Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

A Shire Sketchbook  by Baggins Babe

The rain seemed to have set in for the day. It trickled down the windows, ran in rivulets along the lanes, carried twigs, leaves and small stones in swirls and soaked the flower and vegetable beds in the gardens at Bag End.

       Sam tutted under his breath, fretting about the battering his flowers were receiving.

       "Never mind, Sam. It saves you having to water. The flowers will bounce back." Frodo swirled the tealeaves in the pot and replaced the lid.

       "The roses will look tatty after such a pounding. Why does it have to be all or nothing?"

       "Ah but think how fresh and clean the garden will look - and smell," Frodo teased.

       Sam grinned. "Tou're being a proper little ray of sunshine, aren't you? Alright, I'll stop grumbling. The little ones are bored."

       "They're being too quiet too," said Rose. "Best see what they're up to, or who knows what will happen?"

       Frodo ambled down the passageway and looked in at the nursery. Frodo-lad and little Merry were playing quietly with a fort and some soldiers which Aragorn had sent for the older Gamgee lad's birthday.

       "Oh! Where are your sisters?"

       Merry-lad shrugged. Young Fro turned and smiled at his uncle. "I think they're in the parlour."

       Frodo walked back, looking thoughtful. He made his way to the parlour and listened to the intense whispered chatter and giggling. As silent as only a hobbit could be, he edged closer and looked round the door frame. The two girls were busy tending to Ellie's dolls' cradle, solicitously tucking blankets round the occupant. He felt rather guilty for suspecting the children of mischief when they were clearly amusing themselves very well.

       "So, my dears, which of your dolls is in there today?"

       He was surprised that both lasses looked so shifty. Peering in to the cradle, he soon discovered the reason for their discomfiture. Rufus was sprawled inside, his furry face a picture of disgruntled and long-suffering resignation. He was wearing a little blue knitted jacket and a matching bonnet which the girls had found in the nursery closet. They did not suit him.

       Frodo schooled his expression carefully, not wishing to embarrass the children or his beloved cat, who hated being laughed at. "I think you may want to take those off him in a minute. I don't think he likes clothes."

       Ellie sighed. "He let us dress him but now he's getting a bit cross."

       Sam appeared in the doorway. "Anything wrong?"

       "No, Sam, we're just..........."

       Frodo managed no more before Rufus erupted out of the cradle and streaked for the door, grumbling to himself. Less than a minute later, and before Sam had had time to register that he had seen a cat in a woolly jacket and frilly bonnet, there was a clatter from the kitchen, followed by "What in the Shire.......?"

       "Ooops!" said Rosie-lass. I think Mum's seen him."

       "I think you're right, lass." her father agreed. He looked at Frodo, who was snorting and giggling helplessly. "You alright?"

       "I'm fine..........Just............." He waved a hand and sank on to the footstool, laughing uproariously.

       Rose arrived. "Now you can call me a ninnyhammer, but I've just seen a cat in a bonnet. Am I cracked or is there something you want to tell me?"

       They found the cast-off bonnet in the passage and an indignant cat in the kitchen, still fighting his way out of the jacket. Frodo removed it and found some food as a peace offering. Rufus regarded the girls in a suspicious manner but Frodo allowed them to give the cat his food and make a fuss of him.

       Sam returned from the nursery with the boys and announced that the rain had stopped. Within seconds the smial was silent as four young hobbits raced into the lane to jump in puddles, squealing and shrieking..

       When Frodo went into the parlour to collect a book, he found Rufus curled up inside the dolls' cradle, sound asleep with his tail wrapped round his nose.

       "Contrary cat," he said fondly, and Rufus purred.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List