Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

Yule 1436 SR

The stairs inside the Tower of Avallonë were made for Elves and were much too high and steep for an elderly hobbit. Bilbo had swallowed his pride and accepted the offer of aid, and now he rode on the shoulders of his old friend as they ascended. He remembered riding thus with old Isengar in the fields round Tuckborough, and chuckled.

        "My ears are not for steering, Bilbo Baggins!" the Maia groused.

        Bilbo smirked. "Really, Gandalf? And here's me thinking they're just perfect for steering," he said innocently.

        Giggles drifted up from the couple climbing behind them. The Lady Celebrian and her husband were often amused by the relationship between the hobbit and Olorin in his favourite incarnation as Gandalf.

        "Hobbits!" Gandalf muttered. "Scamps, the whole lot of them!"

       The Tower was of smooth white marble, veined with pale pink transluscent as mother of pearl. It glowed warmly in the light of Arien's chariot but under the light of moon and stars it was piercing in its cold beauty. The great staircase was of the same marble, with a balustrde of finely wrought metal flowers and ears of wheat which rustled with each small vibrarion. At the top was a circular room with windows of coloured glass which made exquisite patterns on the floor. They told the story of the Elven kindreds from their awakening in Cuiviénen, their journey to the sea and the crossing to the West. Here were Ingwe, Finwe, Olwe and Elwe, with Elwe's meeting with Melian clearly depicted. She looked very much like Arwen, and Bilbo thought how bitter-sweet this must be for Elrond and his wife to see their daughter from afar, knowing they would not meet again. At least he knew he would meet his dear lad one day.

       He was aware that being allowed to peep at Middle-earth was a very special honour and a privilege. Gandalf had not told him such a thing was possible for a long time, afraid that the sight of Frodo ill and fading would distress the old hobbit too much. Only when the lad's recovery was assured was he allowed to see the new-found joy at Bag End, which delighted him more than anything else in his long life.

       The Lady Galadriel waited to greet them when they finally arrived in the chamber at the top of the tower. She was not alone: a golden haired male Elf stood beside her, clearly a relation and one of the most noble of the Eldar.

       "Bilbo Baggins at your service, and your family's, my lord." The old hobbit bowed as soon as Gandalf set him on his feet.

       "Greetings, Master Baggins. It has long been my wish to meet you."

       "Bilbo, may I present my brother, Finrod." Galadriel smiled fondly at her brother.

       "Then I am even more conscious of the honour of meeting you, my lord Finrod. Your deeds are still famous in Middle-earth and I heard much of you from Lord Glorfindel during my time in Rivendell."

       "I have been wary of gazing at Middle-earth - afraid of how changed it must be. Beleriand lies beneath the waves and the world itself is not as it once was. So much has changed for the worse I fear. Yet Morgoth and Sauron are both gone, and that can only be a good thing. I therefore asked my sister and my good friend Olorin if it might be possible to have a look at these most noble of Earendil's descendants on the other side of the Sundering Sea. I am also curious to see this kinsman of yours and his friend, who braved such horrors to free Middle-earth of the most powerful of Morgoth's servants."

       "Finest hobbit in the Shire - I always said so, didn't I, Gandalf?"

       "You did indeed, old friend." The Maia raised his hand and held it over the great glass globe which sat atop a marble pillar. Light grew inside the palantir and then the view cleared to show the wide ocean with leaping dolphins, breaching whales and soaring sea birds. All those present gazed in wonder and some awe at the marvels in Lord Ulmo's realm.

       The Grey Havens, the Tower Hills and the gentle rolling slopes of Tuckborough were passed before the view paused at the Party Field below Bag End.

       "Not at Great Smials then." Bilbo grunted. "Now where's that lad of mine?"

                                                                             ************

       The Party Field was full of activity. The Yule Bonfire had consumed the lists of troubles and was warming the assembled hobbits as they dined. Mr and Mrs Cotton, both getting on in years, were content to watch their children serving food. Farmer Cotton smiled his thanks as Jolly filled his mug with more mulled ale. Tully Noakes stood watching the flames, tankard in one hand, his other arm around his wife. Ivy shifted the weight of the faunt balanced on her hip, then lowered the impatient child to the ground, where he ran to join his half-sister Violet. Little Denny had been a surprise addition to the family, prompting some ribald comments and jokes about 'life in the old dog yet' at Bywater's inns. Tully merely accepted the congratulations and brushed off comments about his age with the retort "...doesn't matter if there's snow on the roof, so long as there's a fire in the grate!"

