Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

On their visit to Gondor in 1429 SR, the hobbits visit Ithilien and see what the people of Harad and elsewhere have sent to King Elessar.

Takes place in my usual AU, during the visit to Gondor described in 'Reunion in Minas Tirith.'

 

Two bear cubs sported and tumbled in the grass, trundling after their mother as she hunted for pieces of fruit which had been hidden inside a log. Rose had never seen anything so delightfully cuddly and rotund. She wished she could pet them but she knew that the mother bear would not allow it, and even at such a tender age the cubs had sharp claws and teeth.

       They were visiting the large menagerie, which consisted mostly of animals which had been presented to Aragorn as diplomatic gifts. It was not practical to have such a thing in the city but South Ithilien was perfect. There was plenty of room for the animals to have a certain amount of freedom and a natural life, with trees for cover and glades and pools to play and feed in.

       Gimli laughed. "I see all those poor bewildered bears you took out of the bear-baiting pits have settled. Beorn would approve." He nodded over to a vast area where several bears splashed in a stream.

       "Poor things," said Frodo. "Those and the dancing bears were the most upsetting thing about our first glimpse of the White City. I was surprised they'd survived at all."

       "They were chained up, otherwise they would have panicked and fled, adding to the general confusion. I always disliked such so-called sports, and it was one of the first things I did, freeing the poor things. Some of the city's wealthier ladies helped to care for them and pay for them to be transported here. Some of them are old and scarred, but they have mostly recovered from their ordeals and seem to enjoy life here in the woods. They are too used to being fed to fend for themselves, but they do well."

       Frodo pointed to something which appeared above some of the trees. It was clearly the head of a large animal but it looked extraordinary - a bit like a horse, a little like a deer, and yet not really like anything else they had ever seen, with pricked ears, small protuberances like blunt horns, and a very long dark tongue which appeared supple enough to wrap around leaves and branches.

       "I've seen a picture of this in one of Bilbo's books! It's a.........a giraffe! I had no idea they were so tall!"

       Faramir chuckled. "No, they are rather a shock the first time you see one. These two are quite tame though, at least to the people who work with them. They will take fruit from your hand if you are very quiet and still."

       One of the creatures emerged from the cover of the trees and looked at them. After some minutes, perceiving them to be no threat, it strolled on enormously long legs towards the fence and peered down. It was strangely marked, with a pale coat covered in dark reddish-brown blotches.

       "Who is looking at who, I wonder?" Sam mused.

       "Look at the length of those eyelashes!" Rose exclaimed. "There's any number of lasses who'd give their eye teeth to have lashes that long!"

       Aragorn laughed. "Now that is a comment I have not heard before, Rose. Although I see what you mean - those lashes are longer than a cow's."

       Merry held up a piece of fruit and the animal, after a moment's consideration, took it with great care. Soon all five hobbits were feeding both giraffes with fruit and choice bits of greenery, even managing to stroke their heads and necks.

                                                                          ************

       Following a picnic lunch they returned to view more of the sanctuary. Sam was surprised that the lions were so peaceably indolent. He had expected them to be snarling, fighting beasts and it was something of a shock to see them lounging in a clearing, grooming themselves like any fireside cat.

       The tigers, from the jungles of lands beyond Harad, were more intimidating. They moved with oiled grace, magnificent and menacing, plunging into a pool inside their large enclosure and sparring.

       "They really are the most beautiful animals," said Aragorn, his voice full of admiration. "The largest of all the big cats."

       "Cats? You mean they're related to cats?" Rose was astonished.

       "It is thought so. Gandalf told me this once, and I have read it in books while in Rivendell. There are certain similarities."

       "Well I never," Sam murmured. He squinted at the massive striped cats as they wrestled in the water. "Good thing Rufus didn't grow that big!"

       Merry started to chuckle. "You wouldn't try moving him off your chair if he was!"

       "Or rub his tum with your toe!" Pip said with a howl.

       "They look so brightly coloured, and yet in long grass they almost disappear. I suppose that enables them to sneak up on their prey, much as Rufus does?" Frodo mused.

       Eldarion was gazing intently at the beasts. "They're my favourites. Those and the leopards. I wish I could touch one."

       "Perhaps if there is an orphan or rejected cub you may be able to at some future time, but we do not normally touch them. Their keepers can do so though, but they have known them a long time. It can be difficult to treat them if they are sick, because we cannot examine them. But here in Ithilien they are well cared-for, the air is healthy and they are properly fed." Aragon smiled. "I try to make it known that I do not like to keep animals in captivity, and most lords have stopped trying to present me with oddities. In the very far north, in the lands of ice, there are white bears. One of those would be deadly, since their expression does not change when they are about to attack, giving attendants no warning. I would hope no-one would ever be foolish enough to give me one of those, but you never know."

       Faramir and the King exchanged a glance. "I think you will be interested in our most recent additions, Sam. We have been saving them till last for you."

       They rounded a corner of high fencing and trees and arrived at the entrance to a huge enclosure. In front of them was a pool, and playing in it, spraying the attendant with impish glee was a creature Sam recognised at once.

       "It's a baby oliphaunt! Stars and glory! I never thought I'd see one again."

       "A baby?!" Rose gasped. "If that's a baby, how big is the mother?"

       Merry pointed to the right, where another attendant was sluicing water over a full-grown mumak.

       "Does that answer your question, Rose?"

       "That baby is adorable," said Pippin.

       The attendant, a smiling Haradri with a black moustache and very white teeth, brought his young charge forward. The little creature was covered in a surprising amount of hair and had large eyes and a winsome expression.

       "Sweet," said Rose. "How old?"

       "Six months, ma'am." The man spoke heavily accented Westron.

       "How long do the mothers carry for?" Rose curved her hand in front of herself to indicate pregnancy.

       "Almost two years."

       "Then I'm very glad I'm not a mumak!" she responded, to much laughter.

       The creature responded happily to fuss and petting. Rose giggled when it stretched out its trunk and explored Frodo's face. He caressed the oliphaunt's face and head, talking softly. Legolas drew the mother forward, and she joined her offspring in examining the Ring-bearer.

       "Hopefully no more need die in futile wars," said Legolas. "They are now used to move logs and other heavy loads, for they are intelligent. Usually they live in large family groups but the mother was left an orphan when so many of her own group were taken for use as beasts of war. She has been cared for by her handler, who came from Harad to remain with her, and to teach others how they should be treated."

       The mother moved to her baby, going over it carefully with her trunk. The young one responded and pushed underneath her to suckle.

       "I never thought I'd see an oliphaunt," Rose said as they withdrew and walked back towards their camp.

       "And now you have?" asked Aragorn.

       "I thought they sounded fearsome but they seemed so gentle and the mother was very loving to her baby."

       Frodo sighed. "Anything can be a weapon in the wrong hands, Rose. Men used the creatures' size to dominate and injure. It wasn't the poor animals' fault. I'm so glad they weren't all killed. And I'm sure Sam is delighted that they're still around."

       "I am that. Perhaps one day the children will be able to see one."

       "Knowing our children they'll want one as a pet!"

       Merry snorted. "Well, that will give Mrs Goodloam something to gossip about!"

       "Something other than Mad Baggins you mean?" Frodo asked, to the amusement of his friends, as they sat down to supper, surrounded by the sounds of the menagerie and the native creatures of Ithilien.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List