyn, leaving Aragorn and Arwen alone together to make their farewells.

“Take care, beloved!” Arwen whispered, trying hard to maintain her composure. She wanted her husband’s last memory of her before he rode away, to be a happy one.

“Remember, if I do not return, to take Eldarion to safety. Éowyn and Damrod will be with you,” Aragorn instructed her.

“I could not live without you!” she choked, her composure faltering.

“You must! We have our son’s welfare to consider; promise me, vanimelda, that you will do as I say!” Aragorn begged her.

“I will try, my love, my hope. I beg you, though, to take care!” Arwen pleaded.

“I give you my word. I would reign again with you at my side. I hope I will be able to send you tidings by tomorrow sundown at the latest. Remember, if you hear nothing, go and seek help from Éomer. He will escort you safely to Rivendell.” Aragorn pulled his wife to him and kissed her fiercely. He felt almost as troubled as he had been before riding out to confront Sauron. Yet, he had returned from that seemingly hopeless mission. Maybe there was still hope. Then it had seemed absurd to face the might of Sauron with just a few thousand men. Yet, he had triumphed. Today he had only to face the rebel lords with Faramir at his side. 

“I wish you could stay here with me and Elestelle,” Éowyn said sadly, securing her husband’s breastplate.” Yet, if you did not have such a sense of loyalty and duty; you would not be the man I fell in love with! Keep both yourself and Aragorn safe. I know you will either return or die together! I only wish I could come with you both!”

“Take care of our daughter and the Queen if I do not return!” Faramir said gravely. “Dearest and best of wives, I bid you farewell!”

“Do not throw your life away rashly!” Éowyn pleaded. “I am certain that Aragorn still loves you deep in his heart. He will come to understand you acted as you did for his sake alone.”

Not trusting himself to speak, Faramir held her close. He tenderly kissed her and Elestelle. The babe regarded him solemnly from Éowyn's arms. Faramir turned resolutely from them and made his way outside.  

TBC

A/N I have taken the rituals from various parts of the world and my own imagination. Some of the words used in the anointing and Faramir’s oath, come from the coronation rituals used for the coronation of our Queen.

The reason that the anointing takes place under a canopy is because in the Middle Ages, the monarch would have been bare to the waist for the ritual. The canopy shielded them from the gaze of the public. It is retained now to emphasise the sacredness of the moment.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List