Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Dreamflower's Mathoms II  by Dreamflower

I owed a drabble to Slender Sail, for an icon she made for me, this was her request.

"Hobbits will do. I'd like serious, but since they are hobbits, it will be light in the end. Something about both the future and the far past... ?"

It ended up with the following 300 word fixed-length-ficlet:

“In Brandy Hall there were many works dealing with Eriador and the history of Rohan. Some of these were composed or begun by Meriadoc himself…” (FotR: Prologue: A Note on Shire Records)

Reckoning of Years

Merry put down his quill, removed his spectacles, and leaned back. He rolled his shoulders, remembering how Frodo used to do the same. Sighing, he stood and glanced out the window, wondering how often old Bilbo had done that when he occupied these very rooms. Even though Master Elrond had sailed years before, Rivendell was still the abode of Elves and the Valley of Imladris retained its beauty, if not its timelessness.

Merry had come in search of knowledge. So much of the history of the Shire was bound up with this place: Bilbo’s Adventure was tied up in it, and the heirs to the King had been sheltered here. The records of the Kings of Arnor were kept in this library: even the granting of the Shire to Marcho and Blanco by King Argeleb II was recorded in the leather-bound annals of Rivendell‘s library.

The Shire needed to know, to remember. It should not be forgotten there were important connections between the Shire and the Wide World. Merry worried; the hobbits of the Shire were only interested in their own back yards. They still called the places outside the borders the “Outlands”. What knowledge would be lost, when he and Pippin and Sam were gone? And if that knowledge was lost, what danger might follow? If the hobbits of the Shire should forget they had both enemies and allies beyond the Bounds, then King’s Edict or no, there could be peril.

But this gloomy trend of thought was interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Merry,” said Pippin, poking in his nose, “it’s time for elevenses! Lord Celeborn asked if we’d join him and Elladan and Elrohir in a picnic!”

Merry’s mood lightened instantly. He capped the ink, and said “I’m coming! I hope there are some strawberry tarts…”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List