Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Don't Panic!  by Boz4PM

Chapter 26 - “Sending Out An S.O.S.”


Penny made her excuses and left for her chambers. She slept little, though. While it was a relief in some ways to have said something at last, her fear that they would act upon what she had told them nearly consumed her.

Gandalf had told her to tell Elrond. He would not have done so unless he trusted Elrond implicitly not to act. Penny had to hold on to that. They had promised her they would not do anything.

Erestor was perfunctory with her and clearly preoccupied in her lesson the following morning. She did not blame him and knew it was not directed at her.

Halbarad came to watch her as she rode round the paddock, and she was pleased to see him. He puffed away on his pipe, nodding every now and then as she cantered, trotted and walked the horse, turning this way and that as Lindir directed her.

After only a little while Halbarad said something to Lindir, who nodded in response. Halbarad then disappeared up the path, returning a short while later astride his stallion. Lindir called for Penny to stop what she was doing and indicated Halbarad waiting patiently for her at the paddock gate.

“You will finish your lesson with Halbarad, Pen-ii. I will see you back at the stables.”

She nodded and made her way to join Halbarad, who turned his steed to lead her on the path that meandered down the valley.

She had done this a few times now with Lindir – left the paddock for a short, slow ride on horses through the trees – but this was the first time with anyone else. She was both pleased and nervous that it was Halbarad.

“Your riding is improving, Pen-ii. Well done. Admittedly it is easy enough with elvish trained horses, but even so, you are learning a useful skill and doing so well. I am impressed.”

She understood enough to realise he was complimenting her and murmured her thanks.

They continued in silence for a little while. She wondered if he was going to mention last night at all, or just try and pretend it had never happened. He must be thinking about it, now as preoccupied with it as she had been all this time.

He was murmuring something and shaking his head as if in disbelief. He looked at her. “That was quite something you told us last night, Pen-ii. I do not disbelieve you, but it was a lot to take in.” He shook his head once more as he muttered, “May Elbereth protect them all.”

She could guess what he was talking about.

He continued, “It is hard not to act on this. Very hard. Elrond had to do a lot of talking last night to stop Erestor and myself gathering people together to ride out there. I understand, but it breaks my heart not to defend my friends, to help them. I just hope they are safe. You said they are in Lothlorien now?”

She nodded.

“Well, that is something at least.”

Silence once more. Penny was not sure she was comfortable with all this, but she held her tongue.

He stopped the horse and looked at her. “Pen-ii? Will you tell Elrond about Boromir?”

She gasped slightly, managing to maintain her presence of mind enough to stop her horse also and glance back to him.

“I think you should. I think you should tell him everything you know. What you said last night - Moria, the wolves, the Balrog - that is only a small part, is it not? There is a lot more knowledge you have, a lot more - and a lot more evil, is that not so?”

She was staring at him, wide-eyed, understanding enough of what he was saying to know what he was asking her. She nodded slowly.

“Then tell him, Pen-ii. Tell him all you know. Even if you do it slowly, you must still tell him. It is too much for you, too difficult. He will understand, and better than you might think. Promise me, Pen-ii. Promise me you will tell Elrond everything.”

She nodded. “I will talk,” she said in Sindarin. “I will talk all I know. Not now. Soon maybe. Not now but I will talk, Halbarad.”

He nodded, his smile grim. “Good.” He started his horse walking once more and Penny joined him.

The long silence that followed was a brooding one, full of unspoken thoughts and questions.

To break the mood Halbarad turned to her, trying to sound bright and inconsequential in his tone. “Tell me about yourself, Pen-ii. I know little of you, of your family. Do you have brothers? Sisters?”

She smiled a little. “I have one brother only. He small. Smaller.”

Halbarad nodded, smiling also.

“My mother she work. I not live with my mother. I live alone.”

Halbarad raised his eyebrows a little. “You are not married?”

She shook her head, laughing. “No! No, no, no. Mithrandir he not told you?”

“No, he said nothing. So I take it you have had this conversation before?” He could see she hadn’t understood him. “You told Mithrandir this? About your family?”

She nodded. “A little.”

“And your father?”

Her face clouded then. Halbarad wondered what he had said to upset her.

“I not know my father.”

“He died? I am sorry, Penny.”

She repeated ‘died,’ not knowing the word. With hand gestures and explanations Halbarad made himself understood.

“Oh. No. He walked. My mother,” she made a sign to indicate a large stomach, “with my brother. Me, small. He left, went out of house. She not see him again.”

Halbarad stopped his horse. She did the same and saw his eyes were blazing in rage. “What? He left your mother pregnant and with a small child! What kind of man is this? Elbereth! I would gladly wring his neck!”

She was not quite sure what he had said, but she was very touched by the clear sentiment expressed and smiled sadly. “Long ago, Halbarad. Many years.”

