Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Pearl's Pearls  by Pearl Took

A Dragon in Buckland by Pearl Took
My Macguffin is “a benevolent dragon”...

My Macguffin is “a benevolent dragon”
Pippin is 15 (9 - 10) years old and Merry is 23 (about 14 1/2) years old.
Beta by Marigold and Llinos


A Dragon in Buckland


It had been a rather strange summer. Pippin was visiting the Hall. Not that his visiting the Hall was strange; it wasn’t. Not even that he was staying without the rest of his family as he had done that the year before. What was strange was that Merry seemed to have ended up with a lot of things to do and Pippin hadn’t minded as much has he had in the past.

Merry had more responsibilities around Brandy Hall than he had in summers before. His father, as had his father before him, felt the best way for a future Master of Buckland to learn what that title entailed was to see first hand how Buckland functioned. Merry was spending time this summer with Midoc Brandybuck, Brandy Hall’s Master Gardener, Arno Tillman, Brandy Hall’s Crops Overseer, and Ferdi Underhill, Brandy Hall’s Master Farrier.

As the Master’s son, Merry wasn’t required to actually do any of the work these hobbits did. He was there to observe and learn what these hobbits needed to do their jobs properly and to gain appreciation for their skills. But he was a “hands on” sort of lad. Merry had planted his own small vegetable, herb and flower gardens, learned to harness and drive plough ponies, and would, by summer’s end, have made a set of pony shoes. He was learning about the different herbs, he was learning proper planting and rotation of crops, he was learning proper hoof care and the diseases of pony hooves.

Pippin already knew a great deal of this, even though he was younger than Merry. He had grown up on a farm and had been expected to help out when and as needed, even though he was a young gentlehobbit.

This summer was different mostly because Pippin wasn’t being quite as much of a pest as he had before. Though he did insist on being with his favourite older cousin every evening, he seemed content to find other ways to occupy his time during the day. He was spending more time either exploring on his own or playing with the lads his own age.

Yet there was something else that was strange at Brandy Hall this summer.

The dragon.

Well, not a real dragon. Those were either all imaginary or lived so far away that they may as well be imaginary. No, these were small drawings of a dragon. A happy dragon, with a smile upon his scaly face.

The first had turned up upon a bouquet of flowers left at the door of an old Brandybuck auntie who had been ill with a bad chest cold. The small drawing was all there was to show who might have sent it. A smiling blueish-green dragon with the letters, S.S.B.D. written below his feet. Auntie Mirabella’s healer, who had found the bouquet, had told everyone she saw that day. They all told everyone they saw. By the day’s end practically everyone in Brandy Hall had heard about it.

The next drawing was tied to a poorly repaired faunt’s rocking chair that had broken. “I mended this as well as I could.” was written by the dragon’s mouth and S.S.B.D. was written below his feet.

Soon the small dragon was the talk of Brandy Hall. Lost items would reappear with the smiling dragon tied to them. Lonely children visiting the Hall would find a toy in their room and the dragon would have “Please bring me and this toy to the garden after luncheon.” added to the drawing. When they would go to the garden there would be children there. As soon as the picture of the dragon was spotted hanging from the toy, the children would want to hear how the recipient had received the toy and soon they were all playing together.

No matter what else might be written upon the small drawings, S.S.B.D. always appeared in red letters below the dragon’s scaly feet.

A strange summer indeed.

But the dragon was busy doing other things as well.

Ilberic Brandybuck wasn’t the nicest of lads. He took a great deal of pleasure in taunting younger children and pulling nasty tricks on them.

One day he had balanced a bucket of dirty straw from the stable so that it would fall all over his cousin Merimas when he came in through one of the Hall’s smaller entrances near Merimas’ family’s quarters. But nothing happened to Merimas. Instead Ilberic got a surprise when he came in the entrance he usually used, though this bucket held only tiny pieces of paper along with the drawing of the wee dragon. This time the usually smiling dragon wore a frown and small flames came from his nostrils. “You were being mean!” said the words by the dragon’s mouth. When two more of his naughtytricks were ruined with the little dragon left behind breathing fire at him, Ilberic was quite put out and determined he would find out all he could about the silly pictures.

Merry was also curious about the small blueish-green dragon, but he had a certain advantage . . . he recognized the writing on the small drawings.

“Mum,” he said late one evening as he stood in his mother’s private sitting room. “I think Pip is involved with the dragon notes.”

“Of course he is,” Esmeralda said without looking up from her embroidery. “I recognized his printing. I’m certain he used it because he didn’t think it would be as recognizable as his script. He has said nothing about it, so neither have I.”

Merry smiled. He was often glad his mother was a Took. One didn’t want to cross her, but she could be a good sport. “I want to follow him about tomorrow. See if I can find out what this is all about. Would you be willing to let Mr. Midoc know I won’t be in the garden?”

As Merry was spending time with the Master Gardener and the others as part of his training to become Master of Buckland, he would be in trouble with his father if he simply did not show up at his appointed times.

Esme looked carefully at her son. He had a serious look about him. He wasn’t suggesting this just to be free of his duties for the day. She smiled. “Of course, dear. You will be careful to not let Pippin know that you are watching him? It would upset him, I’m thinking, to have his secret found out.”

