Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

Yule Eve 1430 SR

It was the day before Mettarė in Gondor. The King liked to combine this with the Yule festival as celebrated in the Northern Kingdom, and the children were helping to decorate the private apartments in the northern manner, with ivy, juniper and pine boughs. Holly did not grow naturally in the south lands but Sam had sent some young holly bushes to Gondor seven years previously and these flourished on the lower slopes of Mount Mindolluin and in the wetter lands of South Gondor. Legolas had encouraged mistletoe to grow on apple boughs in Ithilien and there was now enough to have a few small sprigs hung over doorways. The bright red of the holly berries combined with the shiny, prickly leaves, and the white-berried mistletoe delighted the royal children, who were somewhat over-excited. They had been joined by the children of the Steward and his Lady, and six lively youngsters were running around, shrieking and bumping into things. Eowyn rolled her eyes sympathetically at Arwen, who seemed completely immune to the noise. She was an oasis of calm amid the chaos and Eowyn realised yet again just why Aragorn adored her. Eowyn herself was forced to raise her voice and shout to gain the children's attention but Arwen merely clapped her hands, placed a finger on her lips and said, "Hush!"and all was quiet.

        Faramir arrived from the Steward's Apartments and the company was increased within minutes by Legolas and Gimli.

       "Where's Aragorn?" asked Gimli, surveying the room. "And what's all this?" He made a sweeping gesture with his hand to indicate the chairs and couches, which had been re-arranged to form a circle around a small table.

       "He's gone to fetch something," said Arwen. "You'll find out what this is for when he returns. Children! Come and sit down now. We have a surprise gift for you."

       The children were in their places in seconds, gazing expectantly at the Queen. Legolas laughed merrily.

       Aragorn appeared, holding something wrapped in black silk. He was wearing his oldest and most comfortable clothes, and looked very cheerful. He placed the cloth-draped bundle on the small table, removed his boots and greeted his wife, children and guests.

       "Come! Sit and make yourselves comfortable. I have a very special gift for everyone today."

       They all found seats, Melian and Theodwyn on their mothers' laps, and he unveiled the round globe of the palantir, to gasps and murmurs. He addressed them, particularly the children.

       "Before we go any further I want to make it clear that this will not be a frequent occurrence. The palantir is not a plaything, nor is its use to be taken lightly. The control of the seeing-stone is something which must be acquired. One day, my son, I shall begin to teach you this, but do not think that you could do so yet. And although we do not believe that any are left in evil hands, care is needed lest we fall unwittingly under the control of another." He glanced at Faramir. "It could happen to anyone. Is this clear?"

       "Yes adar!"

       "Yes, Lord Elessar!" the children chorused.

       "Good. I know you have long wished to meet the Gamgee children and see the Shire, and this must suffce until we can all visit." He held his hand above the palantir, closed his eyes and turned the stone to his will.

       "I can see lights!" cried Gilraen.

       "So can I!" said Elboron, hands clasped in his excitement.

       "Those are the lights of New Row, on the Hill," Legolas explained, smiling as Melian stretched out her hands towards the windows of the Row.

       It felt as though they were travelling up the Hill. The lights of Bag End shone brightly, but even as they watched, the lights were dimmed, the round door opened and a gaggle of cloaked and bundled little hobbits tumbled out, giggling and chattering in high-pitched tones.

       "That's Elanor!" Finduilas exclaimed. "She's so pretty!" The light from the lamp above the door was shining full on the face of the graceful hobbit lass.

       "She above all carries my daernaneth's blessing," said Arwen softly.

       "Look! Frodo-lad looks just like Uncle Sam."

       As the small Gamgees spilled down the path, Rose's voice could be heard issuing instructions.

       "Ellie! Hang on to Merry-lad. Fro, make sure Rosie has her mittens on. Miss Rosie Gamgee! If you take that scarf off once more you will be staying in your bed for the evening!" It won't strangle you - don't be silly!"

       Everyone watching laughed at these commands, and the disgruntled expression on little Rosie's face. Rose was next, carrying her bump gracefully and proudly. She had a basket over her arm and several jars could be seen inside. Clearly there would be pickles at the party. Sam stepped out, carrying a well-muffled baby Pip. Behind him came Frodo, wearing thick warm clothes, a scarf and his fur-lined cloak from Rivendell. He paused as Rufus sauntered past him, followed by his small shadow, then shrugged and closed the front door.

       "Where are they all going?" asked Elboron.

       Aragorn laughed. "This is one of the most important northern customs. They have all made lists of the year's troubles and griefs, and these will be burnt at the Yule bonfire, as they prepare to put the old year behind them and welcome the new. Then they await the procession of the Apple-Man, when cider is poured around the roots of the apple trees in all the orchards, to ensure a good crop next year. Merry and Pippin will be doing the same in Buckland - it is the turn of the Brandybucks to host the festivities this year."

       The family reached New Row and were joined by a great crowd of children who all swarmed towards the Party Field. Aragorn, Faramir, Legolas and Gimli identified the hobbits as they joined the throng, all laughing and talking, faces flushed with cold and pleasure.

       "There's Widow Rumble and her daughter."

       "That's the Bunce family - they live at Number 4 - and there's Nat Grubb and his family from next door at Number 5."

       "Oh look! There's May - she is said to be the most like Sam's mother. Those are her children - and there's Hob, her husband.......oh! and there's Mrs Sandyman."

