Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Burden of Guilt  by Linda Hoyland

The events in this story take place a few months after the events in “Shadow and Thought”. Aragorn and Faramir have become close friends, Faramir and Éowyn are now happily married and Aragorn and Arwen are expecting a child.
The story concentrates mainly on Aragorn and Faramir but also features Arwen, Éowyn and Eomer and to a lesser degree Legolas, Gimli, Ioreth, Imrahil and Damrod.

 
With grateful thanks to everyone who made helpful suggestions and helped this story to develop when it was on another site in a less polished version.An especial thank you to Laerien, Lily, Raksha, Elenhin, Larner, Stoneage Woman, Patty, Lilian, Ithil-Valon, Quickbeam and Julia for your helpful suggestions and support.

Burden of Guilt

The King and the Steward

August Year 1 of the Fourth Age

The Council chamber in Minas Tirith.

The Council Chamber had recently become known for heated debates. King Aragorn Elessar, though firm in his decisions, always encouraged his Council to have their say before pronouncing his final judgement upon a matter.

It had taken the Lords of Gondor some time to become accustomed to the new regime. Lord Denethor; the Last Ruling Steward had strongly discouraged discussion, especially in the latter years of his rule.

Today, the debate had become surprisingly heated when Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth had raised the matter of the celebrations to follow the impending birth of a child and heir to the King and Queen

“How do we even know that a human and an elf are able to produce offspring? ” argued the young Lord of Lossarnach.

Aragorn’s eyes flashed dangerously although he remained outwardly calm. “My own existence is proof, as Lúthien the Fair was my ancestress, ”he replied.

“But that is so long ago, the story could be but a myth!” the Lord of Lossarnach refused to be silenced.

“I trust you are not making accusations against my Queen’s virtue.” Aragorn’s voice was icy.

“None of us would, my Lord King, but how can we know that the child is your true heir and has not been smuggled into the Queen’s bedchamber?” The Lord of Lamedon rose to his feet and joined in the argument.

“That is absurd!“ Prince Imrahil said sternly. ”Not only are you questioning the honour of our Sovereign, but you also forget that under the ancient laws of Gondor, during the Queen’s confinement, no one may enter her apartments on pain of death!”

“We know that.” This time, the Lord of Lebennin was on his feet. “Yet a babe could still be smuggled in, prior to the confinement!”

The other Lords all started to argue loudly about this possibility.

Aragorn, usually good-natured, was by now white with barely suppressed fury, his hand reaching for his sword hilt.

Faramir, Prince of Ilithien and Steward of Gondor, leapt to his feet. “Silence, my lords!” he thundered.

They immediately fell silent. Faramir, once the most quiet and self effacing of the Council, had grown increasingly in confidence over the last few months and now was a force to be reckoned with, second only to the King himself.

“Cease this bickering over what should be a joyous event! ” Faramir said sternly. “The birth of the heir to the throne should be witnessed, then no man might question the babe’s legitimacy.”

The Council murmured their assent.

“Well, spoken, Lord Faramir .I would ask no further questions were that so.” the Lord of Lossarnach said. ”I am certain the other Lords would be of the same mind.”

“How dare you make such a suggestion, Lord Faramir, I would not have my Queen subjected to such humiliation! No man save myself shall ever enter her bedchamber at any time. The birth of our child shall be attended solely by her ladies and midwives! The dignity of my wife is sacrosanct.” Aragorn advanced towards Faramir, his eyes blazing, his voice like thunder.

A lesser man than Faramir would have quailed, yet the Steward calmly held his ground.

“I completely agree my liege,” he said, meeting Aragorn’s eyes without flinching. “I therefore propose that my wife, the Lady Éowyn, Princess of Ilithien, be present at the birth.”

Aragorn’s tense features relaxed into a smile.” I believe that would be acceptable to both the Queen and myself,” he said. “Does the Council agree?”

“That is a good choice,” said the Lord of Lossarnach. ”We all know, that should the King die without an heir, that the rule of Gondor would revert to Lord Faramir and his heirs, so who better to bear witness than the Steward’s wife?”

No voice was raised in dissent and as no one raised any other matters to be dealt with, the Council was dismissed. 

Faramir and Aragorn left the Council Chamber and together walked back to the Citadel for luncheon.

Faramir had never been as contented, as during these last few months. For the first time in his life he felt confident, loved and secure, in both his public and private life.

In public, he bore his responsibilities well and had the respect of his peers, while in private he basked in the love and approval of his wife and his King. Now to make his happiness complete, so it seemed, Éowyn was with child, and he hoped to become a father sometime in mid winter.

The King had over the past months healed his old hurts. Aragorn had become as a father, giving him in abundance, the love and approval that Denethor had always denied. 

Aragorn was happy too; Gondor was finally at peace, he was happily married to the woman of his dreams and looking forward to the birth of his heir. He was enjoying seeing Faramir blossom, from the almost broken man he had first met, into a confident Steward of Gondor and much loved friend.

The ordeal they had both suffered a few months before had served to forge a very deep and loving bond of true friendship between them. Faramir had always loved his King, but had been too nervous to truly enjoy his company before.

I surprised you then, Aragorn, I wish you could have seen the look on your face!” Faramir laughed.

Aragorn jostled him playfully. “Were you not afraid I would cut off your head, my wily Steward?”

“I had to be convincing. You should know that by now!” Faramir retorted in mock indignation. ”We had no idea the Council would have such strange notions about the baby’s parentage. As they had no idea that Arwen had requested Éowyn to be present, that seemed a good way to appear to satisfy them!” 

“You were born to be a politician, Faramir!” Aragorn said; delighted at the confidence his Steward now displayed. “Whatever would I do without you?”

“I have no plans to go anywhere.” Faramir replied, “I promised at the Hunting Lodge not to leave you and I meant it!”

“I am glad to hear that!” Aragorn replied, cuffing him playfully, “You and I we need each other if the Council is not to drive us mad!”

The two men worked together well and would often appear to oppose each other in order to get what they needed from the sometimes stubborn lords who sat on the Council. As few knew the depth of their friendship, the tactic usually worked to their mutual advantage.

They had now reached the Royal Apartments. Faramir was about to leave him to go to his own rooms when the King enquired ” Would you like to go swimming this afternoon with Legolas, Gimli and myself while the weather is so fine?”

Faramir hesitated; he enjoyed swimming but had only ever done so alone with Boromir. Although he felt much more confident, now that his scars had faded, he was uncomfortable at the idea of removing all his clothing in front of others.

Aragorn, guessing the reason for his hesitation, added. ”I know of a pleasant secluded spot and there is no need to disrobe completely. Given the positions we hold we have to be careful how we are seen.”

Faramir smiled, amused that the other could read him so well. “I think I will then, thank you. It will be pleasant to relax for a while, away from all the paperwork. My new secretary insists on tidying everything away, which means it takes twice as long to find whatever I am working on!”

Aragorn smiled ruefully. “Why are good secretaries, or rather secretaries that suit us, so hard to find?  I am glad you will come with us this afternoon. The water should be most refreshing at this time of year.” The King clapped Faramir on the shoulder, adding ”Later, Arwen and I would be delighted if you and Éowyn would dine with us? ” 

“We will be pleased to, ” Faramir replied, taking leave of the King. He hummed contentedly to himself as he went in search of his wife. 

Warning –Like “Shadow and Thought”, this story will be very dark with angst, torture, violence, childbirth and injuries, so please only read if you enjoy this genre and are not disturbed by it .The first 10 chapters though are light hearted and the “R” rating applies only from Chapter 11 onwards. There will be a great deal of both physical and emotional pain involved for some of the characters.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List