“He won’t know I’m around, I promise, Mum. I don’t want to ruin his fun.”

His mother nodded. “I’ve the feeling he has other lads involved as some days there have been a few too many of the wee dragons left about the Hall for him to have been everywhere himself. If I’m right, this is most likely making Pippin feel important and special. That is something he needs from time to time, what with being a small lad and always trying to be like you.”

Merry blushed. “I’ll be careful, Mum.” He gave her a quick hug than went to his room. He was going to have an adventure on the morrow.

***********

It was fairly easy for Merry to follow his young cousin; he had an idea where Pippin would be going. There was an old storage room that he and Pippin played in often that, as far as they knew, none of the other children in Brandy Hall bothered with. Merry was certain that was where Pippin would be having his meetings, if there were indeed other lads involved with the dragon drawings.

Pippin ate his first breakfast hurriedly, as he usually did, then asked to be excused. But instead of going to the storeroom, he entered Merry’s father’s study. Merry’s father had been having a busy summer as well. The Master of Buckland, Merry’s grandfather Rorimac, had not been well and his son, Saradoc, had been performing the Master’s duties.

Pippin didn’t close the door tightly behind himself so Merry watched around the edge of the door as the lad went quickly and silently up to his uncle’s desk, set something down upon it, then turned to leave. Merry just managed to hide behind the door of the room across the hall before Pippin came out of Saradoc’s office and scampered off. Merry took a few moments to go and look at what Pippin had left on his father’s desk. It was, as he expected, the little blueish-green dragon. The words by his smiling mouth read: “You are a good son. Thank you for helping The Master.” Merry smiled then ran out to follow Pippin.

He did indeed go to the old storeroom. And, as Merry watched from behind a door diagonally across the hall, four other youngsters slipped into the room. Moro and Myrtle Burrows, who were visiting the Hall for the summer, and Doderic and Celandine Brandybuck, Ilberic’s older brother and younger sister. Moro and Myrtle were both younger than Pippin, as was Celandine. Doderic was two years older but had joined the group when he found out they were having success at foiling most of his younger brother’s mean tricks. Since the group was Pippin’s idea to begin with, Doderic was content to let the younger lad be the leader.

Merry crept silently up to the door and put his eye to the keyhole.

Pippin stood behind a crate that had been set on end. “I call to order this meeting of The Secret Society of the Benevolent Dragon.” Peregrin intoned. “Please stand as we repeat our pledge.”

Merry smiled. He now knew what the letters at the bottom of the drawings stood for. The small group rose as Pippin held up something Merry recognized but hadn’t seen for a few years. It was a black stone, about the size and shape of a dinner plate.

“We pledge to be like the Benevolent Dragon who saved the Faerie Folk long, long ago. We will help hobbits who need help. We will cheer hobbits who need cheer. We will protect hobbits who need protection. We will be Benevolent Dragons.”

Merry smiled indulgently at what his little cousin was saying. It was an old tale his mother had told them both, him first and then Pip starting when he was a faunt. How a dragon had helped save the lives of a faerie clan when goblins had kept attacking them in their forest home. In the end the dragon died and the Valar turned him into a constellation to forever shine upon the faerie clan. The best part of the story had been the stone, which Merry’s mum had told them in a most serious manner, was a scale from that dragon that had fallen to earth near the farm in Whitwell where Pippin lived. Merry had not believed the story since he was about the same age Pip was now, and had lost track of the stone shortly after that. It was so like his very Tookish cousin to still believe the tale.**

The young Hobbit Dragons sat down.

“I delivered an encouraging Dragon to my Uncle Saradoc this morning,” Pippin informed the group. They all nodded.

“He has been working very hard the last few months,” Doderic said.

Moro asked, “How is Master Rory, Pippin?”

“I went to see him for a few minutes yesterday. He said he is feeling much better and hopes to be up and about in a fortnight. I looked at his healer and he nodded, so I think Uncle Saradoc will return to his usual tasks soon.”

“Did Master Rory say anything about the Dragon I left for him?” Celandine asked.

“No, Celli, but it was leaning against the base of the lamp on his bedside table.”

The lass smiled happily. All the children who lived in Brandy Hall liked Master Rory.

They talked of others to whom they have given a Dragon, and of the things they had done for the person if they had needed more than just the Dragon’s smile and words of encouragement. They discussed what Dragons they needed for that day and Pippin made the necessary additions to five dragon drawings before handing them out. Then Pippin made an announcement.

“It is supposed to be clear outside tonight with the moon rising late. We will meet where we met last month to say our official thank you to the Benevolent Dragon. Meet at ten minutes to midnight tonight.”