       Ivy Sandyman and her family greeted the Bag End residents. Violet tucked her arm through Ellie's and they were joined by Tansy Bunce and May's daughter Teasel. Tully Noakes led his family through the gate and over the stile at the end of New Row and the whole group made their way down the Hill. Columbine skipped ahead to be with Ellie and her friends.

       It was a beautiful night in the Shire. A spangling of frost glittered on the grass and bushes and the trees seemed to have been dusted with sugar. Multitudes of stars twinkled in the blackness of the night sky like diamonds on velvet and the Moon hung low above the fields like a great lantern.

       In the far corner of the Party Field stood a cart. The horse, covered in a thick blanket, was munching contentedly from a bucket of warm mash which steamed in the cold air. Mrs Cotton and her daughters-in-law were unloading trays of pasties and pies as Jolly and Tom set up a great cauldron of soup. The crackle of roasting chestnuts and the smell of mulled cider filled the air until those watching in far away Minas Anor were salivating.

       The fire was burning well. Frodo led the little ones towards it, instructing them to stay outside the circle of stones which had been placed around it. A stray flame might easily catch a dangling scarf or the hem of a cloak and lead to disaster. He advised them to roll their lists into a ball and throw them in because flat pieces of paper would be caught by the wind and not reach the fire. They did as they were told. Merry-lad was first, followed by most of the others who went forward in a large group. Frodo glanced around to check the whereabouts of Rufus and Sooty, who were sitting together on a bench, far away from the flames, eating sausages. He threw his own piece of paper in and stood in thought for a moment or two.

       "I wonder what Uncle Frodo's sorrows were this year?" said Eldarion. "It's been a nice year for him, hasn't it?"

       His father smiled and placed a hand on the boy's shoulder. "I suspect his only sorrow was that Ted Sandyman could not be saved. That would be a great regret I think." He watched as Mrs Sandyman murmured something to Frodo, who nodded, smiled and moved back from the fire. "I daresay the Sandyman family have those regrets too, even if Ted's death has made their lives easier and less frightening."

       Most hobbits having visited the fire, they now stood around sipping mulled cider, eating chestnuts and talking. Many were already at the table, helping themselves to spiced mushrooms, baked potatoes in their jackets, meat pies and sausages. Everyone had cooked something for the feast. Heaped plates and full tankards and good company were the basic ingredients in any hobbit gathering.

       "I wish we could be there - it looks such fun," said Eowyn.

       "One day we shall all go there, I promise," said the King.

       The sudden slow beat of a drum was heard. Hobbits looked up and then began to file over to the lane. The flare of torches was visible in the distance, and chanting voices gradually made themselves heard. The children were hushed and open-mouthed, and even the adults in the King's sitting-room were still. Somehow there was an ancient power in this simple procession, something which reached back in time to Ages long past, and raised the hair on the back of the neck.

                   The Apple Man cometh, .

                   Be full of good cheer!

                  And bid a farewell to

                  The last of the year.

                            *****

                 The earth is a-sleeping  

                  The trees are at rest.

             Let's make sure the harvest

                 Next year is the best!  

                          *****

                 So fill up the tankard

                And pour in the brew.

              Let Apple Man's blessing

                 Fall full upon you!

       The procession arrived in the Party Field, to cheers from those assembled. The tall figure leading the group was two hobbits, one upon the shoulders of the other, to make him as large as a man. He wore a long green cloak, and around his brow he wore a wreath of ivy and yew. He carried a staff of apple wood and his attendants bore sacks of apples on their backs, which they handed out to one and all, in exchange for mugs of cider. Having visited one or two other villages in the West Farthing, they were considerably merry. When they had drunk their fill, eaten some food and poured a libation round the roots of the mallorn, Sam took them up to Bag End, where the Apple Man blessed the orchard, gave the trees a good helping of cider and told them to yield well next season. Then they walked back to the lane, accepted a large basket full of food and wound their way - slightly unsteadily, it must be said - towards Overhill.

        Several hobbits set up an impromptu band and soon most folk were dancing. Rufus watched the proceedings through half-closed eyes while little Sooty dozed beside him.

       The scene faded, much to the disappointment of the children - and adults. However, they were grateful to have had the chance to see their friends and the young hobbits they knew of from letters and their fathers' vivid descriptions.

       "That was so lovely! Thank you, adar."

       "Thank you, Lord Elessar."

       "Thank you, my love," said Arwen. She smiled at everyone. "I have another little surprise for you. As we have had a wonderful visit to the Shire, I thought we should have a hobbity high tea."

       It was the work of a few moments to replace the couches in their more usual arrangement while Aragorn returned the palantir to its locked room in the White Tower. He returned to find the tables full of delicious food - tomato soup, spiced garlic mushrooms, potato cakes, sausages wrapped in bacon, crusty bread with fresh creamy butter - and Faramir and Gimli were preparing mulled wine while the children drank fruit punch. Watching the Shire-folk seemed to have inspired everyone and they all ate with gusto until there was nothing left.

       "This has been perfect," said Legolas. "I felt I was there."

       "We must write and tell them how much we enjoyed our visit, adar. I wish they could see us."

       "They do have a portrait of you so they know what you look like. And now you have seen the delightful little Gamgees and their friends. Now you know what we mean about Bag End being a very special place."

       "With very special people in it," added Eldarion, and everyone agreed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List