       Of the Bag End family there was no sign.

       The view changed again. Bilbo supposed the family must be at Brandy Hall for Yule but the palantir directed their gaze north, not east. Here was snow and pine trees, and a vast lake, deep and cold, glittering under the light of moon and stars. To the west stood a great sweep of hills. On its northern shore was a dark cluster of tall pines, and on the southern shore stood a great fairytale palace with towers and turrets. Guards watched from its outer walls and in the courtyard more men warmed themselves round glowing braziers. In an area near the extensive gardens one part of the palace looked very different - low, one-storeyed buildings with round doors and windows looking out onto a secluded garden with a bird table and bird bath.

       "Estel has re-built Annúminas," murmured Elrond. "How wonderful!"

       "And he's added a wing for hobbits," chuckled Bilbo. "Delightful!"

      Gandalf smiled. "If I know Aragorn he will have made sure there is a hobbit kitchen too!"

                                                                             ************

       The view shifted back in time a little, to show the same courtyard in daylight, earlier in the afternoon. Two adult hobbits were engaged in a snowball fight with three Elves while an Elf, a Dwarf and another hobbit watched indulgently, clearly shouting encouragement and laughing. Bilbo sighed happily as he reassured himself of his lad's health and happiness; Frodo was preparing ammunition for his cousins to hurl at the Twins and Glorfindel and although he was bundled up against the cold he was obviously enjoying himself. Finrod shook his head and laughed at the sight of the golden-haired balrog-slayer under attack from a couple of impudent hobbits.

       Frodo pushed his scarf back. Moments later a sturdy hobbit tapped on the window and gestured to him to wrap up again. Gandalf smiled.

       "I see Sam is as solicitous as ever."

       Sam was holding a mixing bowl and was plainly busy in the kitchen of the hobbits' quarters. He grinned when Frodo made a face. A little later he opened the window and handed out steaming mugs of hot chocolate to all the combatants. They were soon joined by various children of Men and hobbits, who ran off to build snow figures and hold their own snowballing contest.

       In the hobbit nursery Rose, Estella and Diamond nursed the latest additions to their families - Bilbo, Simbelmynë and Niphredil - while three young hobbit nurserymaids bustled about, undressing and bathing the toddlers and faunts and preparing them for bed. One of the lasses was Lily Sandyman, who was transformed from the timid lass she had been during her father's lifetime. She had formed fast friendships with the lasses from Brandy Hall and Great Smials and was blossoming in confidence.

       The little ones assembled to bid their mothers 'good-night' before having a light supper and a story with their nurses. Athelas Took, Frodoric Brandybuck, Gamgee twins Hamfast and Daisy and little Primrose were all rosy-cheeked and growing fast.

       In the King's great sitting-room there was much activity. Tarondor, Steward of Arnor and Glorfindel were making a very large quantity of punch in a bowl big enough to bathe a hobbit child. The silver bowl with a dozen cups hanging round the rim and a ladle with a pearl swan's-head handle was a gift from King Thranduil and was very useful on such occasions.

       "A little more orange juice I think," Glorfindel murmured. "And just a touch more cinnamon."

       Tarondor squeezed another orange and stirred the mixture while Glorfindel went to the fire and heated the poker before plunging it into the mixture, which bubbled and seethed.

       Unaware of those watching from the other side of the Sundering Sea, the lady Miriel was busy supervising Legolas and the Twins as they suspended a great rope of ivy and holly along one wall. Gimli was busy at one of the great hearths, turning potatoes and chestnuts in the embers beneath the grate. Two huge Yule logs blazed in the hearths, filling the room with the smells of juniper, pine and applewood.

       Sam pattered in with a basket full of his herb and onion bread, to go with the soup. Merry and Pippin followed, carrying the children's plain fruit punch and a dish of pasties. Rose, Diamond and Estella brought sausages wrapped in bacon (known in the Shire as pigs in blankets), roast chicken and a boiled ham.