Merry ducked back into the diagonal room as the small group ended their meeting. Midnight was late for these youngsters to be out stargazing, but Merry knew that was part of the fun. He felt incredibly proud of Peregrin. The lad had found a task where his age and small size made no difference. He was being a good leader and the group had made this summer more pleasant for many of the hobbits of Brandy Hall. In fact, Merry decided that since his mother had been willing to let him discover who and what was behind the dragon drawings, he would use the rest of his free day to help her in whatever way he could. He would be a Benevolent Dragon today and go out to thank the Dragon tonight. His mum would be happy to hear how Pip had thought of the idea for the group.
*************

It was nearly ten to twelve when Merry made his way along the west side of Buck Hill. A flight of long, low steps had been dug into the turf at the northern end of that side of the hill to make it a bit easier to climb should any of the many chimney pots of Brandy Hall need cleaning or repair. Even though the hilltop was broad and rather level, not many hobbits liked to go up there, as Buck Hill was very high. It was, however, an excellent place for stargazing.

A stirring in the small hedge near the foot of the stairs brought Merry up short.

“You so much as twitch and I’ll make you regret it.” Merry heard a hissing voice exclaim.

As carefully as he could Merry went close to the south side of the hedge. At the bottom of the steps Doderic, Celandine, Moro and Myrtle were sitting on the ground. Ilberic and his friends stood over them. Ilberic was one of those who somehow manage to be in charge even though they don’t look the type. Ilberic used his pocket money, which was more than Merry’s own, to buy the loyalty of some of the rougher lads of the Hall and Bucklebury. Lads who were bigger and older than Ilberic’s own older brother, Doderic.

“Now we’ll just wait for Pip the Twit to show up and the fun will really begin,” Ilberic said. His was the hissing voice Merry had first heard.

“Whatever made him think he would keep getting away with ruining my little tricks, I’ll never know. But it’s over now. I’ll dangle the pest by his ankles over the nearest tree branch.” His voice made Merry shiver as he added, “Thank you for telling me all about your stupid club, Celandine.”

The poor little lass was huddled up against her oldest brother and quivering in fear. Merry was sure she had been forced into revealing the truth about the dragon drawings.

“What’s keeping your leader?” Ilberic hissed as he looked about for Pippin.

It was then that several things happened at once.

The moon crested the edge of Buck Hill. As it did so it shone upon Ilberic's face which bore a look of terror as he speechlessly pointed towards the distant top of the stairs. His friends shouted, “It’s the dragon!” and ran as fast as they could towards the line of trees that were about one hundred yards away to the north.

Merry looked up. There, framed against the rising moon was a dragon. It spread it’s blueish-green translucent wings and a tongue of flame danced from it’s mouth. Merry looked after Ilberic’s friends, running for the cover of the trees, but his eyes were drawn to the sky. Was it his imagination or was the star that was the dragon’s eye shining much brighter than usual?

“You’ve wet yourself, Ilbe!” Merry heard Celandine say as she giggled and Ilberic ran off in the same direction his friends had taken.

Ilberic and his friends never told anyone about the dragon group lest it also be found out they had run like frightened rabbits, and that Ilberic had wet himself in his terror.

Merry watched until he too had disappeared into the trees, then he turned back to look at the dragon on top of Buck Hill, but it had gone.

“What’s going on here? You were late so I came looking for you,” Pippin said. He stood by the hedge, short of breath and puffing. He had on a funny old hat that stuck out in the front and one of Merry’s mum’s shawls thrown over his shoulders. He was carrying a small torch.

“Did you see the Dragon, Pippin?” asked Moro.

“The Dragon?”

“He was on top of the Hill!” Celli said, excitedly pointing up the steps.

“Really? Where?” Pip turned around to look. “I didn’t see him.”

“I saw him too,” Merry said as he stepped out from behind the hedge.

“Merry!” the group all said at once.

“What are you doing here?” asked Doderic.

“I came out to stargaze. What are you all doing out this late?”

The younger hobbits all answered at once.

“The same.”

“Yes, stargazing, Merry.”

“We’ll see you later. Good night, Merry. Pippin.”

“Good night everyone!”

And with that they scattered, leaving only Merry and Pippin standing in the moonlight by the stairs.

“You saw the Dragon, Merry?” Pippin whispered.

Pippin held his torch up to better see his cousin’s face. As he did so, Merry could see the moonlight through the shawl. Translucent blueish-green it shone, and stretched out like a dragon’s wing. He realized the hat had looked like a dragon’s snout and the flame had been the torch Pippin carried. With the moon behind him and holding the torch out, it hadn’t lit his face well enough for it to be seen.

But the dragon on the hilltop had looked huge. Even with the moon behind him and all of them looking up at him, Pippin shouldn’t have looked so big.

“Merry? Did you really see the Dragon?” Pippin’s asked anxiously.

Merry looked back to the northern sky. The Eye of the Dragon seemed to wink at him.

“Yes, Pippin. I really did see the Dragon. Shall we go up and do some stargazing while you tell me what is going on?”

“I’ll tell you if we go in and have a mug of your mum’s spiced tea and a scone or two. I’m suddenly feeling awfully hungry, Merry.”

“Spiced tea and scones sounds wonderful, Pip,” Merry said as he draped an arm around his cousin’s shoulders. They slowly walked towards the entrance to Merry’s family’s apartments. “Now, Peregrin Took. What do you know about the dragon drawings that have been showing up all over the Hall, and why haven’t I been given one?”

Finis






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List