He had started the horse walking again, but she could see he was still livid.

“What about you, Halbarad?” she said. Then in Sindarin, “You? Family?”

He nodded, smiling a little now. “Three sons.”

Penny smiled broadly. That pleased her, though she knew not why. She could see him as a father. “Really?” she beamed.

“They are quite full grown, Pen-ii. All older then you, though they look nearer your age, the youngest particularly.” He could see her brows were furrowed slightly as she tried to follow what he was saying. “All three big. Older than you.”

She grinned. “I bet they are.” In Sindarin she asked, “You, how many years, Halbarad?”

He grinned at her. “Ah, now that would be telling, Pen-ii.”

“I know you old man, Halbarad.”

He laughed out loud at that.

“Sixty? Seventy? Same as Aragorn maybe?”

He smirked at her. “No, Pen-ii. Aragorn is an old man.”

She giggled.

“Almost seventy.”

She nodded. So she had been right, then. Old enough to be her grandfather. She looked at him, at how he looked little more than forty if not less. So bloody strange.

He could guess what she was thinking and laughed softly.

After they had gone a little further she said, “So you are married, Halbarad?” She repeated it in Sindarin, but as soon as she saw his face, she realised she had said the wrong thing. His jaw tightened and his face grew dark.

“She died, Pen-ii,” was all he said, his voice quiet suddenly.

“I’m... I’m sorry, Halbarad. Goheno nin. Saes. Goheno nin.”

“Please,” he held up his hand, trying to smile a little, “it’s perfectly all right, Pen-ii. You were not to know. It was a few years ago now. Do not concern yourself.”

They talked little after that, but they had a pleasant ride nonetheless. Halbarad even took her to some more open ground where she could trot and then canter a little, which she enjoyed. He seemed pleased by her progress, which helped to break the mood once more.

After they had taken the horses back to the stables and then had lunch, Halbarad was explaining he needed to leave once more.

“But you’ve only just got here! You can’t, Halbarad, please!”

He understood her well enough.

“Pen-ii, I came just to see how you were coping, how you were. Otherwise I would not be here at all. I am needed, out there.” He pointed out towards the entrance to the valley. “Many wolves, Pen-ii.” He knew she knew the word now. “Many wolves, and worse. You know the work I do, that all the Dúnedain do. I know you understand. I must go.”

She nodded and tried not to sound like a sulky little girl. “I know, but it’s not fair. You haven’t even been here hardly two minutes, and you’re rushing off again.”

“Much work to be done, Pen-ii. Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir are not here either. Many other ellyn also are out there, protecting Imladris, helping the Dúnedain. We cannot afford to sit by and let the wolves attack or congregate in big numbers. I have to go. My sons are out there also. What father would I be to them if I let them work alone?”

He smiled, hoping she had understood him. She had. She returned his smile.

“I know. Forgive me. You go. Go help your sons.”

He nodded.

“Will you come and help me saddle up? You are now an expert!” he grinned at her.

She had no idea what he had just said, other than asking her to help with his horse. She suspected the rest was a joke at her expense, so she stuck her tongue out at him, making him laugh.

She was going to miss him.

She quickly shut that thought out of her head as they walked slowly across the snow to the stables.

Halbarad was pleased he had come to see her and pleased beyond measure she had finally spoken a little of what she knew, even if what she had had to say had shaken them terribly. He was glad also they had had their ride this morning. It had brought them a little closer, he felt. To learn of her father’s treatment of his family made him all the more determined to stand by her from now on. He had never had a daughter. He smiled sadly.

Penny was crossing the yard, leading his horse to him. He was delighted by the progress she had made with her riding and horses in general. He remembered how terrified and skittish she had been around his own when they had first met.

Elbereth, that seemed so long ago now. She had changed utterly. He much preferred this Pen-ii, and not just because she was no longer screaming and cursing at him. She seemed more relaxed, more herself, more rounded as a personality. He wondered if she was not, in fact, different from the woman she would be back home. He suspected so.

He mounted quickly and turned the horse to face the path out of the yard. He held out his hand to her. “I will return when I can, I promise. You remember the promise you made to me, Pen-ii: tell Elrond. Talk to him. Remember?”

She nodded. “I will, Halbarad.”

He smiled, squeezed her hand and murmured, “Navaer.”

She returned his farewell and watched him leave.

A little over two weeks later, he was back and Elladan was with him. Halbarad was a little concerned she still had not talked to Elrond in that time, and told her so, in front of Elrond and his son. She was a little peeved.

“In my own time, Halbarad, don’t push me!” She switched to Sindarin. “Not now. After Galadhrim come. Not before. Nothing to tell. They all in Lothlorien now. They stop there one month. Do not make me speak when I do not want to.”