       On the other side of the Sea, Celebrian gasped as the children tumbled in - Eldarion, fourteen years old, tall and handsome, accompanied by his cousin and friend Halbarad, son to Tarondor and Miriel. Their friendship looked to be as strong as that between Aragorn and the other Halbarad. Young Frodo Gamgee was with them, all three giggling at some lad's jest. The boys were followed by Gilraen and Melian, chattering away with Elanor and her sister Rosie. Merry-lad, Pip-lad and Goldilocks sauntered in seconds later,squabbling amicably with Theo Brandybuck and Fari Took. There were no distinctions of rank between the children of King and hobbits, and sturdy Frodo-lad had been known to wrestle Eldarion to the floor.

       When Arwen entered it was Finrod's turn to gasp. "Ai! Luthien!" he murmured. Elrond smiled, a little sadly.

       "Aye, so many have said. She has Luthien's beauty and shares her fate. I hope she is happy in her choice."

       "She is," Celebrian whispered, laughing through her tears. She had seen the look on her daughter's face when she espied Aragorn. It was a look full of such love and joy that her mother understood why Arwen had made her choice.

       Aragorn came into the room with his hand behind his back, an an expression on his face not unlike a naughty schoolboy. Elrond laughed out loud - the High King looked much as he had done when scolded for some childhood misdemeanour. He called to his wife, and as Arwen approached, he brandished a large sprig of mistletoe over her head and claimed a long kiss.

       The three hobbit lasses grinned. "You'll have to remove all the berries after that!" Rose observed.

       "Why don't we try that?" Pippin enquired, grabbing Diamond and guiding her beneath the huge ball of mistletoe which hung from the central chandelier. Not to be outdone, Merry and Sam seized their wives and did the same.

       Frodo appeared in the doorway, holding an enormous dish of spiced mushrooms. The recipe included tomatoes, onions, garlic, a little chilli or mustard, herbs and concentrated beef stock. Two Wizards had pronounced them a dish fit for Kings, and Frodo had promised Aragorn that he would prepare the dish for Yule.

       The large table was now groaning with food and the sideboard held several bowls of trifle, a fruit salad, a chocolate cake and jugs of fresh cream. Bilbo's stomach rumbled just looking at it all.

       Celebrian pointed at the children and the blissful expression on Arwen's face. "There is her immortality, in her children and the future of a great dynasty. I grieve that I shall not see her again but look at her! Can you doubt she made the right choice?" She smiled tremulously at Elrond. "She would never have known all this had she come here. He is her destiny and her abiding joy."

       Elrond nodded reluctantly. He knew in his heart that his wife was right. It would have been selfish to have taken her away, and he doubted she would have found any of her own kind to bring her such fulfillment.

       "I don't know about anyone else but I can think of nothing but food," said Finrod. Galadriel and Gandalf laughed.

       "Hobbits have that effect! But look! Now you can see Frodo and Sam clearly."

       Finrod stared, astonished. Sam had beckoned Frodo to the window and they stood together, watching the snow slowly blanketing the world. The two small figures radiated light, a light which had been hidden in the Shire for many years, defeated the Darkness and now shone for all to see.

       "It's so beautiful, Sam."

       "Another of Nature's marvels, m'dear. And the plants and seeds will sleep under it till Spring, safe and sound."

       "I'm glad the gardeners leave the berries and seed heads for the birds. Poor little things, they must be so cold. I hope young Will and Hobson are looking after the birds at home and making sure they have fresh water."

       "I'm sure they are. Good responsible lads, both of 'em."

       The lights of silver and gold flared as they smiled at each other before making their way to the table.

                                                                             ************

       The images faded and the palantir becam a sphere of glass once more. Bilbo sighed.

       "All that food. I could eat a horse now."

       "I shall not tell Shadowfax that you said that!" Gandalf said severely, though his eyes twinkled.

       Celebrian embraced her mother and uncle. "You will be pleased to know that we have arranged a small feast this evening and we will be serving some of the hobbits' favourite food, including those mushrooms. Our cooks learned much, some in Imladris from Bilbo and the other hobbits and others who have been taking lessons from Bilbo here."

       "That sounds wonderful," said Finrod.. "Now I know why Glorfindel has remained - he always did enjoy his food."

       "He will need all his warrior skills to obtain much with all those hobbits around!" Gandalf said, and the laughter of the Lady Galadriel drifted up as she descended the staircase.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List