Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

The Shire, Halimath, 1430

The children held their breath and tried not to giggle. Sooty, the new kitten at Bag End, was racing up and down the passageway with a cotton reel. He had lots of energy and could play for hours, and they found his antics most amusing. He was being especially funny on this particular morning because Rose had polished the floor and he was finding it difficult to keep his feet. Twice he had skidded into the wall, much to his surprise and indignation, not to mention the amusement of the children.

       Rufus eschewed such undignified behaviour but he continued to keep an eye on his little friend, feigning disdain by washing a paw and half-closing his eyes. Sooty tried to interest him in the cotton-reel and Rufus finally obliged by rolling it back to him. Overjoyed, Sooty pounced on his uncle and pulled his tail until Rufus felt sufficiently goaded to chase him for a while, delighting the family.

When Sooty had finally exhausted himself, the girls carried him off to the dolls' cradle, tucked him in and sang him to sleep. Rufus was pleased that they no longer tried to do the same to him. Sooty actually enjoyed the fuss and attention, which made the little ones happy. Such things were far too silly for a grow-up cat with status to maintain.

                                                                         ************

       Quickly glancing round to check that no-one was looking, Rufus wiggled and pounced on the cotton reel, kicked at it and rushed after it, going into a long skid halfway down the passage. He smacked into the wall and lay on his back with his paws in the air for half a minute before rolling over and staggering to his feet. He shook himself, outraged. When he was sure he had not been observed, the big red tabby stalked away, tail high in the air. At least he had not been seen in such an undignified predicament.

       Behind the study door, Frodo was bent double in hysterical giggles.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List