Halbarad nodded, but she could see he was still worried. “Honestly, Halbarad, I am fine. Really. I promised you I would talk to Lord Elrond, and I will.”

“If she promised you, Halbarad, leave it at that. Do not push her or we may never know,” Lord Elrond said to him quietly.

The next day at breakfast, Penny’s heart leapt to her mouth when she saw two blond elves eating with the rest. She let her gaze flick up towards them time and again. Bilbo dug her in the ribs, swallowing a mouth full of bread and jam as he pointed the butter-knife at them and mumbled, “Galadhrim. From Lothlorien.”

She had not needed Bilbo to tell her. She had already guessed.

Like the scouts who came back every now and then, they looked dishevelled and a little dirty, but their hair, as ever, was well combed. She giggled a little, in spite of herself. At Bilbo’s raised eyebrow she said, “Always ellyn nice hair. Neat. Even after long travel, neat hair.”

Bilbo chuckled and nodded. When he had finally swallowed his mouthful he flapped his hand at her to hand over her Sindarin reader, and then he started to test her in advance of her lesson.

She wondered if the lesson might be cancelled, though, and she arrived at Erestor’s study to find he was leaving as she had suspected. She knew where he was going.

“Forgive me, Pen-ii. No lesson today. As you are no doubt aware, Galadhrim have arrived, as you told us they would. They will have news, and I must go.”

She nodded. “Yes, Erestor.”

As she stood to one side to let him past her she touched his arm and he turned to her.

“Yes, Pen-ii?”

“Erestor...” She hesitated.

“What is it?” His voice showed his concern as he saw the anxiety on her face.

“Erestor, the Galadhrim... They will say... they will have big knowledge. Forgive me I not say before. Maybe you will understand why when you listen. I not wanted you to listen that knowledge from me. Better from them. Forgive me.”

Erestor looked at her, his brows furrowed even more deeply. She had said to them there was more that she knew and she had refused to say what it would be, that Galadhrim would come and tell them instead. It was clearly quite serious, though, judging from her present demeanour. As serious as a Balrog? Perhaps more serious? Erestor was quite worried now.

He nodded at her. “Very well, Pen-ii. I shall hear what they have to say. I realise you made a decision not to tell us. Do not worry, I am sure you had your reasons. I will see you later, no doubt.” With that he left, marching down the corridor towards Elrond’s study.

She went to find Arwen and sat with her in a small antechamber doing some sewing. Arwen noticed she was quiet and knew it would be about whatever news the Galadhrim had brought.

An hour or so later there was a knock on the door. Elrond entered.

Arwen took one look at her father, at his pale face, eyes still bright with tears and his jaw clenched and she gasped a little.

“Father, what is it? What has happened?”

For a moment he could not speak. Then he looked straight at Penny, “I think Pen-ii could tell you better than I.” His voice was quiet, calm, but there was an edge to it that made Penny feel suddenly very nervous. “You knew, Pen-ii, did you not? You knew and you refused to tell us, to tell me. How could you? How could you keep something like that from me! Do you realise how much jeopardy you put them in! The entire quest is teetering on failure!”

Penny had not understood him, but she realised he was angry. She had not quite expected this reaction, but then she had not really thought through what reaction they would have. She had only known she did not want to be the one to tell them.

“Forgive me, Lord Elrond,” she whispered, her throat tight. “Forgive me, I thought better they tell you. Better you hear this from them, not me. This big knowledge. Not right that I tell you.”

“You stupid woman! Mithrandir is dead, and you are worrying about hurting my feelings! Elbereth, Pen-ii!”

Arwen was white with shock. “What! Mithrandir...!” She turned to Penny. “You knew?”

Penny nodded, close to tears now. “Balrog. He fight Balrog. Balrog fall at bridge, but pull Mithrandir also.”

“And he died, Pen-ii!” Elrond was a little calmer, but his eyes still flashed. “Now there are decisions to be made. I thank Eru we had Halbarad here when we found out about this. You should have told us.”

Before Penny could say a word he had stormed back out of the room.

There was a brief silence filled with the sound of Arwen’s quiet sobs.

“Why did you not tell him?” Arwen said quietly at last, not able to look at Penny.

“He is not dead.”

Arwen stared at her through her tears. “What?”

“He dies. Then he lives. He returns. I knew it was big knowledge, but not what you believe. He will come back.”

Arwen’s mouth was open in astonishment. Then she recovered herself. “You must tell him, Pen-ii. You must tell him this.”

“I think he should choose his action first, Lady Arwen.”

Arwen stopped, looking at her. “Something will be decided because of this? A decision will be made?”

Penny nodded.

“That’s why you said nothing. You did not want that decision changed, nor when it took place. I understand. I still think you need to tell them this. Come, come with me, and we will see what they have decided. They have been there some time already. It may be they know what they will do already.”

