Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

Early Blomath 1431 SR

Frodo closed the front door behind him with his foot and hurried through to the kitchen, where he unloaded the last of his packages on to the table. His trip to Bywater had been very pleasant on such a bright, crisp day, and most successful. Hobbits enjoyed haggling but most of them also liked to barter: Sam's potatoes and other vegetables and fruit from the Bag End gardens proved useful currency. A box of assorted vegetables had bought sausages and chops from the butcher; blackberries and apples were exchanged for some of Frodo's usual stationery and Jeb Sandyman had happily handed over a sack of flour in return for a box of tomatoes and some onions. He had also taken the beeswax from the hives for Flora and Dora Goodsmial at the candle stall, and been given a box of the finest candles in exchange - no smelly tallow candles for Bag End.

       Sam, Rose and the children had been away for nearly a month, staying in the Northfarthing with Sam's brothers and other relations. Sam realised, too late, that their visit would mean they were away for the anniversary of Weathertop, but Frodo reassured him that he no longer suffered any ill-effects and shooed them off with instructions to enjoy themselves. He had delighted in his month in charge of the smial, pottering about doing housework and cooking or strolling down to the Green Dragon or Ivy Bush for a meal and some conversation with others. He had a standing invitation to the Cottons' farm and often called in. Ivy Noakes and Sam's sister May were only too happy to provide meals too and he had eaten very well during Rose's absence.

       He went to the kitchen, checked the fire under the copper and suspended two large cloth-wrapped basins over the steaming water. He had made blackberry and apple puddings early in the morning before leaving for Bywater, and now they would need several hours cooking. Having seen to dessert Frodo chopped assorted vegetables while chicken joints browned in a pan, then piled it all into two deep dishes with garlic, herbs and chicken stock, and set it to cook in the oven.

       This was a special day. The family were due to return by early evening. His family. Frodo savoured the word. He had been fortunate during his lifetime to have been absorbed into many families - the chaotic, affectionate Brandybucks who enfolded him following the death of his parents; Bilbo and the folk of Bagshott Row, who took him to their hearts; the far-flung but tightly connected Fellowship and the now the fiercely loving Gamgees.

       In the study he looked at the pile of letters which had arrived during the last few weeks. Who would have believed that so many exalted people would be writing to the family at Bag End, from the King of the Reunited Kingdoms; the Steward of Gondor; the Steward of Arnor; his brother, Lord Halboron, the Captain-General of the Rangers; the King of Rohan; the Prince of Eryn Lasgalen and Ithilien; the Lord of Aglarond; the Peredhil of Imladris; the Haradri ambassador to Gondor; Lord Glorfindel, and even one from Lord Cirdan at the Havens.

       There was also a letter from Captain Erithain with details of his planned visit, together with his sons, at Yule. Frodo was looking forward to hosting Aragorn's cousin. He vaguely remembered the tall, sombre Man at the Coronation, mainly because he looked as haunted as Frodo felt. They learned that Erithain was Halbarad's brother and his eldest son had also died in the same battle. Now he would have a chance to talk with Erithain and offer what help he could. Apparently little Freddie Took had been instrumental in bringing the solitary Ranger out of his sorrow during the visit to Gondor for Aragorn's hundredth birthday, and the King agreed that a visit to the Shire would also be beneficial. The healing power of hobbits, as Aragorn called it.

                                                                         ************

       The smial was full of delicious smells and warm and cosy. The beds had been aired, fires lit in the bedrooms and Frodo was impatiently awaiting the sound of carriage wheels. The purchase of the coach had been somewhat controversial as Sam felt very strongly that folk would think he was 'getting above himself.' Frodo had finally managed to persuade him, with Rose's assistance, that the cart was no longer a suitable means of conveyance, particularly in bad weather. The gardener had reluctantly seen sense although he declared there would be no coachman driving it. He was at least pleased to find that the coach was not overly decorated, although Frodo had designed a crest to adorn the doors on either side - the B and G glyphs with a blooming rose climbing over and through them. The reaction of Rose and the children was so joyful that Sam had abandoned any further opposition. It would certainly mean that his family could travel in comfort in all weathers.

                                                                         ************

       The children had been bouncing up and down excitedly and the coach entered Hobbiton, and they almost came to blows to see who could see the lights of Bag End first. As they started up the Hill they could see the windows glowing brightly through the murky autumn evening, and there was a pool of light over the doorway.

       "Uncle Fro!"

       "Unca Fo!"

       "We missed you!"

       "It was lovely to see Uncle Ham and Uncle Fred but we wish you'd come too."

       They poured out of the coach and raced up the steps, flinging themselves at their beloved uncle while Sam and Rose watched indulgently. It was some minutes before he was able to extricate himself and run down the steps to the lane, when he took little Goldie and helped Rose out. She wrapped her arms round him and kissed his cheek.

       "They're right - we have missed you, you know."

       Sam climbed down and embraced his brother of the heart. He sniffed appreciatively. "Something smells good."

       "Casseroled chicken and baked potatoes, followed by blackberry and apple pudding with cream."

       "My! You have been busy!"  Rose led the children inside while Sam tried to peer into the garden.

       "It's alright, Sam - I haven't killed anything. The vegetable garden is yielding very well. I took some into Bywater this morning and managed to swap it for all sorts of things, flour, candles, stationery."

       "I hope you didn't carry anything too heavy."

       "I took Molly with the little cart. She behaved very well."

       Sam laughed ruefully. "You're the only person she'd do that for. If I tried hitching that one to a cart I'd have a kick on the shin for my pains!"

       They took the coach up to the top of the lane and unhitched the ponies. With the coach under cover, they rubbed the ponies down and settled them back in their stable, where Molly and Limlight were delighted to see them again.

       Leaving the ponies to their supper the two hobbits hurried back to Bag End and their own. Rose had removed her bonnet and changed into a comfortable old dress and the children were in their nightclothes. It only took a few minutes to dish up and soon they were all sitting round the table, all busy eating to start with but then they began to tell Frodo all about their visit to the Nothrfarthing and Tighfield. The children were full of tales about their cousins and the adventures they had, and it was late before they were ready for bed. As they reluctantly departed Ellie ran back to hug Frodo once more.

       "What Da says is true - there's no place like home!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List