Penny reluctantly took the hand Arwen was holding out to her and let her lead her to Elrond’s study chamber. As they neared it they passed by the two Galadhrim, clearly having just left there. They bowed to Arwen, obviously recognising her, and greeted Penny also before hurrying off. Both had looked very uncomfortable, as anyone who has had to relay terrible news would do.

Arwen knocked and there was a brief silence before they heard Elrond say, “Come in.”

As they entered Penny could feel the atmosphere directed towards her.

Elrond’s eyes were narrowed as he sat behind his desk. To one side stood Erestor, his face pale and his jaw tight, and upon seeing Penny he shook his head sadly as if disappointed in her. Halbarad looked furious, but he alone looked at Penny with some compassion in his eyes. Elladan’s eyes were still wet with tears, and there were tracks on his cheeks where one or two had fallen. He positively glared at Penny as she came towards them.

“Has a decision been made as to what you will do in the light of this new information?” Arwen’s voice was surprisingly calm and the males looked in wonder at her.

“We believe so. The request from Lothlorien is very clear. We have no other options, I do not think, bar that one,” answered Elrond.

Arwen turned to Penny. “Tell them,” she said kindly.

All eyes focused on Penny. She swallowed.

“Mithrandir is not dead.”

Gasps and murmurs.

“Pen-ii, I can assure you he is,” said Erestor quietly. “One of the Galadhrim spoke with Aragorn and Legolas. They saw him fall. He fell in Moria.”

“I know, my lord, but Mithrandir not die when he fell.”

Elrond looked at Penny levelly. “Go on, Pen-ii. Tell us what you know and chose to keep from us till now.”

“Balrog and Mithrandir fight while fall. Sword,” she said for good measure, “Glamdring.” They nodded. “Into water. Balrog not Balrog now. Now like snake.” It was the nearest thing she could think of though it was not strictly accurate. “Balrog and Mithrandir down under mountains. They fight. Many evil things under mountains. Balrog and Mithrandir climb stairs up mountains. Still they fight. On top of mountain, Balrog died.”

They understood and nodded.

“That’s why she stopped us sending people after them to deal with this,” said Halbarad quietly.

“Mithrandir he... he... died... on top mountain.”

Everyone stiffened slightly. Some let their heads drop in grief and disbelief. Elrond sat silent and stony faced.

“Mithrandir,” she made a motion moving away with her hand. “Went not to Valinor, beyond Valinor. Eru maybe.”

Elrond’s eyes were wide with astonishment and all the others were looking at her.

Elladan was murmuring. “Eru? Eru Himself? It’s not possible that she could know that...”

“‘Not you finished Mithrandir. You go back.’” She made another ‘going’ motion with her hand. “Mithrandir he returned.” She made a beckoning or returning motion with her hand.

She was not sure they were following her, though they must have guessed some of it, judging by their open mouths and bewildered faces.

“Pen-ii, what are you saying?” Elrond could barely form the words.

“Mithrandir not grey now. Mithrandir white.”

They all looked at each other.

“Before Saruman white. Today, tomorrow Mithrandir white.”

They had understood her correctly.

“White? Mithrandir will be the White? The head of his order?” Elrond was asking her. She nodded.

None of them could quite get their heads round Mithrandir dying and coming back again.

Erestor shook his head, “Eru indeed moves in mysterious ways. This... this is...” Words utterly failed him at that point.

They looked stunned.

At last Elrond spoke, the astonishment clear in his tone of voice. “I feel I owe you an apology, Pen-ii. I understand why you did not tell us. Mithrandir will...” he hesitated before saying it since he could still scarcely believe it, “return.”

Penny nodded.

“He joins the eight at Lothlorien?”

“No. After they leave he comes to Lothlorien. The nine are not nine. The nine are now eight.”

Elrond’s face showed his concern.

“We have been asked to help, Pen-ii. And we shall help. If Mithrandir does not join them, then the request for help still stands.”

She nodded. “I not wanted to tell you before you decided. You have decided?” Penny was trying to maintain her composure.

“Yes, we have, Pen-ii. The Dúnedain will ride south, as many of them as can be mustered in the little time we have available to us. Elladan and Halbarad will leave now, as will as many scouts as we can spare. Then they will meet here in a week. We have to move fast. Time is precious.”

Penny surprised herself. She did not break down, nor feel an overwhelming urge to flee the room.

Instead she nodded and, murmuring apologies, she left with Arwen and then made her way to her chambers, where she sat for some time in absolute silence, staring out of her window at nothing in particular.

Elrond, however, had felt a tremor in her as he had said what their decision was. It was immediately clear that she had known what he would say, but just for a brief instant he had seen the deepest sadness in her eyes.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List